“Just ok” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Bognor Regis
“Just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Parking was a first come first served basis at £10.00 a night, very limited, otherwise very difficult to park. The staff were helpful and friendly. We had a hick-up at check-in but it was sorted out quickly. The room was clean and the bed very comfortable. We ordered breakfast in bed, for 8.45 it didn't arrive so had to ring reception. Eventually it arrived 35 minutes later but with no butter for our toast, preserves or milk and the coffee was cold. It was such a shame but we did have an apology from the duty Manager when we left. Winchester is a lovely city with plenty of shops, bars and places to eat.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Stoke Rochford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

A perfect stay great hotel staff were really lovely,the dinner was really nice as was breakfast.
The rooms were lovely and clean real pleasure to stay here !Parking was good we got a parking space although it was first come first served,Winchester it self is a lovely city and this was the perfect hotel to explore its history

Room Tip: We were in a room overlooking the gardens very nice view and quiet.
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I stayed at this hotel whilst meeting up with my family. Initially I had used another website to book a room, but upon my arrival I was astounded at the poor quality of what was proported to be a 4* hotel, and so in desperation went to the local tourist information office to try to find an alternative during the late afternoon. The Tourist Information office recommended this hotel to me, and booked my accommodation. When I checked in they advised me that they would be including an undisclosed and unspecified supplement on my account to cover any drinks I may take on account on my room. I have never heard of this before, and as a none drinker found it astounding!! The room price was extortionate, but being late in the evening, I had no alternative than to accept the price I was required to pay . The breakfast was of an equivalence with any cheaper brand hotel I could have used if I had had the opportunity to do so.

But my real problem with this hotel is regarding the check out service. When checking out I was the only person at reception, and the person behind the desk was processing my account. A workman walked in, diverted the receptionists attention, and began to dispute with the receptionist the behaviour of his work colleges the previous night. He was obviously a manager of a team who were working at the hotel, and they were staying on site. Clearly his work forces behaviour had caused some other residents to complain. He insisted in talking to the receptionist about that, and she decided to confront and dispute his accusations. As such, as a paying guest in one of the best hotels in Winchester, I was left to stand at the reception desk and be an observer in a dispute between the hotel and its contractor. All I wished to do was pay my fee and leave, but the receptionist took the choice to ignore myself and argue with the tradesman, leaving me in the middle of a transaction. Instead of asking the tradesman to wait courteously whilst she concluded my check out, she chose to continue the argument with himself, leaving me to be a witness to an argument I had no wish or desire to be part of. I paid the bill, and left the hotel feeling my custom was worth less to the hotel then a petty argument with a contractor. Its a good hotel, but dont expect to be treated with any courtesy

• Stayed January 2015, traveled solo
pembrokeshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Fantastic location for those wishing to explore Winchester. Premises are a delightful mix ot the old and the new, run by efficient and friendly staff.
Great breakfast and superb dinner would recommend wine and dine promotion if still available. Car parking limited so check in as early as you can to secure a space. Special mention for the most luxurious bath and hand towels.
If we return to Winchester will look no further than the Royal for our accommodation .

Room Tip: Ask for garden view room
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Peterborough, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed here with my wife sunday/monday this week. Can't fault it. Lovely room. Fantastic location for town centre . Great breakfast . What more can I say? Apart from the fact Winchester also is a lovely place to visit.

Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Lovely hotel - ideal location for shops and bars - were given a complimentary upgrade on arrival to a garden room which was lovely - big comfy bed - clean functional bathroom, great sized tv.
Only criticism is that parking is not included even for residents.
Definitely will stay there again

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here in January on business with a group and was a bit like fawlty towers. Wifi not working in various rooms, had to search for someone to serve at bar and take food orders, colleague asked for bar food at 9.15 and response was "think kitchen maybe closed now" - it wasn't but he only wanted a cheese sandwich, how hard can it be! Maybe just had an unlucky night but was average at best. Room was fine, although a bit dated, but not bad.

Stayed January 2015, traveled on business

Been to Winchester Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!