“Afternoon tea. 8th February 2014” 5 of 5 stars

You added Winchester Royal Hotel to your Saves list
Winchester Royal Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   St Peter Street, Winchester SO23 8BS, England   |
Ranked #7 of 11 hotels in Winchester
“Afternoon tea. 8th February 2014”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Using a groupon coupon given as a Xmas present .
Really lovely atmosphere, nicely presented,
All food was excellent and plentiful, fresh variety of sandwiches, georgeous scones with cream and jam, nice coffee and ferry friendly staff
We would like to return very soon.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear MartinS,

Thank you for your review, I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your afternoon tea at the Hotel and that the quality and service really enhanced this for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

423 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Had a nice afternoon tea purchased through groupon. There was one lady serving all(poor thing) who was lovely!! The tea was nice but sandwich were a little stale. Over all not a bad experience for a groupon was a nice day out. Would probably return on another deal

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear Zclw,

Thank you for your review, I am sorry to hear that you found the bread to be a little stale with your afternoon tea, I have investigated this with the Chef and this maybe due to the fact that we ran out of bread yesterday afternoon and bought in some bread locally and I regret that this was not to our normal standard, please rest assured that we are now back to our usual bread suppliers and I am sure you will find on your next visit that our normally high standards will be resumed. As ever we do always ask our guests to raise any issue they may have with us at the time as we would have gladly rectified this for you had we been made aware.

I am pleased to note that you still had a nice tea with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in near future.

Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

I was given an Afternoon Tea from the Winchester Royal as a Christmas present, and whilst I admit some of my preferential dates were not available the hotel were very good at providing alternative dates and times. The only stipulation they had was that it must be taken before the 22nd February. I consider this a very fair point as it was a "special offer" and these should only run for set times. It is business after all! On arrival I proceeded to reception, where I was met with a friendly welcome from the male receptionist (sorry didn't get his name) whom proceeded to direct me to the bar. I was met by a friendly barman called Tom whom proceeded to take me to the lounge, which was packed with afternoon teas! I could see why the hotel was quite careful on booking times. We were sat down with a view of the garden (even though it was raining) and Tom proceeded to bring out our afternoon tea. I have to admit it was one of the best I have had in recent times! Compliments to the chef!! The scones were warmed through and the sandwiches were lovely. We had our Prosecco at the end just as the majority of people were leaving the lounge. The staff were clearly busy however my managed to be very attentive at the same time. Once we were done it was very nice to be wished a lovely day, this is so lacking in establishments these days! All in all I highly recommend this afternoon tea, and based on the service I received I shall likely return in the not to distant future.

As for my fellow poster below I can only say I did not see anything like an obnoxious member of staff at all! Far from it!

• Stayed February 2014
Dear abrotherc

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your afternoon tea at the Hotel, this has been a very successful winter promotion for us and I am pleased to hear that our staff were pleasant and attentive, we do pride ourselves on our afternoon teas and all our scones are freshly baked each day on site. We will shortly be introducing our Chocolate Indulgence Teas so keep watching this space!

We can be even more busier in the summer months but we then have the added benefit of being able to serve afternoon teas in our Secret Garden so if you are coming back for a second visit I can highly recommend it and as one of our previous reviewers described it is an "Oasis of Calm" within the City.

I will pass your kind comments on to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Ryde, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

My partner and I chose the Winchester Royal for a weekend break, just staying overnight on this occasion. The hotel is right in the centre of Winchester, only minutes walk from the main shopping area, Winchester cathedral, and the railway station. Our room was small, but nicely appointed, with a comfy and clean bed. The place looked to have been recently refurbished, including a large wall mounted flat screen TV, and expected facilities of a good standard.

All was well until about 7pm, when it became clear to us that we'd been put in a room amid guests from a wedding party, who'd been drinking all day. Over the course of the next hour we had a leery couple crash against our bedroom door, kids running wild, and what sounded like a bid for the Guinness Record on door slamming. Things got worse when the disco started up, about 60yrds from our window, and soon became loud enough so that we couldn't hear the TV properly.

