“Excellent all round!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Winchester, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent all round!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Although we live in Winchester, we hadn't been to The Porterhouse before. I must say that, having been underwhelmed by a number of other restaurants in Winchester, we were really impressed by this restaurant - and we were keen that it should be good as we were taking some friends out with us as a thank-you. The service was very polite and not at all pushy in any way; there was no sense of rush, we were able to take as long as we wanted. (Admittedly it was midday - on a Saturday - and not very busy but still...) And the food was, without exception excellent: the tiger prawns, the burgers, the chicken kebabs, the steaks, the chips, the sauce, the ice-creams (my wife was particularly delighted with these) and the coffee. Really very enjoyable. If I have one criticism, it would be that I found the decor a bit over-formal - but that's the style of the restaurant. We will go again!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

London, United Kingdom
“An excellent dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I have been to the Porterhouse restaurant in Winchester with my family on my sons birthday occasion for the first time. We made a reservation for the day. We have been asked for any special requirements while making the reservation. We had a very warm welcome on our arrival. the tables were decorated, the staff were very polite and the steaks were excellent. After the desserts a cake has been served to the table which was beyond expectation. we had a very good experience.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Winchester, United Kingdom
“On last visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Having been to this restaurant many times i would have always given it five, its our favourite place to eat in Winchester, however our visit on Saturday night was not so good.

The serving staff were as always informative and very polite, and the food was very good, although my sirloin was a litte chewy compared to normal.

On this visit, we basically felt very rushed although it was only 7.00 pm and was hardly full. Two course meal with a bottle of wine, was done and dusted in 50minutes, this is just way to quick and felt full and uncomfortable eating the main meal which came out about 5 mins after the first course plates had been removed. We like to take our time over a meal, and would normally sit and enjoy maybe a second bottle of wine, a dessert and coffee after, but this time we just paid on left.

70 odd quid for as meal lasting 50 minutes does not feel like good value.

Visited April 2013
London
“Life changing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

This place is amazing. I’ve never felt so tall.

Being a man of five feet and eight (and a half) inches, I am used to being made to feel short. Whether it be taller friends poking fun at my (average for the UK) height, or jeans that are always too long in the leg, my diminutive stature was never far from my thoughts.

Then I visited The Porterhouse.

It was amazing. Needing to wee at least four times a day (I like to keep myself well-hydrated), I’ve seen a lot of urinals in my time. However, the base of the urinals here were level with my knees. The stream had a long way to go before touchdown.

For once in my life, I knew what it was to tower over a bathroom fitting. It felt fantastic.

I went for the steak, and I’ll go again for the ego boost. Bravo, Porterhouse, bravo.

PS. The food is right good too.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Southampton, United Kingdom
“excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have visited porterhouse restaurant several times .The quality of steaks and the service has always been higher than my expectations. The temperature of the steak was always up to the mark and the side dishes were excellent. All in all it was a nice experience.

• Visited March 2013