“Great local atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #44 of 84 Restaurants in Hertford
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Description: Situated at the head of the river lee navigation in Hertford, The Old Barge pub makes an excellent destination for cyclists, walkers and river users. A proper family (Children welcome until 7pm)local pub in a riverside setting with a beer garden, small car park and sheltered, heated smoking area to the rear.A delicious contemporary British menu, with daily chef's specials, complements an extensive range of real ales, World beers, lagers, ciders, perrys, wines and a premium bottled selection.There is a pub quiz night every sunday, and a music quiz every last Thursday of the month, free jazz club with live jazz on the second Thursday of the month & regular beer festivals throughout the year. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hertford, United Kingdom
“Great local atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Really good food, but a tad expensive. Excellent choice of British ales and unusual wines and ciders. Pub quiz on a Sunday is always heaving and local music and films are often played. Very close to Hertford Museum and the river too, so a lovely afternoon can be spent within a few metres of having lunch!

Visited September 2012

London, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous Pub, Lovely Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Can't really describe how much I like this pub, but I'll try! The food is lovely, not what you'd call cheap as such but it's completely reasonable for what you get in terms of quality & indeed quantity. They make a real effort to inclusiveness, which I think is appreciated by all - they have film nights and staff ask patrons if they're aware of the film and if they'd like to watch where to sit etc. There's a very popular (and quite tough!) quiz on a Sunday which is always very well attended and random one off things as well - this year I saw there was the Folly Olympics and I believe there's some sort of murder mystery themed evening soon also. It's beautiful in the summer by the canal and cosy in the winter - can't lose, really!

My other half likes his ale and assures me they have a very good selection here with some quite different ones to try - I believe they have guest ales and such.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Love the beer!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The beer here is amazing! It's nice to have a place to go to have real ale instead of having to drink an over priced tasteless pint of lager.

Food's not bad either. Nothing too fancy. Quiz on sunday is always a good laugh as well.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hertford, United Kingdom
“Traditional Real Ale Pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

As said in title a traditional and cosy pub with friendly staff. My second positive review of the Old Barge.

“Don't eat here”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

The food is of a average quality with above average pricing. Sitting outside and the door to the kitchen is open with a sign proclaiming "don't bother us.....". I wanted to point out the cracked tiles, the food stored on the floor, the dirty walls and lack of fly screen but I don't want to bother them. I used to love coming here but one little sign has ruined it for me.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
howmanytimes, Manager at The Old Barge, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Our sign very politely asks 'Please don't bother us, we are busy cooking dinners!'
I am truly sorry you have taken so much offence to it. We had to take measures to stop customers wandering in and out as this was a health and safety issue!
I don't think it warrants the review you have left, there are no cracked tiles, the walls are regularly washed down, there is no food stored on the floor, we don't have a fly screen as we have an electric bug zapper. We would hardly leave the door open all day if we had anything to hide, but the kitchen does get very hot, so the crew working in there like to have a bit of fresh air!
You can see from the photos on this site that we have a food hygiene rating of 5.
Our food and pricing has remained consistent for at least the last 6 years we have been here.
If something else has upset you please do come in and speak to me.
Sally Davis - Manager.