At this point we went to reception to complain, and found the duty manager very understanding, apologetic and helpful. Within minutes we'd been upgraded to a superior room on the other side of the hotel, overlooking the walled garden. This room was much nicer, and thankfully well away from the party people.

We'd opted to breakfast at the hotel and found the choice to be excellent, and the service attentive. Check out before noon was easy, and the hotel will allow bags to be left for later collection, should visitors wish to do a little more exploring before making their way home. With the single caveat that security, and behaviour expected from guests could be improved, we can recommend the Winchester Royal.

Room Tip: Ask fro something overlooking the walled garden, as far away from the main block as possible. Especi...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear AdamW94,

Thank you for your review and your kind comments, the Hotel has indeed been recently refurbished and I am also pleased to note that you found the food and service to be to your liking.

It is regrettable that you were disturbed by wedding guests and I apologise for the lack of courtesy shown by them but this was dealt with promptly by our management team as soon as it was brought to our attention. By now you should have also received my direct correspondence sent to you on this matter.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Walton-On-Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I can't think of anything that was wrong with our stay last week. The hotel has obviously been refurbished very recently - room was immaculate and very quiet overlooking the garden. Dinner and breakfast were excellent.
The location is perfect, right in the middle of town yet very quiet.
Can only think the rating on this hotel is low due to reviews before the recent refurb.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear PiazzaMark,

Thank you for your review, I am delighted that you found your stay at the Hotel to be "faultless" we do make a great effort to ensure that a high standard of customer care is maintained for our guests and you are correct in your observations regarding our scoring on Trip Advisor as not only are there a large number of reviews from "pre-refurbishment" days but we have also had changes in senior management and personnel at the Hotel within the past few months aswell as implementing an ongoing customer care training programme to further develop our standards of service.

We value all guest feedback as this is also used as a training tool, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Me and my girlfriend went here for our anniversary.

The good:

Amazing location, less than a minute walk to the center.

Friendly and helpful staff

24 hour on site bar

Beautiful hotel, kept in a great condition.

Clean and very comfy room.

The bad:

One of the light fittings were hanging from the ceiling.

Only some of TV channels worked, which was annoying.

While the breakfast was included it wasn't great. There was lots of choice and because of this the food quality suffers. It wasn't a great choice for vegetarians either.

While these issues didn't ruin our stay there is room for improvement.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GMWinchester, General Manager at Winchester Royal Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear James H,

Thank you for your review and your constructive comments, we do appreciate all guest feedback and we work with an ethic of trying to ensure a continous and sustained improvment across all areas of the business and never being content to just "rest on our laurels"

We will be using your comments as part of our ongoing commitment to training and development and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Brecon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Elegantly furnished lounge which serves marvellous cream teas.
Excellent restaurant also faces the long, well-planted garden.
Room and bathroom immaculately clean and comfortable; totally quiet despite being so near the centre of town; so quiet that one morning we overslept; Typical of the very well trained and courteous staff that they gave us an excellent breakfast even though we arrived just as the staff were clearing up. Good lights for reading (a rarity in hotels): much to read about this ancient city.
Great advantage that guests can leave the car in the hotel's car park and avoid the hassle of finding a parking place each day; all the major historic buildings are within easy walking distance: except for the picturesque Hospital of St Cross: best reached by a lovely walk of a mile or so down the river.
Take great care to follow the Hotel's map for directions: St Peter's Lane is very narrow and easy to miss as you drive up the main road in a queue of traffic.Hotel is sign-posted: an elegant Georgian building.

Room Tip: Worth paying a little more to occupy a garden room with a view over the garden; an oasis of peace in...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear JohnPollard,

Thank you for your review and your description of the Hotel as "A haven of peace" as you and others have discovered our location is probably one of the best in the City being only a couple of minutes walk from the centre and just five minutes from the Cathedral yet we are tucked far enough away to provide a refuge from the hustle and bustle.

I am pleased to note that you found our rooms and particularly our beds so comfortable that you slept in but we still managed to ensure you enjoyed a hearty breakfast!

I will pass your kind comments on to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Winchester Royal.

Louis Rigney

Been to Winchester Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!