“Another stay but....” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Devon
“Another stay but....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

I booked online via the Mercure website and asked for our usual room overlooking the cathedral. They clearly didn't get the message as they tried and check us into to a "classic" room. £10 less , much smaller, pretty dingy, and overlooking a brick wall and the bins. They moved us swiftly on request but those rooms are pretty grim ! Always request the executive room they are only £10 more , seem at least half the size again and are light and airy with great views. Above average breakfast.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
WMcWilliamWinchester, General Manager at Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear DavidCDevon,Thanks for your review. Glad you got the room you wanted in the end. I am not sure if you booked an executuive room but apologise if we made a mistake and allocated you a classic room in error. Hope to see you again later in the year . Kind regards, William McWilliam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Me and my partner stayed in the first week of January as we were visiting our family in Winchester area. Hotel easy to find, just a few steps away from the Cathedral. From outside looked dated but inside cosy.

On arrival we where meet by very polite and helpfull member of staff / manager ( ? ) I used to work in hospitality but his customer service was mile away from typical. Excellent, considerate and very professional. Received a basic information about town, atractions and place to visit - also help with the lugagges. As I remember his name was Kamil ( do apologize for wrong spelling) . We received a beatiful, spacious room overlooking the Cathedral - on the second / mezzanine floor. The only complain about bedroom was a stain on the carpet between sofa bed and curtain.

After long journey we tried to order a quick snacks and something to drink before going out and just enjoy the view of the Cathedral. Unfortunately we tried several times called for room service - without any luck.

Decided to call to reception. As I recognized Kamil answered the phone and immediately took our order. Food was quite fast ( approx 20). Portion were fare and quality very good.

When we come back late, bar was still open for the residents. Price a little bit high and not enough selection of spirits.

In the morning fully enjoyed english breakfast and magnificent view of Cathedral. Food was hot, well presented and very tasty. We were served by Luca ( manager as well ? ) . Also great service !

We would definately recommended the hotel for our family living in WInchester area and looking forward to see you again.

Room Tip: Ask for the room overlooking the Cathedral - costs nothing but you will enjoy the view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
WMcWilliamWinchester, General Manager at Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Hopster L, Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your stay at Mercure Winchester. I am delighted that you would recommend us to your family and are looking forward to staying with us again.
I have passed on your comments to both Luca and Kamil along with my personal thanks for the excellent service they provided to you. They were naturally very proud to have been recognised in person. We all look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Winchester. Kind regards, William McWilliam
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

We stayed over after a wedding at the hotel. The rooms were clean and well maintained but not huge. We paid a bit extra to overlook the cathedral which was worthwhile, it is a lovely view. Worth noting that the double glazing is excellent so you won't get disturbed by bells on a Sunday morning! I think the key to the hotel is its location which we didn't take advantage of and therefore found the hotel a little expensive. The staff were all lovely, Daniel at the bar was particularly helpful. The problem with this hotel is the car parking which is extremely limited and costs extra. We have a young baby and associated paraphernalia so I enquired about booking a space but it was first come first served. There was a space available when we got there but we weren't allowed to use it as it had been allocated to another guest! Very disappointing. On the plus side the public car parks are free after 6 and on Sundays but we had to park 15 mins away. The car park opposite the hotel has a 4 hour limit.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Hels1978, Thanks very much for posting a review. Pleased to hear you found the room clean, well maintained and fabulous views of The Cathedral. The team appreciate your positive feedback about them and Daniel in particular was chuffed to have been mentioned by name. Like you I was disappointed to hear that you were denied an available parking space as we should never hold spaces for any guests. I have reminded the team that for consistency this must always be the case and that only Brides and Registrars attending weddings at the hotel are permitted to have a space reserved. Kind regards, William McWilliam
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Stayed here for a family wedding which was taking place in the hotel. On looking at the website I would not have stayed here originally out of choice. However, the experience was very positive and exceeded my expectations. The hotel yes is very 1960s but inside they have done a pertty good job and some quality decorating. It is a little functional but has some warmth and character in the bar and the main restaurant area. The bedrooms are well furnished and finished and the beds super comfy - especially the Privelege rooms. Food was a little disappointing - tasty enough but the eggs benedict ordered especially at breakfast was a little hastily put together with too much salty bacon and a great blob of hollandaise - needs a little bit more French style and flair I think in the kitchen. There is a good drinks selection in the bar. Great location too - fabulous views from the rooms on 2nd floor of the cathedral. And it's the staff who really make the place. Eager to help - smiling and happy from the cleaners to the waiters, bar staff and reception - really pleasant. And pre-paying the booking online made it feel excellent value. Would happily come back again.

