“A fantastic place to stay, food slightly disappointing” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marwell Hotel

You added Marwell Hotel to your Saves list
Marwell Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Thompsons Lane | Colden Common, Winchester SO21 1JY, England   |
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Winchester
“A fantastic place to stay, food slightly disappointing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

We arrived on Friday 7th February. We went as a deal through groupon for £120, for a family room and a day in the zoo the following day. I think this was meant to cost £199. Our two girls are 5 and 6.

The weather was awful but we knew it was going to be! The zoo tickets are valid for a year so we decided to give it a miss and come back another time (We only live an hour away).

Easy to find and loads of parking when we arrived.
Nice big friendly reception area/bar with chairs and comfy sofas.
Checked in quickly and went down to our room. Some people have slated the rooms, but our room was lovely. I meant to take pictures but I forgot! Loads of storage space, a wardrobe, two bedside tables and a desk. The room itself was clean and decent. Bathroom was clean and in good order. Big double bed with spare blankets and bunk beds for the kids. Blackout curtains as well.
We went into the swimming pool in the evening (which stays open till 9). They provide free towels for the gym. Pool not massive but big enough for a dip. 1.3m at one end and 1.5 at the other. Jacuzzi and sauna. Also a gym which I think had a tv and a couple of treadmills.

We decided to have room service as we were in the pool until 7 and my wife didn't want to put her face back on. It was expensive but looked nice from the menu. We made our order and were told it should be 20 mins but a max of 30 mins. After 10 mins, we received a call and were told we had an old menu in the room, and that the mini donuts we ordered for the kids weren't available any more. They said they would be replaced with fudge brownies.

The food arrived after another 35 mins but that wasn't the end of the world. Unfortunately, my wife's burger wasn't cooked properly and was oozing blood so she couldn't eat it. The mac and cheese I ordered for one of the kid's meals was really bland and just tasted like a plain white sauce with no cheese. The fudge brownies were actually chocolate sundaes but the kids liked them. I returned the plates to the restaurant and asked that we weren't charged for the burger as it wasn't cooked properly and wasn't eaten. They said that would be fine.

It wasn't the best night's sleep we've ever had mainly due to the lack of soundproofing, and the constant banging and dripping noises coming from the hotel plumbing! But I'm being fussy there.

We asked for our breakfast to be delivered to our rooms (which incurred a £2.50 surcharge so not pricey). The breakfast was amazing and there was so much of it! I ordered 4 cooked breakfasts and 4 continental breakfasts. Only issue was no butter or jams to go with the croissants.

Checkout was quick and painless although the burger hadn't been removed from the bill, so I had to ask again.

Fantastic place to stay and I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Titchfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

We stayed here at the end of January/ beginning of February as part of a Groupon deal and would have been so disappointed had we paid full price.
We upgraded to a superior room which meant we got a clean room with not much else! The bed was awful and the shower pitiful. We went into Winchester the next morning and after being out all day returned to a freezing room as the patio doors had been left open all day. Luckily nothing had been taken from our room but when we reported it to reception staff there didn't seem surprised.
The best thing was the breakfast. For the price we paid it was adequate but we won't be returning.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Petersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I booked four rooms for my family to celebrate my sons second birthday. The reception staff couldn't have been more helpful and polite, even finding a swim nappy for my son as I forgot to pack one. The bar staff also provided warm milk for my son at bedtime. The family rooms were clean and spacious, and my mums double room was huge. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Liphook, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Stayed here at the end of January. Booked this through Groupon with Marwell Zoo tickets included. The tickets for the zoo were waiting for us upon arrival - zoo tickets valid for a year by the way, in case bad waether stops you visiting. Excellent value and the staff are very helpfull. Breakfast was very good indeed.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Reception and check in process pretty standard
Corridors to the rooms have a funny, musty smell and are cold.
The standard room I had booked was awful- although the bedding was clean the walls were bashed, the bathroom tiles were cracked, the bath and sink a strange blue colour with a shower attachment that fitted onto the bath taps!! The whole room was in dire need of an overhaul.
Contacted reception and asked to be upgraded to an executive room - this room was much better - although the double bed was two singles of different height! The room was modern and clean and room service was good. The bathroom was much more modern but the shower was pitifully weak.
I don't think I will be staying here again - the cold musty corridors and standard of the first room have definitely put me off a return visit.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on 31st jan for my sons 5th birthday treat and we loved every minute. Check in was easy and our room was amazing, really clean, very modern and the kids loved the bunk beds not to mention the pantry (little cupboard outside our room with biscuits, fresh fruit and milk). We used the pool twice and both times had it to ourselves, the pool itself is very clean however the changing rooms a little smelly and very cold. In the evening we ate in the bar area the meal was really lovely... I travelled on my own with my 3 children and did not feel uncomfortable at all. On the Saturday we visited marwell zoo again another great day. This is now going to become a yearly treat for us.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

I took my boyfriend as a Christmas present in January and we really enjoyed it. The staff were so friendly and made us feel very welcome. The food in the restaurant was amazing, we were so pleased with the menu and the waitress in the restaurant was so friendly. We had tickets to the zoo included and they were waiting for us at reception. Very organised My overall stay was excellent and I would definitely recommend staying there for a break. Sarah & Danny

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Marwell Hotel? Share your experiences!