“Not good enough, sadly.” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #73 of 216 Restaurants in Hereford
Cuisines: British
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Not good enough, sadly.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

My 60th birthday was celebrated at The Orange Tree, but had we not been a party of 8 who were determined to enjoy ourselves, the evening could have been a flop. The bar man struggled to get our drinks served right. The Prawn Cocktail lacked taste/seasoning. The Steak House ran out of fillet and rump steaks (by 8.00 pm!!). A dish of sea bass was disgustingly slimy - to the point it had to be spat out! The 'panache' of veg was cold (is that what panache means???!), and they where obviously quite glad the place emptied earlyish (for a Saturday night) and obviously where looking forward to us going so they could go home too.
On the plus side, the steaks we had were lovely.
Thank goodness we had a great time when we got back to my place! The after-dinner drinks went down really well - as we certainly didn't feel there was a welcome for us to have after dinner drinks in the restaurant. We weren't even asked if we'd like coffees! (And we really weren't a rowdy group, nor did we complain rudely - we only told them about the fish, and that was done in a quiet way.) Ah well, we'll wait for the next new management before we go again.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Hereford, United Kingdom
“very expensive for average food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We were a party of 8. The drinks are very expensive and my beer (the only choice of bitter) was flat and smelt weird. The member of staff apologised and changed it for lager- no other choice available. The starter was nice and the steaks were good (except the fillet I ordered was not available so I had to change to sirloin). 3 of our party went for the sea bass (one of only a couple of non steak options), The fish was "slimy" and should have come on crushed potatoes. There were just 3 whole potatoes on the side of the plate and 3 French beans. We told the waitress about the slimy fish and she offered to change the meal- but by then everyone else would have eaten theirs anyway so we declined. We also told her about the potatoes not being crushed- she just said- I know- sorry about that.
I felt that for the price we paid this was nowhere near good enough food and won't be going again- disappointing .

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Took my boyfriend for his birthday and was a little apprehensive as he's a veggie and it's a steak house but the it was amazing!! Staff so accommodating and the veggie option was delicious but we we're offered anything we might like!' Steak for me was beautiful and chips to die for!! Staff lovely felt like I could have stayed all night and a complimentary glass of champers as birthday celebrations! Lovely lovely place x x

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Disappointing visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We visited Friday evening and the restaurant was not too busy. Nice ambiance and attentive friendly waiters. Very disappointing meal, husband had pate to start, and the portion size was tiny, we did mention this and they brought another small piece. My fillet steak was cool and served on a cold plate, but the flavour was good, the mashed potato this came with was also cool but delicious. Our friend and my husband had the Chateaubriand, again this looked quite small, and was cool....but the flavour was good. Perhaps they had been standing while the other food cooked. These meals come with a small salad leaves garnish and three roasted cherry tomatoes, no other vegetables. The price you pay for the meals is not cheap so you would expect a small selection of vegetables or proper side salad really. Lemon tart and clotted cream for dessert, unfortunately cream tasted and smelt like cheese, this was sent back. I don't think we will be going back for a while.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Burmingham
“Truley wonderful meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I ate at the orange tree earlier this week and it was so good I've deceived to write a review.
The restaurant is warm, cosey and nicely decorated and the staff were welcoming too.
We had two glasses of beautiful French red wine whilst sat at the bar and decided to have lunch. My friend had sausage and mash which she thoroughly enjoyed and said she would happily have again and I had the pulled pork warm baguette with coldslaw and salad. It was wonderful and I would definitely recommend it to try.
We both had deserts which were wonderful and fresh and we felt very satisfied after.
The service was great, the timing between courses was perfect and we will DEFINATLY be eating there again!
Well done to the orange tree!!

• Visited October 2013