Room Tip: Pay a litte more and choose a Privelege room
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Shugsylondon, Thank you very much for your very positive review. I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations. You very kind comments about the team which has been shared with them all are much appreciated. I do agree that they really make the place. You say you would happily come back Mercure Winchester again- we really hope you do. Kind regards, William McWilliam
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

One night stay during Christmas Market. Privilege Room overlooking the cathedral. Reception staff were very professional and welcoming. We arrived early in the day and were able to park our car and check-in and come back a little later to gain access to the room. The room was very comfortable. A good size with a superking bed, comfortable seating and a lovely view onto the cathedral. The room was clean and quiet and well serviced. For some reason the restaurant was closed, but we were directed to a very good French restaurant nearby. We had a drink in the bar which was unremarkable. Breakfast was also good enough, but quite ordinary. All in all a very pleasant stay and I would return to this hotel. The hotel itself is, unfortunately, a very ugly building which is quite out of place in its setting. However, you can't see this when you're inside!

Room Tip: Perhaps a privilege room is larger with a better view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear AlistairP, Delighted to hear that you had a very pleasant stay with us at Mercure Winchester Wessex and would return in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back when you do. Kind regards, William McWilliam
Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Apart from 1) Good Location and 2) 'some' very helpful staff, my family and I booked this hotel for the Xmas break in Winchester.

Unfortunately we were never told that the hotel restaurant was closed due to Xmas package (which we did not opt in for). Checked earlier in day to see what restaurants and bars were available in the hotel and was told the restaurant is closed as it's for the Xmas package only. I was shown the bar/ room service menu which was available till 9.30pm (as i was told). I arrived back to the hotel for 7.30 and found the rest of my family eating soup and sandwiches. I was looking forward to some good food options that I had seen earlier in the day. When I ordered my steak I was told that I could only have soup and sandwiches due to the kitchen being too busy with the restaurant and that this was the only option until 9.30 tonight and Christmas Day and Boxing Day. So, imagine my frustration that I booked myself in to a 4 star hotel only to find that all residents who did not have the Xmas package were basically left high and dry with very poor food options especially during the Christmas period when it is difficult to find good or indeed any options during this period outside the hotel. I also asked what the vegan option (my partner) was if any as the falafel had butter in. My partner was told by the waiter that the chef could not tell her what was available for at least another 30 mins as he was too busy.

In any case the food came and we ate but the thought of staying in a 4 star hotel over the Christmas period eating soup and sandwiches because I have to!!! At Xmas!! I spoke to the general manager (he should really clean his shoes) who apologised for the inconvenience. I explained I was disappointed and that I had spent years working in 4 and 5 star hotels in London and know what standards are about and what customers expect especially at certain times of the year. He said "I was the first customer in 6 years to complain about it".

I told him that I was not going to leave it there, he replied ok I will speak to you tomorrow. Something which he never did.

Not the best customer service skills i think, and that's the GM!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
WMcWilliamWinchester, General Manager at Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Julian A, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry that we did not offer you alternative dining arrangement on the first night of your stay and in hindsight we should have done so. This is something we will review for the future. I am sorry that I didn’t get to see you personally the next morning as I had hoped. I had briefed Luca my Food and Beverage Manager on our conversation the night before as a contingency, which is why he approached you to let you know that you were welcome to dine with us at any of the meals we were serving during the remainder of your stay. Once again please accept my apologies and appreciation for taking the time in bringing your concerns to our attention. Kind regards, William McWilliam

Been to Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel? Share your experiences!