“Comfortable night's sleep and friendly staff, highly recommended!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Winchester Royal Hotel

Save Saved
You added Winchester Royal Hotel to your Saves list
Winchester Royal Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   St Peter Street, Winchester SO23 8BS, England   |
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Comfortable night's sleep and friendly staff, highly recommended!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I have booked this hotel for my colleague's who are working in and around Winchester and they can not recommend it enough.

The staff could not have been more accommodating with our requests - even through the booking process! - and made sure we had everything we asked for. We honestly felt like they went out of their way for us which is always appreciated. The rooms were lovely and made for a very comfortable night's sleep.

Lovely breakfast in the morning as well, which makes all the difference when the crew are away from home regularly. Great location as well. We will definitely stay again - highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My new husband and I were bought a 2 nights stay at this hotel and we loved it! It was such a central hotel that we could wall everywhere and the staff were extremely polite and helpful!
The breakfast on both mornings was a lovely spread and combined both a fry up and pastries, cereal, fruits etc.
The room was newly refurbished and the bed was extremely comfortable, being 32 weeks pregnant, that is a massive compliment! The only downside I'd say was the price of parking, £10 a day but yeah is the usual in most city hotels.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We stayed at this hotel in October 2014 as a group of 63. Being a group we were on a set menu.
First night we was served a portion of burnt lasagne in the middle of a dinner plate, no veg or salad included. After complaints to the manager we were offered a glass of wine FREE. As they poured the wine the next evening again we were served the most revolting looking chicken I have ever seen. The free wine did not appease me as I do not drink. Added insult to injury.
We tried not to let this spoil our weekend, but the damage had already been done.
Maybe if you go as a couple the food in the main dining room was of a better standard. I do hope so for your sake if you are visiting this hotel any time soon.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We spent a weekend at the Winchester Royal Hotel, this is the second time we have stayed here, why? Because it is superbly placed in the centre of Winchester, the rooms a very well appointed, comfortable and clean. The hotel has a car park which is always a bonus and the food is good although that said, like most hotels, the vegetarian options lack imagination - I have said this before of other hotels and my challenge to any self respecting chef is to prove me wrong!
The staff were very friendly and helpful and we look forward to staying there again in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the garden because they have the best views!
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Brian,

Thank you for your review, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and our location in particular, I note your comments in respect of the vegetarian options and we are actually in the process of changing our menus this week for winter. Our Chef will gladly accept your vegetarian challenge perhaps on your next visit to the Hotel?

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW via mobile

Winchester Royal hotel is potentially a haven in the centre of town.We have often relaxed in the lounge there when we had time to kill.However something has clearly gone wrong of late.We were the only people in the lounge which was cold and uninviting.A strong smell of smoke drifted in from the garden outside the bar.We asked the friendly British waiter if there were any toasted tea cakes.He had not heard of toasted tea cakes and was none the wiser when we explained what these were.The hotel appears to be understaffed and as we left the receptionist was nipping out to smoke in a passage way opposite the hotel. The atmosphere did not feel professional for a hotel of this quality.

Stayed October 2014
Dear AvPalov

Thank you for your review, I am sorry to hear that the lounge was empty when you came into the Hotel, we are usually very busy but we do occasionally have quiet periods as do most businesses. We do not serve toasted teacakes as they invariably lose heat very quickly but we do have a wide range of afternoon teas available. I am sorry to hear that guests were smoking outside and that this may have drifted into the lounge and that a member of staff was going for a cigarette break off the premises.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here the night before my graduation with my boyfriend. Had booked it a few months previous so got a good price.
Finding the hotel was easy, nearly drove past the car park but was easy to park in at half 3. Think the car park could do with some signs as to where the reception is as it is definitely not clear that is in outside the car park and on the street.
Woman on the reception was quite friendly, but didn't seem to know the right questions to ask, such as our registration numbers for the car park etc. Also, after looking back on my confirmation email we also had breakfast included, but the woman did not say anything about breakfast or where it was etc, so unfortunately we missed out on having it the next morning which was thoroughly disappointing.
Despite this, the room was really lovely, had a nice view over the gardens and a huge bathroom which was a luxury to have. There was also free wifi which was great, and a huge tv. We were able to leave the car park in the evening as we wanted to venture out of Winchester for dinner. The hotel itself is however in the middle of the town so there are plenty of restaurants and bars to visit if you didn't know the area, it is within walking distance of almost everything.
The next day I had just enough time in the morning to get my robes and meet my parents before check out, and I was also allowed to park in the car park for an extra day for free, although my parents had to pay for their car.
We did go to the bar the next day, but unfortunately there was no Prosecco, and it would have been nice if perhaps some small breakfast items would have been on offer to purchase.
Overall however it was a pleasant stay, just a disappointment that the offer of breakfast was adhered to.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the gardens, and a nice size bathroom!
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear CamillaBetty,

Thank you for your review and congratulations on your graduation, the car parks are within the ground and footprint of the Hotel and once you enter the Hotel from the car park signs indicate the way to reception. I note your feedback and I will review this with the receptionist on duty, she should have advised the breakfast times to you particularly as breakfast was booked by you and on your confirmation email, the car registration details are requested on the reservation form you signed.

I regret to note we had no Prosseco and we should have been able to get some quite quickly I will speak with the bar manager about this and please accept my apologies.

Louis
Wokingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Attended a seminar here and found the staff very hard working to ensure the stay went well. The room was okay but there was a strong smell of cigarette smoke, mainly in the bathroom. Reception, when informed stated that it was a no smoking hotel, yeah, that's the point of the complaint. Wifi in the old part keeps dropping out and was a waste of time. This should be sorted out if it is advertised within the hotel. I've been to hotels where the wifi can be accessed on the beach but not here in a room. Food could not be faulted at both dinner and breakfast services.
The hotel is ideally situated in Winchester town centre and has two car parks with other town car parks nearby. The good points out weighed the bad points of this hotel.
Would I use this hotel again? Yes I would.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Dear Sprinkle2,

Thank you for your feedback and for your kind comments regarding the staff, I am aware of the issues you have mentioned and although our rooms are all non-smoking a guest who stayed previously to your stay did smoke in this room and a £75.00 additional charges was applied to him and I regret that the room was not properly aired. We are currently rectifying an issue with the wi-fi in one part of the Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Louis Rigney

Been to Winchester Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!