“It's really not that bad!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Oak Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ledbury
The Royal Oak Hotel
You added The Royal Oak Hotel to your Saves list
The Southend, Ledbury HR8 2EY, England   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ledbury
London
“It's really not that bad!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2008

I have stayed at the Royal Oak four times while househunting in Ledbury and plan to use it again. Whilst it is very far from perfect - it needs a lot of money spent on it to fulfill its potential - calling it the worst hotel in the world is completely absurd. I have always found the management pleasant if engaging disorganised - they have undercharged me twice - the bar meals are good value and the breakfast no worse than Bog standard. At £75/night for a family room, it is terrific value for money.

• Liked — Location, historic building
  • Disliked — Poor decor, not always clean
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2008

This is simply the worst hotel in the world.

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for one night when we went to a friend's wedding at Eastnor Castle.

I am not fussy but this hotel was revolting and if I wasn't drunk I would have slept in the car.

Our room had a stain on the floor that looked like dried vomit, the bedding wasabout 100 years old and stank, the toilet seat was broken and the bathroom was filthy. The soap in the bathroom smelt of vomit and I was scared to touch anything in the room as it was all sticky.

I can't stress how hideous this place is - do not stay here!!!!!!

• Liked — Absolutely nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
theoak99, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Oak Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2011
Would just like to respond to this review the premises were seriously neglected by the previous owner we took over the building in the June 2008 with a lot of work, and dedication we have turned the premises around so can only assure people this is no longer the case.

Kind Regards
Copenhagen
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

This hotel comes close to one of the worst I have ever visited. The overall feel of the hotel was old and run down. I have seen one of the other reviews, stating that the breakfast was wonderful. I think they must have been reviewing another hotel (there is another Royal Oak out of town), as the breakfast we had was absolutely awful.
As we weren't satisfied with the room, we agreed on a reduction in price with the receptionist. However, a couple of weeks later, when I Iook at my statement, the original payment has been cancelled and the full room rate has been charged instead!!

• Liked — The room was clean
  • Disliked — Most unconfortable bed I have ever slept in
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple

Kind Regards
worcester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2007

I came to the Royal oak hotel for a weekend away with a friend. The welcome was fantastic, the room spacious, clean and tidy.
We ate in the resteraunt in the evening and the meal was fantastic, service was brillant and price was excellant.
We drank in the bar afterwards and the staff there were very friendly with very reasonal drink prices.
We had a fantastic nights sleep in the very comfortable beds and ended a wonderful stay with an excellant full english breakfast.

• Liked — clean and tidy
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Seattle Wa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2007

This hotel was outstanding! The old world charm, and the friendly, welcoming staff made this place hard to leave. The room was spacious and impeccably clean. This was nicer and more welcoming then our London hotel by far. The staff worked hard to keep it clean, and to make sure you had clean towels and fresh bedding. I cannot rave enough about this place! The owners actually hand drew us a map of places to see while we were there!

You must try the breakfast. This place had the best breakfast that I encountered while traveling all over England.

We will definately stay here next time we visit Ledbury (which will hopefully be soon!). This town is a wonderful place, a must see, and this hotel is a must stay! You won't be dissappointed, and it's a lovely change from the busy, unwelcoming places in London.

• Liked — The Staff and the food
  • Disliked — nothing it was all wonderful
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
mid glamorgan south wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2006

we recently stayed in the royal oak hotel ledbury for one night,i became a little concerned after reading reviews from other guests that had stayed at the royal oak, after finding out that the hotel was under new ownership we decided to go ahead with our booking,and i am so glad that we did,you could see that the new proprietors had worked very hard to get this hotel up and running,they had only been in the hotel four days before we arrived, we were made to feel very welcome,we had a long chat with the owners before we were shown to our room,yes which had old furniture in it,[to put modern furniture in an old hotel like the roal oak i think would look out of place don't you?] the bed linen was nice and clean,also the towels which someone remarked on were all new, all the tables in the dining room were all layed out as they should be. this hotel i know with a little tender loving care can be brought back to life again, i fell in love with the place,will i go back there again "oh" yes i will, i wish the proprietors all the best and good luck for the future,
"oh" i nearly forgot we were served with a lovely full cooked breakfast before we left, once again thank you both and good luck.

• Liked — there is a graet deal of work to be done to this hotel.i liked the fact that the owners were awilling to work hard to bring this hotel back to it's full glory
  • Disliked — the fact that the decor was dark in the bar erea.but i know that there are planes to brighten up the hotel
  • Tips/Secrets — give this hotel a try. don't give uo on it
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
Leicester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2006

If you should ever visit the lovely town of Ledbury sure to stay well clear of booking a room at this hotel.

My husband and I were attending a friends wedding recently, so made a booking well in advance to stay closeby. I should of known from the moment I telephoned to try and make a reservation with them that they'd be problems. I called 3 times with a promise each time I'd get a call back, which never happened, thankfully the 4th time worked. When we arrived mid afternoon, the building was locked up, had to telephone them to let us in, nearly half an hour we were shown in. We were instantly hit with a strong smell of stale smoke. We got to our room and it was, well just awful. It was very dark, look like they'd been to a chariry shop to kit it out. The bedlinen was clean but well used, the bathroom, well the towels had seen better days, could of done with a boil wash and the bath was in need of a deep scrub and finally a nice little note on the bed saying ' this room does not come with breakfast' even though I'd already been told that it would when I'd made the reservation. We left our room to go and meet some friends at The Talbot ( a much nicer place and cheaper ) and tried one or two other hotels to see if we move with no joy so we put up with it for the night.

If we'd of had small children, there is no way on earth I would of stayed there at all.

Also, the female manager would do well by going on a training day on how to be polite and friendly and look like she enjoy's her job even if does'nt and have that service with a smile attitude.

A real waste of space for such a nice town.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Seeing our room
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay at the Talbot around the corner.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Royal Oak Hotel? Share your experiences!