“Well they've certainly sorted it out.” 5 of 5 stars

Trip Advisor - 10% off
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Well they've certainly sorted it out.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Last time I visited the Wykham Arms, the ingredients in the food were of poor quality, (see my earlier review).

Not so now.

The Wyk Pie was the best I've had in many many years of dining there. So all round a brilliant return to, (and indeed surpassing of), the form of yesteryear.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The pub has a good ambience but the food was a disappointment not because of what was provided but the size of the portions and what was charged for the portions. What makes it worse is the food is served on enormous plates so the portions look even smaller. Some tables in the pub are also small so you are cramped on a small table with large plates and small portions. I would say the meal was all about presentation rather than portion. Yes give me gravy in a separate gravy boat but give me a decent portion. Also we asked for yorkshires with the pork and had to pay 75p extra per small Yorkshire. That has never happened to me in all the years I have eaten out for Sunday lunch. Thank God I did order the Yorkshire as I kid you not the pork loin was no more than three inches long. The crumble was equally small, beautifully served in a small saucepan but oh dear so small and I hardly noticed the ice that came with it on again such a huge plate. So if you are hungry and don't want to leave feeling you have paid more for the look rather than the food give this pub a wide berth.

Room Tip: I did not stay at the pub only had Sunday lunch there.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Great pub, great atmosphere, great food, great room, great location. It was a great stay really!
We stayed for a Friday night in October. We managed to park in the pubs small car park. Though we had to move our car Saturday at noon so they could get new guests in which was a bit of a pain as we had to drive around looking for a parking space. If you have ever been to Winchester you will know what a pain it is! Room was very nice indeed, the en-suite had a roll top bath and walk in shower. The staff were very friendly/helpful. Would definitely go back again. And we can recommend a Cathedral tour. It was news to us that Jane Austin is buried here!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

I absolutely love the Wykeham. I used to visit regularly when living in Winchester so it made sense to visit on returning for a night. Absolutely luxurious accommodation, the food is divine as ever and the staff are polite, attentive and accommodating. The bathroom was huge and smart, the bed was comfortable and a sachet of Horlicks was just the thing the next morning! A perfect place for a romantic evening.

• Stayed August 2012
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We ventured into this little pub a few weeks ago on a local recommendation and had what was without doubt the worst meal out I have experienced in a long time. Several of our meals went completely untouched as they were overcooked, dried out and in the case of one of the fish dishes, smelt rather off. The meals were beautifully presented in rather small portions, causing us to wonder if they were trying to go for the cordon bleu food market.

The pub itself was lovely, with a great atmosphere and nice wine list and I gather from friends who had recently stayed there, that the rooms were lovely. They too had an awful experience with the food. A nice local and inn but avoid the restaurant until they sort themselves out.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Jon H, Manager at The Wykeham Arms, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear K_James_Lee

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your dining experience here at the Wykeham Arms. It came as quite a surprise to me to learn of this, as so many of our recent reviews have been so positive, whether on Trip Advisor, or in person. It certainly is not our aim to only provide "Cordon Bleu" food, and the "Home Comforts" section of the menu, incorporating sandwiches and Pub favourites such as our cottage pie and fish and chips, is usually very well received.
Clearly there was an issue on your visit, but I would certainly ask for you to try us again, as I am sure this was very rare blip in our standards, which, as you can see on TA, are reported to be very good.
Please contact me directly should you wish to take my offer of a return, and I promise you the best of our attention if you do.

Warm regards

Jon Howard
wykehamarms.manager@fullers.co.uk
Bryan, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed for four days in September. Great location with four to five minute walk to Cathedral and six to seven minute walk to center of town. Pub hotel has hundreds of interesting, decorative memorabilia and various historical themes depicted throughout both pub and hotel. Rooms clean, modern and comfortable. No elevators but staff helps take luggage to upper floors. Excellent restaurant for breakfast and dinners available in on site restaurant. Very friendly and helpful staff. We had been traveling for three weeks and needed to do laundry but there was no laundry close by. Staff said we could use the hotel's washing machine. When I came next day to do laundry, staff member said she would do laundry and for us to "just go see the sights." There was no fee. The pub ambiance, friendly staff and great food make this hotel a great place to stay!

Room Tip: Choose a room away from front street.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Winchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I used to live in the centre cof Winchester and regularly went to the WA as it was the best pub in the city. I hadn't been for a few years since moving but went last month. It's still full of character, lively and busy. We had dinner here and we were blown away by the quality, taste and presentation. Way, way more than you expect in a pub or gastro pub and so much so I think they could be heading towards a star. Not cheap by any means but well worth it. Service was good too.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Wykeham Arms? Share your experiences!