“Lovely and Cosy on a Rainy Day” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Trip Advisor - 10% off
Ranked #5 of 11 hotels in Winchester
East Molesey, United Kingdom
“Lovely and Cosy on a Rainy Day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

We came across this pub purely by chance when visiting Winchester, as it started raining. The inside was warm and cosy with two log fires and so many pieces of memorabilia to look at with books to read. It was really busy but we found a seat and enjoyed their real ales. The food tables looked beautifully laid but we did not eat. It was a really interesting place and we will definitely go back next time we're in Winchester.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

302 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in one of the single rooms which was small, comfortable and quirky. The complimentary drinks tray was more comprehensive than usual, with fresh milk in a mini-fridge, and the toiletries were lovely. On the downside, the radiator was full of air and although someone did come to bleed it as soon as I asked, it still seemed cold afterwards and I was glad of the hot water bottle in the wardrobe! This room wouldn't be suitable for anyone with mobility problems as it was at the top of a steep, narrow staircase.

Breakfast was very tasty although relatively small portions. I didn't have the opportunity to try the restaurant in the evening but it looked and smelled great.

Unfortunately it's not possible to leave your car beyond check-out time which made for a bit of a stressful last morning and late arrival at my course after I was directed to the wrong public car park! Perhaps I should have realised this would be the case when I arrived given the very limited parking, but it would have been good to know before I booked.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Southampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

I went with my boyfriend on a really cold wet windy day over Christmas, we made reservations in the bar area as we had the dog with us. It is a really old school pub, but we liked that, especially when the weather is horrid, it's really cosy. I read a lot of the reviews on the food and I would say if you are going an expecting pub grub then you will be disappointed. They serve restaurant food, we have 3 course each everything we ordered was FAB! The wine is also very very good.

Southampton, Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Firstly this is my favourite pub ever. Beautiful setting, quirky inside, fabulous range of wines and beers . However please brace yourselves for a sour reaction if you want to have just a tea or coffee and 'Paul' is on duty. Twice now we have had the audacity to just want a hot drink and twice now body language from the (I believe) bar manager which could curdle the milk!

Come on... Don't let the service spoil this gem in Winchester.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Delicious food, well priced. Very cosy and traditional pub decor set in a pretty building in one of the best parts of Winchester. We didn't stay in a room, simply had a meal there. Traditional food with a modern twist. Great service. Friendly atmosphere. Would definately go again.

Room Tip: Didn't book a room. Meal only.
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed for one night. The staff was very welcoming. The room was very nicely appointed. We had a great dinner with local produce at the restaurant. Breakfast was included in the room rate and was excellent. The pub room is very nice, too, with open fires and lots of space. I would return at any time.
The hotel is well situated in relation to the historic city cent (about 5 minutes by foot).

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I stayed on a Sunday night so the car park had lots of available spaces. On walking in through from the car park, I found it to be extremely picturesque and quaint. There were plenty of very friendly staff on duty and they wasted no time showing me to my room which was in a building across the street, although literally just a few feet away. I stayed in a single room which was up quite a narrow twisting staircase up on the second floor. The room which had an en-suite shower room was immaculate with a RC TV, Large wardrobe, fridge containing still and sparkling water, coffee, tea, Horlicks, drinking chocolate and biscuits were also laid on complimentary. The bed was very comfortable and there was an iron, ironing board, hair dryer, desk and chair, a guide book of Winchester etc etc. There was a storm blowing on the night of my stay and the window next to the bed might have benefited from some draft excluders, but the room was warm and it caused me no problems really. I could have wanted nothing more in a room to be honest and my room was on the other side of the stairwell from the other room on the second floor, so I felt like I had a lot of privacy. I went down into the gastro-pub type restaurant for my evening meal. The menu was ok, perhaps just a tad pricey (depends what you are into and used to) I had an 8oz rib eye steak with chips, portabello mushroom, cherry tomatoes and bearnaise sauce (£23 I think). The steak was cooked perfectly for my liking and as requested. The dining room was like Indiana Jones' drawing room full of old books and war souvenirs. The dining furniture was very rustic and the crockery and cutlery were like from your Grandmother's welsh dresser but it was incredibly charming and I loved it all! The patrons surrounding me included two rather attractive looking posh spoken couples in their thirties on my left a swarve looking chap eating alone in front of me and a more mature couple seated to my right. The mood was relaxed and happy and I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the experience. In the morning, I came down for my complimentary breakfast which was a full English breakfast with toast and coffee or tea and there was also a table set up with danish pastries, fruit juice etc etc. In fact everything you would desire was available. All in all, very friendly and helpful staff, good food, good night's sleep, reasonable prices and a very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Been to The Wykeham Arms? Share your experiences!