“Perfect” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

I absolutely love the Wykeham. I used to visit regularly when living in Winchester so it made sense to visit on returning for a night. Absolutely luxurious accommodation, the food is divine as ever and the staff are polite, attentive and accommodating. The bathroom was huge and smart, the bed was comfortable and a sachet of Horlicks was just the thing the next morning! A perfect place for a romantic evening.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We ventured into this little pub a few weeks ago on a local recommendation and had what was without doubt the worst meal out I have experienced in a long time. Several of our meals went completely untouched as they were overcooked, dried out and in the case of one of the fish dishes, smelt rather off. The meals were beautifully presented in rather small portions, causing us to wonder if they were trying to go for the cordon bleu food market.

The pub itself was lovely, with a great atmosphere and nice wine list and I gather from friends who had recently stayed there, that the rooms were lovely. They too had an awful experience with the food. A nice local and inn but avoid the restaurant until they sort themselves out.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Jon H, Manager at The Wykeham Arms, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear K_James_Lee

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your dining experience here at the Wykeham Arms. It came as quite a surprise to me to learn of this, as so many of our recent reviews have been so positive, whether on Trip Advisor, or in person. It certainly is not our aim to only provide "Cordon Bleu" food, and the "Home Comforts" section of the menu, incorporating sandwiches and Pub favourites such as our cottage pie and fish and chips, is usually very well received.
Clearly there was an issue on your visit, but I would certainly ask for you to try us again, as I am sure this was very rare blip in our standards, which, as you can see on TA, are reported to be very good.
Please contact me directly should you wish to take my offer of a return, and I promise you the best of our attention if you do.

Warm regards

Jon Howard
wykehamarms.manager@fullers.co.uk
Bryan, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed for four days in September. Great location with four to five minute walk to Cathedral and six to seven minute walk to center of town. Pub hotel has hundreds of interesting, decorative memorabilia and various historical themes depicted throughout both pub and hotel. Rooms clean, modern and comfortable. No elevators but staff helps take luggage to upper floors. Excellent restaurant for breakfast and dinners available in on site restaurant. Very friendly and helpful staff. We had been traveling for three weeks and needed to do laundry but there was no laundry close by. Staff said we could use the hotel's washing machine. When I came next day to do laundry, staff member said she would do laundry and for us to "just go see the sights." There was no fee. The pub ambiance, friendly staff and great food make this hotel a great place to stay!

Room Tip: Choose a room away from front street.
Winchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I used to live in the centre cof Winchester and regularly went to the WA as it was the best pub in the city. I hadn't been for a few years since moving but went last month. It's still full of character, lively and busy. We had dinner here and we were blown away by the quality, taste and presentation. Way, way more than you expect in a pub or gastro pub and so much so I think they could be heading towards a star. Not cheap by any means but well worth it. Service was good too.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Breaking my journey to the Isle of Wight, I had the misfortue to be travelling during the Boat Show, so Southampton was sort of "Full"..

I hit upon the wykeham arms after a brief moment on the 'tinterweb whilst I sat cursing my lack of fore-thought in front of a cup of coffee in Shirley. 35 minutes later, I was guiding my car (which suddenly felt much too big) up the tiny cobbled streets next to the Pub/Hotel/Cathedral Coffe house and community centre that is the Wykeham arms.

This place is so full of History, I could easly imagine David Starkey and Eric Hobsbawm wanting to haunt it just for fun. Sort of place Dick Turpin would have "quaffed" ale in, I imagine. Today however, this is a really well run and friendly place at the centre of local life, where you can go for a great meal and immerse yourself in its olde-english charm.

The room I stayed in over in the annexe across the road was easily the smallest thing I have inhabited for years and yet - it had everything I needed. Ensuite, a small desk, comfy bed, ghost, tea and coffee. You do sort of get nervous though when you can flick the kettle on, flush the loo, lock the door and fluff your pillows without having to take a step in any direction..

Room Tip: My room in the Annexe was the last one available - right at the top and facing the back. It was acce...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
bath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Really hard to believe this is a brewery owned pub/restaurant [Fullers] as it has all the hallmarks of an owner run business rather than a managed business. Therefore the leadership,training and management are exceptional . On a recent stay the accomodation was characterful, interesting but lacking nothing with all amenities one could want and very comfortable bed. The staff are very helpful in coping with the parking difficulty at the property and in the surrounding streets..and manage to juggle around vehicles without fuss . The team is generally young but cheerful ,knowledgeable ,intelligent and helpful .....well above the standard of general British service staff. The food was excellent . Have returned since ...to eat ..three times the food and hospitality remained excellent on all occasions . Sorry if this sounds a bit gushy but the fact is that i have rarely experienced such an enjoyable hotel/pub/restaurant.....very similar in style and ambience to The Old Bank Hotel Oxford .

Portsmouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the wykham arms on 26th sept 2012, from the moment we arrived I fell in love! The wykeham arms is so quaint and I felt I had gone back in time to Dickens era, the pub itself is nestled in a beautiful historic street near to the cathedral with easy access to the high street, it has retained all it original features and is so beautiful.
We stayed in the 'Bake House' suite which is just across the road from the pub itself, what a gorgeous room! We had our own downstairs living area with a large and beautifully decorated bathroom, our bedroom was upstairs on the mezzanine level and was stunning! The suite and pub were spotlessly clean.
We ate in the wykeham arms that evening, the food is excellent and the atmosphere is perfect, I cannot recommend this place enough! We can't wait to return!

• Stayed September 2012

Been to The Wykeham Arms? Share your experiences!