“great place to stay!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Winchester
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
“great place to stay!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed for two nights,and had a great experience, friendly, welcoming staff,well appointed room,comfortable bed (enormous in fact) spotless bathroom, and good food.
The hotel could not be in a better position, you are right in the centre of Winchester in a very beautiful old building with loads of character, which extended to the well tended garden for a little outside relaxation before dinner. The city centre and all it's many attractions are right on your doorstep, sightseeing, shopping and eating places are literally just a few steps away.
We ate in the hotel on both nights, and would heartily recommend it .........the food was exceptionally well cooked and presented,and delicious, served by efficient well mannered staff.
All in all we would recommend a stay here, must be one of the best in the area!

Room Tip: We were in a garden room
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Southampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I purchased a groupon voucher for afternoon tea for myself and my friend. We arrived and was seated very quickly, the only positive thing out of the whole experience.The tea arrived followed by the sandwiches , which were stale ,to the point that some where not edible. The cakes weren't much better and I can almost assure you that they were not homemade. We waited for a member of staff to enquire if everything was satisfactory which at that point we would have made them aware of the stale sandwiches, however we sat there for 2 hours Inwhich time we had to ask for more tea as it was never offered. At 7pm when the table was cleared by a member of staff we mentioned the sandwiches were stale, he offered to replace them but unfortunately it was 2hours to late. We will not be recommending this place to any friends or family.
We have had other experiences with afternoon tea at some very nice hotels locally and was extremely disappointed with this hotel.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Sardinia, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The hotel is centrally located. The building bears interesting histories, and a garden was beautifully kept. Breakfast was served in the restaurant where many original features of the building have been preserved. The room I stayed was decent, spacious with a comfortable bed. The only shame is that the toiletries they provided were Made in China with poor quality.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, responded to this review, today
Dear Yuwei42,

Thank you for your review and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel, we have recently changed our toiletries to a higher quality brand and we are in the process of running down the existing stocks.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

Seven of us stayed here for two nights and had a lovely stay. Receptionist was very helpful, rooms were very clean and modern. Beds comfortable. Only criticism being breakfast. For four star hotel it was poor we have had better in a b & b. The toast was soggy even when first served. The eggs were like rubber, everything else was ok.
All in all very happy stay, would go again.

Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Dear PetaV,

Thank you for your review and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, I will look into your comments regarding breakfast as this is normally very well received and I apologise that it does not appear to have been to the correct standard.

Watton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed two nights with my sister for concentrated site seeing. Lovely garden room, very comfy beds, good sized, clean bathroom. Very good food and service for all meals. Only complaint - one pillowcase had a rip and was interlaced!! Lots of apologies! Would recommend.

Room Tip: Garden room .
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear DianaR,

Thank you for your feedback and I am glad to hear that you had a lovely stay with us, I apologise that there was a rip in your pillowslip and it is very rare for something like this to slip past the "keen eye" of our Head Housekeeper but I have made her aware of it.

We look forward to wecloming you back.

Guildford, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I arrived for afternoon tea on Thursday 18 August and duly handed in a Group-on voucher at reception. We were told to go through the bar and a waiter took us into the lounge, we were asked where we would like to sit, which wasn't difficult since we were the only ones in there . He asked whether we required tea or coffee, which duly appeared together with a cake stand of sandwiches, cake and scones etc., which were all very nice- and that was the last we saw of him.!! We realised when a different waiter walked through there must have been a changeover. It would have been nice if either of them had asked if everything was alright or did we need anything. After an hour we left, no member of staff asked whether we had a good experience - unfortunately we hadn't and we would certainly not think of recommending afternoon tea at the Winchester Royal.

Room Tip: This was a review of Afternoon Tea only we did not stay overnight
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear CedricL,

Thank you for your review, I am sorry to hear that we did not provide our normal levels of service during your visit in August. After reviewing this I am aware that we were unfortunately depleted on our usual staffing levels on that day and that this has impacted on our normally high level of service and I can only apologise for this. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the content of the afternoon tea.

Kind regards

Northwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here on business as I had a meeting near Southampton and this was the nearest available. I had tried to stay at Hilton, Holiday Inn or anything - just as you know what you're getting. But I'm really glad they were all full!

This hotel is nestled in the centre of Winchester (down an annoying one way system of course). There is car parking at the rear that is free to guests (or was on my stay). The reception, bar and restaurant are all rather historic which is apt since the hotel was built in Charles III era!

The bedrooms in the main hotel were lovely. I actually stayed in a 'suite' that had a separate living room area (table, desk, couch, chair) and a lovely large double bed with views out over the gardens to the rear. All very lovely. Decor and cleanliness were excellent too. Much nicer than the soulless nature of a chain.

Warning though! I saw they had a separate modern annex to the hotel and I have no idea what those rooms were like so if you want the historic rooms make sure you reserve one in the main hotel.

Pricing was excellent - Thursday night with breakfast (mini-suite remember) was only £125 - breakfast was very good though fried eggs were swimming in grease as usual - a nice touch would be to have an 'egg station' on busier mornings I'd suggest - where a commi-chef can prepare scrambled, poached or fried eggs to order - I've seen this in numerous places and it's always a nice touch - better than piles of fried eggs in oil or scrambled egg in water!

Didn't eat at the restaurant - prices were typical of a city restaurant - and there were many options within a few minutes walk. I actually went (with my colleague) to the local pub "Oak" - the oldest pub in England supposedly - where a nice t-bone steak was around £15.

The gardens at the back were lovely - really nice place for a drink in an evening - well maintained too.

Overall - this was a pleasant surprise! I am used to chain hotels for business and this was a departure from that - I would highly recommend this hotel for business (and family/couples) when needing a hotel in and around Winchester, but also, consider it for Southampton business trips too - it's only 15/20 minutes away from Southampton and a lot lot cheaper!

Room Tip: Ask for a suite overlooking the gardens in the main hotel.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Dear Skipstream69,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, we pride ourselves on our character and history and I am pleased that you noted the welcoming ambience as an alternative to the larger chain hotels. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Louis Rigney

Been to Winchester Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!