“Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Giffard House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Winchester
Giffard House Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   50 Christchurch Rd | St Cross, Winchester SO23 9SU, England   |
Ranked #1 of 11 hotels in Winchester
England
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We were touring the South Downs and wanted a suitable stay at the end of our travels. What a fantastic recommendation from those wonderful people at South Downs Discovery!
Everything was perfect with much attention to detail, All the staff were helpful and even Joey the dog made us feel very welcome!
Thanks again to all the staff and to Paul for the original tip!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

227 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I'd really rather not write a review and keep this wonderful place a secret for myself but Giffard actually deserve all the acknowledgement and praise I can give them. I have stayed at the Giffard several times and EVERY time, it is first class. It is the attention to detail that serves them so well and attention to every detail - to personal attention of guests and their needs, the home they provide, maintenance, cleaning, presence, everything is perfect and at an incredibly high standard. Its a lot of work to keep this level of service and care and as an insignificant traveller I so appreciate it. Giffard is like home from home and I sort of even consider the animals as welcoming to me personally. If you want a real treat for a night, a weekend or a weeks retreat - than you have to stay here...it is magical...

Room Tip: Mmm, maybe not the attic room though even that had grea views...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Waco, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Stayed only one night on business trip and could not find fault .Maybe a creaky floorboard would be one but not important.Breakfast was excellent with buffet choice of cereal and fruit then table service for main course of cooked meal.Bathroom was absolutely gleaming.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
poole
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I wanted a quiet base for our weekend in winchester. This hotel marks high on everything. Spotlessly clean, lovely rooms with character, perfect position 10 minutes walk from town, breakfast A1. Congrats to the staff and management they've got it just right.

• Stayed August 2013
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We had to cancel our first booking at short notice due to illness but the Manager was very helpful in finding an alternative date so we didn't fall foul of their cancellation policy. When we did arrive we were not disappointed. This is a very pleasant , comfortable though small Hotel with lovely furnishings and a nice feel. I liked the spacious bathroom and honesty Bar. OK the trains can be heard but they are not really intrusive. My only gripe is that breakfast was not served until 7.30 and I had to leave for work by then. My wife stayed however and confirmed other comments that it was scrum

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights on business. This hotel is immaculately decorated and full of character. It's on a quiet street, but there is a train line behind it that is quite loud during the day. That said it didn't disturb me during the night. The breakfast set up is one of the best I have ever encountered, the fresh fruit is superb, the table is set up like a five star hotel. I am not a full English breakfast fan, but even I had to try some of the cooked food as it looked excellent and I was not disappointed. The staff were exceptional and the "guard" dog was super friendly. Ten minute walk into city centre with numerous good quality pubs and restaurants. Can't finish without mentioning the bedding, it was of such a high quality and was really luxurious, plus the towels were so fluffy they were to die for. Bed was also super comfortable. All in all one of the best hotels in England I have stayed in, and I stay in a lot for business that charge more and are less than half as good.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
English rural
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The location is great, on a quiet street near the centre; our bedroom was a splendid big room with a bathroom and a shower room (an unexpected bonus); breakfast was terrific. It was pretty full when we were there, but the service at breakfast didn't miss a beat - and we were happy for the hotel because it deserves to be full. It was good value for money. We shall definitely plan to return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Giffard House Hotel? Share your experiences!