“Horrendous standard room - executive room much better” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Marwell Hotel

You added Marwell Hotel to your Saves list
Marwell Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Thompsons Lane | Colden Common, Winchester SO21 1JY, England   |
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
“Horrendous standard room - executive room much better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Reception and check in process pretty standard
Corridors to the rooms have a funny, musty smell and are cold.
The standard room I had booked was awful- although the bedding was clean the walls were bashed, the bathroom tiles were cracked, the bath and sink a strange blue colour with a shower attachment that fitted onto the bath taps!! The whole room was in dire need of an overhaul.
Contacted reception and asked to be upgraded to an executive room - this room was much better - although the double bed was two singles of different height! The room was modern and clean and room service was good. The bathroom was much more modern but the shower was pitifully weak.
I don't think I will be staying here again - the cold musty corridors and standard of the first room have definitely put me off a return visit.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on 31st jan for my sons 5th birthday treat and we loved every minute. Check in was easy and our room was amazing, really clean, very modern and the kids loved the bunk beds not to mention the pantry (little cupboard outside our room with biscuits, fresh fruit and milk). We used the pool twice and both times had it to ourselves, the pool itself is very clean however the changing rooms a little smelly and very cold. In the evening we ate in the bar area the meal was really lovely... I travelled on my own with my 3 children and did not feel uncomfortable at all. On the Saturday we visited marwell zoo again another great day. This is now going to become a yearly treat for us.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

I took my boyfriend as a Christmas present in January and we really enjoyed it. The staff were so friendly and made us feel very welcome. The food in the restaurant was amazing, we were so pleased with the menu and the waitress in the restaurant was so friendly. We had tickets to the zoo included and they were waiting for us at reception. Very organised My overall stay was excellent and I would definitely recommend staying there for a break. Sarah & Danny

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Nice clean hotel although walkways were very cold, breakfast, staff, etc very nice. I think a lot of people had bigged this place up to me & I was expecting more. It's certainly a lot better than many places I've stayed in. Menu looked overpriced and restricted but never ate there so can't comment on the food other than the breakfast which was lovely.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

We visited the Marwell Hotel earlier this month as we were given a Groupon voucher for Afternoon Tea for Two there as a Christmas present, but we were very disappointed. The decor where we were situated was very shabby with paint peeling off the staircase bannister and a chunk of wood missing from the corner of our table. The food was of an average standard and the selection of cakes very poor. All in all we felt it was not worth the money that had been paid for the Groupon deal and we would not go back there.

Southampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

First of all any travellers coming here in January and February be aware if roadworks going on, what would have been a 20 minute journey turned into an hour and half journey but that wasn't a fault with the hotel just a warning :)
Me and my partner got a deal on Groupon for £80 for a nights stay with zoo tickets and we were pleased with what we got for our money!
The hotel reception is lovely inside and check in was quick with polite reception staff. The hotel is set around connecting glass corridors which can be very cold if you don't have a coat.
The room was spacious with a tv, hairdryer, shower gels and a nice selection of hot drinks. It was really warm too as we were worried we'd need extra layers staying in the winter.
We had dinner at the lounge bar (the area in reception) and it was amazing, the pie especially was delicious. We noticed the lounge bar upstairs area was a lot nicer than the actual restaurant which reminded us of a cheap all inclusive resort restaurant.
We ordered our breakfast to be delivered to the room by filling out the cards left on the doors which are collected during the night, and we weren't disappointed, a massive tray was delivered on time with lovely fresh juices and fruits, more than we could both manage!
Overall for the price we paid we couldn't have been happier, would definitely return!

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

A prior Christmas call to the Marwell hotel to reserve a room and tickets to the hotel's dinner and dance on New Year's eve resulted in upset and disappointment. At my friends' suggestion (a party of 14 people) I called the hotel (December 2013) to reserve both tickets and room for this event (31st January), I was offered a choice of standard room or deluxe, to which I reserved the deluxe room and was then told I would have to reserve the tickets with the events coordinator to whom I was put through, the transaction was successful without problem. I then received confirmation of my booking and paid in advance for the dinner/dance tickets. A telephone call from one of party on 30th Jan worried me, as the hotel confirmed to him that only 7 rooms had been booked 7 couples) but 16 tickets had been bought for the dinner/dance. I then started to worry that my reservation was not secure, so called the hotel only to be told that I had booked the room for 30th December but the dinner/dance tickets for 31st (new year's eve). After a long argument and a call from the manager I was told that the hotel was fully booked for 31st and absolutely no rooms available for myself and my husband. Although the manager apologised profusely and my money for the tickets refunded I did not receive a letter of apology or compensation for missing out on a well-planned evening and following day with our friends.

Room Tip: I was told the rooms were quite nice but if you decide to make a booking, make sure you call to chec...