“Average medium price range independent hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Three Counties Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Belmont Road, Hereford HR2 7BP, England   |
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Hereford
Chester
“Average medium price range independent hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

OK, people always want to know the bad points of a hotel first but let's have a look the good points first:

Staff were very friendly (even the cleaner who appeared in my bedroom unnanounced) and made you feel very welcome - like an old friend, really. Restaurant staff were good - well done chaps. Check in was easy - thank you - and the car park was, in my opinion, very secure, being overlooked by the reception.

A notice in my room informed me that the rooms were in the process of being upgraded and in my room and the bathroom had been completed to a very good standard. If this is an indication of what is to come, this bodes well.

OK, here are the not so good points:
Hotel is a typical late 70's or 80's period hotel with beige decor to suit. It is bordered by McDonalds on one side and local housing estate on the other. It's just that bit too far outside town to take a stroll into the centre. Forget about sitting out in the evening overlooking an inviting vista. The bar reeks of stale beer and it hits you before you even reach the entrance - be prepared. I stayed with a business colleague and had dinner in the restaurant, this was a mixed success. Starters were good and the selection of desserts was also welcoming, but the main course was one of 2 extremes. My colleagues chicken looked huge and inviting, I had Giant Scampi, but I think the scampi had scarpered and what was left were 8 (yes, I counted them) shrimp sized scraps covered in batter camouflaged by mounds of chopped salad - insultingly rubbish and must have breached the trades description act.

Summary:
A good place to rest your head? If you're on a budget, then yes it most definitely is. Thank you Three Counties

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Loule, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Booked very late Saturday evening,Terry on reception was very helpful couldnt do enough for us.The rooms were quiet and clean with good room facilities and my only negative was my TV didn't work. Great hotel for the area,checked out three others before going to this one all wanted to rip us off as it was late,not here!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
gosport
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

We stayed at the Three Counties Hotel as part of a large party with family for part of a HMS Warrior Reunion.

The hotel was clean, warm and the staff were welcoming. The rooms in the main building were lovely and warm with fluffy clean towels. The beds were lovely and clean.

The food was exceptional, although we had a hitch on Saturday night during dinner. We were the last table to be served and we were waiting for vegetables to go with the meat course. It transpired that they hotel had only catered for 5 tables for veg, when there were 6. Our meat was getting cold. When we complained and asked about this, we were given left over veg from someone elses table. None of the staff serving seemed to know what to do. I don't think any of us had any vegetables with our meal that night. I was served a vegetarian option, but not told what it was.

When we complained and said that someone elses left overs is not acceptable, the staff made amends very quickly by providing us with 2 bottles of wine. We were also told that we would be served first the next night which we were.

Overall, I would say that the staff really do want to please and whatever went wrong that night was not dealt with brilliantly initially, but we had a great time overall.

My brother and his partner took their 3 children with them and the hotel catered for the children brilliantly.

I would stay at the hotel again if I was visiting iin the local area, but I would request a room in the main building.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the main building. We heard guests in our group say that they had to come to the m...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Surrey, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

This hotel was very clean, quiet and comfortable. Breakfast was very good. Beautifully soft white fluffy towels. A good experience and would use again if in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Bath
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

After about ten more stays, I thought I'd do a quick update. I can recommend the breakfast, the bar (Robinson's cider) and the room service is good value for a hotel; the portions are generous and the prices fair; excellent home made chips (fries). As ever, avoid the garden rooms if you can. A recent lick of paint in the main rooms has kept things fresh and the place continues to be the best mid-market hotel in Hereford by a long chalk. Nice staff, generally clean, loads of parking. Not perfect but recommended.

Room Tip: Avoid the Garden Rooms
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

Probably about a year in total for work. The rooms are a nice size and well furnished, I particularly like the beds, I find them very comfortable. The staff are always pleased to see you and provide a warm welcome. It has a bar which is a relaxing place to unwind.
breakfast cooked to order and very tasty with a nice selection of fresh fruit for those that want it!

Room Tip: All good!!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
devon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

My colleague and I stopped here for 3 week, kindly payed for by our work. The food is EXCELLENT! Portions are substantial enough to satisfy anyone’s appetite.

Rooms are comfortable and well equipped. All the staff we accounted were more than pleasant and helpful. The Bar is relaxing with serves many a decent pint which you can sit back in nice comfy seats and relax in.

All in all it’s a great hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Three Counties Hotel? Share your experiences!