“Arrive early, avoid the attic and ask for your food on a hot plate” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Wykeham Arms

Special Offer
Trip Advisor - 10% off
Ranked #5 of 11 hotels in Winchester
North Berwick
“Arrive early, avoid the attic and ask for your food on a hot plate”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is a well known pub in a lovely old building but, internally, it looks more like a bric-a-brac store because the walls and surfaces are entirely covered in a miscellany of pictures, books and memorabilia. We rather liked the effect.
We stayed in one of the attic bedrooms, approached up a narrow wooden staircase that caused me briefly to wonder about escape in the case of fire. The floor in 'Beaufort' creaked very loudly at every footfall and woke my wife when I got up during the night. The toilet seat was insecure and detached itself from its mounting, providing a degree of excitement to my daily defecation. The lamp below the TV did not work.
We spilt a cup of tea in the bathroom at 1700 and did not have the means to mop it up, we asked if someone would deal with it when we went out. No action was taken and we mopped up the large puddle with a toilet roll on our return, no one died but ...
Dinner was excellent. However, one does wonder why hot (and expensive food) is served on a plank of wood. My steak was cold long before it was finished and my wife's fish and chips, served on a similar plank, suffered the same fate. These planks were a gimmick in the 1980s and its time this establishment dropped the gimmick and served hot food on hot plates.
Breakfast was excellent and the lady who served was charming. In fact all of the staff were helpful and pleasant.
On balance and despite my earlier remarks we' d come again

Room Tip: Arrive early to get a space in the car park, avoid the attic bedrooms.

302 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Andover, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Had a business dinner here for 12 people, we were shown to a private dining room upstairs and while the room was well presented with lots of pictures etc it was a little spars end looking like a school room for me.

Tables and chairs were a bit wobbly and possibly were the result of an overbooking causing the need for the emergency tables and chairs to be broken out.

We had pre chosen our meals which saved a lot of time on the night standard 3 course meal

I had the soup which was Parsnip and Apple personally was not my liking but there lacked a suitable alternative for a non fish or non cheese eater!

I had ordered the steak and was surprised that no one had asked myself or my other colleague who was on steak how we wanted it cooking.

The plate served looked very nice until I cut into it, I am sure that I heard a slight moo!

I know people like it pink but this was not even close, like the joke says a good vet could have got it back walking with minimum effort!

I asked the waiter to have it taken back and actually introduced to the grill as it had barley met it previously.

While I waited the 10 minutes for its return I hoped for a well cooked piece of steak, sadly I was mistaken as on its return it was still far to pink, I don't understand how people can not clearly understand the phrase well done.

Given that most of the group were now finishing their meals I chose to put up and shut up and ate what I could of the bleeding steak in front of me.

I spoke with I've of our guests that night who had ordered the Bream she commented the fish was fine but the veg was cold.

Dessert I have to say was perfectly fine and the chocolate mousse was divine I was told as was my Baked Alaska.

Overall this was a very disappointing evening and the second time I have visited this restaurant and had a sub par meal, but what is more disappointing is that despite having the steak sent back there was no apology.

Am I being picky ....maybe but simply put I like my steak the way I like it not the way the chef likes it, and when someone sends a steak back as it's raw and asks you to cook it so it's not pink, it should tell you something is not right!

Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We were taken to the Wykeham Arms by some friends. Not knowing what to expect from a city centre pub, we were most pleasantly surprised. Not is it obviously a friendly 'local' it is also a fine eating house. The menu, whilst small, covered all tastes, was well presented, and service was quick, even on the Sunday evening we visited. A large selection of real ale added to the enjoyment of the evening. Loads of history as well and some interesting pictures & photos to take in as well. Thou roughly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Guernsey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My room was small enough to swing a Meerkat, but quite adequate. Food of a high level, excellent breakfast and evening meals. The menu showed imagination.The staff were uniformly helpful and welcoming. Recommended. The locality is delightful, and soaked in history.It seems almost an adjunct to Winchester College.

Room Tip: Annexe is OK, but suggest the main building.
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Once again, another visit and a complete triumph.

We stayed the night and booked in for dinner.

The food is top drawer. The Mrs had the Guinea Fowl - fantastic.I went for the Rib eye, cooked rare. It was perfection and all served by a really good natured waiter.

The room was expensive, but you pay for what you get. What we got was a really nice room, in the main building which I would recommend to anyone thinking of staying.

The bar manager, really nice guy who looked after us both and a good sense of humour. It's not pretentious, it's a nice place to relax and enjoy good food and chat some of the fellow guests in there.

See you guys again soon

Steve & Melanie

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Island of Malta, Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We stayed in Winchester on a brief business trip a few weeks back and the this little inn turned out to have one of the best rooms I have stayed in.

i stayed in what is possibly their smallest room, La Boix, litterally 'The Box' and I just feel in love with it. The room was lowated in a building across the street from the actual Wykeham Arms building, and whilst VERY small, there was everything, from a reasonably spacious bathroom to an ironing board in the closet. The other 'standard' amenities were also available such as Wi-Fi, LCD with quite a numeber of channels and so on. I was offered an upgrade mid-way into the trip and I just opted to stay in La Boix.

Breakfast was served in the pub of the main building and it was to die for. Even just looking at the croquery and the teapots made you feel at home.

The hotel is located a few metres away from Winchester Cathedral and the rest of town centre where you'll find all sorts of restaurants and pubs. I'll come back to Winchester soon, but this time on holiday, and I've got no doubt where to book a room whilst I'm there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We visited Winchester for the first time and were amazed to learn it was the original capital city of England. Everyone should visit this city at least once; it's dripping in antiquity and history. The Wykeham Arms is situated adjacent to the city wall and is the ideal place to visit the city by foot. We just left our car in their car park and forgot about it.the reception was extremely friendly and delivered with a smile. We did a deal on their suite which is situated just opposite the inn on the other side of a very small road. Slightly unusual route to the suite via another business bur we found a well appointed living area with facilities on the ground floor and small bedroom on a mezzanine. The deal we struck made it very good value for money; the location may make their standard tariff palatable. We didn't eat their as there is a plethora of excellent restaurants in Winchester but we did have a drink in the bar which was a great experience. Decor is interesting with lots of school desks and church memorabilia. We'd stay there again for sure.

Room Tip: Suite provides well appointed quietness and isolation.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Wykeham Arms? Share your experiences!