“Very comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   St Peter Street, Winchester SO23 8BS, England   |
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
“Very comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Didn't have the time to arrange a German Christmas market this year, so decided to give this beautiful city a visit. We had an exec room overlooking the garden, very comfortable and spacious. Not too expensive considering the time of year and location, although what irks with me are the extras - £10 each for breakfast, and £10 overnight parking. That's another £30 on top of what was becoming quite an expensive weekend. And the city's Christmas market left a little to be desired, £3 for a non-alcoholic mulled "wine" in a paper cup!

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Arrived on Sat 27/12/14, had a lovely warm, professional welcome, we went to our room & was pleasantly surprised of the high standard of the room for the reasonable price that we paid, the bed was enormous & comfortable, the room was warm & spacious
We had a lovely time in Winchester town centre, which was 5min walk from the hotel
The breakfast was fantastic, full English, cereals, fruit etc
We had a small issue with the hotel room, but as soon as we told the staff, it was very quickly resolved, we would happily stay there again

Room Tip: Try to get garden view
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Tastefully furnished rooms. The beds are very comfortable indeed. Spacious bathrooms with effective facilities and a nice range of toiletries. The staff are polite helful and unobtrusive.
Being centrally placed makes it a good base for exploring the historic buildings or visiting the shops.
A stay here is a relaxing experience. We have stayed on 3 occasions. It is our first choice of hotel in Winchester.

Room Tip: All the rooms have been good. We like the ones that overlook the garden
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Winchester is not a cheap place to stay but this was at the time the cheapest I could find. The decor is warm and neutral complete with wool dogtooth blankets and leaf curtains. It was also nice to have a bath and shower. The beds are super comfortable and massive however when I was booking I only got to choose a preference of if I got double or twin and it wasn't guaranteed . It is central and great for exploring .

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Winchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I recently had a very enjoyable work's Christmas lunch here. The menu was great (obviously traditional Christmas Fare but done well) with reasonably generous portions. There were 40 of us in an upstairs back room that had lots of atmosphere - exposed beams and tastefully decorated. (Much more interesting than the room we had last year!). The staff did an excellent job. There was a small bar too but they weren't serving bitter so we had to go to the downstairs bar for that. I look forward to returning again next year!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
winchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

A group of 14 ladies sat down for our annual Christmas lunch, excellent service, large nicely decorated table and good food. What more could you ask for for £12.95 a head, a far more pleasant experience that pubs in recent years. We will go back next year.

Room Tip: We did not stay in the hotel, but food excellent.
Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Oh dear!
I last reviewed Afternoon Tea at The Royal Hotel on 13 September 2014. My recent experiences there had not been as good as I would have expected but, as I said in my review, I was prepared to return because there had been nothing sufficiently negative to put me off altogether. The follow up to that review was Louis Rigney, the GM of the Royal Hotel, leaving a message and asking me to email him prior to any future visit.

Needing a little December treat before hitting the Christmas Market, I arranged to meet a friend for Afternoon Tea at the Royal Hotel and booked in advance with the hotel for 2-30pm, Friday 12th December. I then also emailed the GM as per his request advising him of our proposed visit.

We arrived for tea and, after having been asked whether we wanted tea or coffee, were shown into the lounge area to choose our table. (Personally, I always find it odd that our drink preference is taken at the bar before we are even seated!) Once seated, our crockery and cutlery arrived promptly, as did the tea, shortly followed by the sandwiches. Unfortunately, the milk took a lot longer to arrive – more than 10 minutes! I had just got up to look for someone to ask for it when the waiter brought it. No apology for the delay however. Although neither of us take sugar so it was not an issue, I realised later that there was no sugar at the table and none offered.

The sandwich and cake selection was the same as normal – with the exception that the (thick) bread was very dry, crusts badly cut off, and the fillings were so mean they were barely noticeable. The scones, jam and cream were fine but the cake slices were on the mean side and one slice of lemon cake was so thin it reminded me of lace curtains! This would have been bad enough if we had been the last customers taking tea but as we were there so early it is really not acceptable.

Once we had finished with our tea we sat and chatted for a while. It took ages before anyone made any attempt to clear the table and then when they did they only took away the cake/sandwich stand and other odd bits, leaving the rest of the used items there in front of us. The bar and lounge were in no way busy so that cannot be the excuse for this.

In hindsight, perhaps I should have complained at the time, but I did not want to create any embarrassment for my guest. I have not emailed the GM about this because, having asked me to let him know when I was next visiting, he has not had the decency to acknowledge my email. Certainly standards have not improved. If anything they have got worse which is very sad.

Would I go there again? I won't say that I won't go there again however, for Afternoon Tea I will be searching out other locations first.

Would I recommend it to others? I would suggest they look at alternatives first.

Room Tip: I have not stayed here overnight.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear BoringFS,

I am sorry to hear that we have yet again failed to meet your expectations on this visit, I have checked back on my emails and unfortunately this had gone into junk email, having invited you back I would not deliberately ignore such an email intentionally. As a basic courtesy if have invited someone back I would of course make an effort to meet them on their return and I do find it unusual that the issues you describe did not warrant you speaking to a duty manager or a member of staff even if done discreetly on the day?

Please accept my apologies that the communications on this matter seem to have gone awry, if you would like to call me on 01962 840840 I will be pleased to discuss this in more detail with you.

Best regards

Louis Rigney

Been to Winchester Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!