“Not good value” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Hereford
Lancashire
“Not good value”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

A colleague and I arrived at around 8.30pm - the kitchen was closed and the bar offered only crisps and peanuts. There is no lift so we carried our cases up the stairs to our rooms - no porter in evidence and I don't know what you'd do if you have mobility difficulties; the decor is old and dated and there are no spy holes in the bedroom doors. My room was tiny - no room between the end of the bed and the table for a chair so I ate cold food sitting on the bed (there are printed notices warning of fines if you bring hot food into your room). Hair dryers are not provided but the hotel supplied me with a good hair dryer, so do ask at reception. The walls are thin and the floorboards creaky so noise from other rooms is audible. My room had no shower...this wasn't pointed out when we checked in and it is a problem for many reasons e.g. It takes more time to run a bath in the morning if you fancy getting washed before going to work. Coffee was real at breakfast, but no porridge. Towels good and clean, carpet in my room tacky. So, there are good points, not least the girl womanning reception who seemed to be run off her feet and tried very hard to look after us...but the negatives were difficult to get over and, for the price, I think it's a 'could do better'.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Needs a makeover, particularly the bedrooms. Decent location though and an okay breakfast. Not good value for money at nearly £70/night especially as there is no car parking at the hotel. Won't be returning there in a hurry.

Stafford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I stop at the Merton approx every month as it is excellently located for my work and I have always had great service there. Granted the rooms are dated and I have never seen so much woodchip wallpaper since the 70s but the rooms are clean the service is great, the showers are hot and everyone is friendly so for me I will continue to come back. Dunno about it as a holiday venue but if you need a base in central Hereford can't praise it more!

Rugby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Popped in here with my six year old to have a bowl of chips and a drink before we went to the cinema. They did not take cards unless over £5 so we placed our order then walked to the closest cash point to get cash out to pay. It was old fashioned inside and well worn in, and quiet at the time we popped in. I think the last behind the bar was dissapointed we didn't order more food. However the chips were lovely.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

The room was cleaned to a high standard equipped with everything I would need. Friendly and helpful staff eager to assist. Two minute's walk to the train station. english breakfast was superb! A very pleasant stay.

• Stayed April 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for a week due to work purposes and I must say I was very highly impressed with the hotel coming to me as a recommendation from a friend. The rooms were equipped with everything you could need,cleaned to a high standard...the food divine and very reasonably priced with a bar serving a good selection of local beers and ale, very friendly staff nothing was to much trouble and generally a lovely atmosphere, very well priced hotel and a little gem of a hotel. I will definitely be returning for a personal stay next time not just for work purposes.

• Stayed July 2013
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Arrived on a Friday afternoon and room was ready although we arrived a little earlier than we said,
Room was nice and just what we required for the weekend,we were on the top floor at the front of the building over looking the main street, the only thing i would say is it does get noisy when the pubs and clubs turn out,
The breakfasts were superb and we ate in the restaraunt on a couple of occasions and the food was very nice and good value, all staff were very friendly....

Room Tip: Room at back of building if you want some peace..