“Mrs” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Mrs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Terrible customer service who have staff who ignore you! Not bothered about loosing customers. Would never return! I had booked a special dinner reservation for my husbands birthday. In the end we walked out as got fed up being at a quiet bar and the staff were not interested in serving us or even acknowledging we were there. When I complained I was told to speak to a manager. This would have been ok if I had all night to wait. We walked out. It spoilt what was supposed to be a special evening.

Stayed February 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Sunbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

I wish we had just come to The Wykeham arms for a drink. The food portions are so incredibly tiny I had to laugh out loud- if i had any battery left on my camera to take photographs of it then I would have had to use my zoom! Not only was the venison I ordered for my main course incredibly over priced, but the meal wasnt served very hot, it was stone cold by the time I reached the end of it (about 5 bites on)! My partner had thw fish and chips and had a resonable size dinner, I had to eat again later.

The staff were friendly and welcoming, didnt have to wait around for anything. Cute and cosy inside- perhaps trying a little too hard but fun all the same. The toilets in the ladies were by far my favourite thing from my visit.

Would not visit again to eat but atmosphere is warm . You need a world class chef to pull of the tiny portions for giant prices and unfortunatley, although nice - not amazing.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
bournemouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

We love this cosy pub, in the winter it is our favourite place to have a drink. The staff are a happy and helpful bunch. nothing is too much trouble making you feel very welcome.
It is the second time we have stayed but although it is one of our favorites the rooms have taken a big leap in price over the last few years. We do not think that the rooms match their price.
The meals are the biggest down side lunch and dinner are just over basic pub food at huge prices!
Not really sure what they are trying to achieve, but it isn't working well. This is the first time we have eaten dinner here....not sure I would eat here again. They need to reduce prices and return to consentrating on more basic fare. This said however, the breakfast issue good.
As I said we love the pub and staff but the food is way over priced.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Warsash
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Lovely room - each room has a name - we stayed in the 'Redman' - top of the pub.
Comfy bed + soft pillows.
Cosy, busy pub.
Food excellent.
Good selection of ales.
Handy car park at the back of the pub.
2 minute walk from the High Street.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I booked this hotel for 2 nights as I was coming down to accompany my daughter who was taking my granddaughter who was starting at university in Winchester. I booked the cheapest rate that I could, which included breakfast for "one or 2 people in a room". So, by booking 2 rooms, we only had 3 breakfasts. Which I maybe I wouldn't have minded so much had the food been good. It was very poor.

As we were tired on the night we arrived, we really did not to eat out. The restaurant menu was both uninspiring and expensive, so we ate in the bar, which was no better really.

This is not a 4 star hotel, but they are trading on the fact that there is nowhere else to eat in the area. This hotel is not near to anything. If a Premier Travel Inn were too open nearby, they would loose business, as this is not a 4 star hotel.
We only chose to stay here as the hotels in the city were full by the time our granddaughter got her exam results and knew where she would be studying, but we certainly would not choose to stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Lovely pub and very very good service although not sure the food was worth the price unfortunately. Good quality - but £14 for a burger and £26 for only a 6oz steak (plus extra for sides!) but not as good as you'd expect for something charging almost Michelin star prices. I would recommend for an experience but be wary of what you choose to eat!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

We booked for our 15th anniversary and searched the net for a small hotel with old style character. The pub/hotel/inn looked the ticket on the web and did not disappoint. It is an eclectic collection of all things to do with the military, cathedral and college along with great caricatures etc. We booked the Beaufort room on the 3rd floor, which was very well presented with a modern bathroom- including slipper bath. Warning- the floorboards creak like mad-just part of a 275 yr old building- probably not great for those 1 floor below!
We loved the small city area and the walks along the water meadows in spring and summer would be great if not flooded.
The sunday lunch was very tasty- recommend booking. The bar was well stocked - as it should be and the beer offered a good choice. Breakfast provided the full choice and didn't disappoint. Staff were very friendly and attentive.
We had a good time.
Only little niggle was the incessant swearing of one mourner at a wake in the bar on Monday afternoon-we moved in the end.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Wykeham Arms? Share your experiences!