“A truly English experience” 5 of 5 stars

Lainston House Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Woodman Lane | Sparsholt, Winchester S021 2LT, England   |
Ranked #2 of 12 hotels in Winchester
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
“A truly English experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I happened upon Lainston House by accident after a long day of driving. A beautiful manor located in stunning English countryside. Excellent service and accommodating staff. On the expensive side of things but worth it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
ALopez-Bustos, General Manager at Lainston House Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Lachie J,
Thank you for taking the time to review Lainston House following your recent stay. We are really proud to be guardians of this wonderful quintessentially English country house and I am delighted to see that the team was on their usual form to ensure you had a memorable time at Lainston.

We look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back

521 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We chose Lainston House Hotel as we'd been given a voucher for a champagne afternoon tea, and felt it would be a nice treat to stay the night as well.

Our afternoon tea was superb with excellent attention to detail. For the first time in my experience of afternoon teas, a wonderfully light and refreshing amuse bouche was served before the arrival of the sandwiches. Coupled with beautifully-presented sandwiches and cakes, followed by freshly-baked scones, I can't recommend it enough.

Arrival and check-in was efficient, if perhaps a touch impersonal. We found we had been upgraded to a deluxe room, situated in the converted attic/roof of the original house. The room was well presented, spacious and amazingly clean. Our view was of the original avenue leading to the house and beyond over the countryside.

Dinner was of a very high standard - the three AA rosettes for the restaurant suggest others have a similarly high opinion. Service was attentive but unobtrusive and my only complaint, shared with some other hotels, is that the bar prices are ludicrous. £15 for a 175ml glass of Sauvignon Blanc?! I begrudgingly accept it's to be expected at high-end hotels but this is by far the highest prices I've seen (including London hotels).

Breakfast was again excellent, and it was good to see it consisted of many locally-sourced ingredients.

This has left us with a bit of a dilemma - it's a lovely hotel to visit but it's just a little too close to home to feel like a real break away!

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor of the house have tons of character with exposed beams and brickwork along wi...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Darren H,
Thank you for your fantastic review. I am delighted to read that you had and enjoyable and relaxing time with us.

Our Afternoon tea has is now more popular than ever and we continue to work to develop both the offering and service even further. I am really pleased to hear that it was the initial reason for your visit and I will be delighted to share your comments with the team.

I agree with you, the rooms at the top of the main house are full of character, very traditional and with amazing views. There are not two rooms the same at Lainston and I always recommend to give our reservations team a call so they can make sure they suggest the most appropriate room and offer the best deals.

It is very rewarding to see that you also enjoyed your evening meal. We consider food to be a very important part of any experience at Lainston and I hope you had the opportunity to visit our kitchen garden, say hello to our pigs or try the honey from our beehives. I can understand your comments about the drinks, however I believe we offer great value when considering all the elements involved on the delivery of the service, from the selection of the right quality wines to the knowledge of our sommeliers and the quality of the glassware. I will, of course, continue to monitor similar feedback but I can assure you they are in line with similar 5 star country house hotels in the local area. Our white wine offering starts at £6.50 for 175ml Chenin Blanc, but we are happy to offer any of the 300+ wines in our cellar by the glass.

Being right on your doorstep, I look forward to welcoming you back many times in the future - maybe it'll be worth you joining our exclusive dining club! If you are tempted to get a little bit further I would recommend our sister properties, The Manor House at Castle Combe, South Lodge near Horsham and Pennyhill Park in Surrey.

Once again, thank you for your endorsement.

Twickenham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

In the last eight years my family and I have stayed in the Lainston House Hotel several times and I think it's just about my favourite hotel in the UK. Probably in my top ten worldwide too.

The best things about it are the view and grounds, the ambience, the wonderful rooms and the superb food. I've also always found the staff to be friendly, attentive and helpful but never in an obsequious way.

It's certainly true that there seem to be plenty of weddings here. I can't complain about that - since I got married here myself - but I can honestly say I've never had my peace disturbed.

Usually when we stay here, there will be some children (and thankfully gradually more over the years) and we've got to have dinner in the separate room with the Earl Montbatten portrait painting. It's beautiful room, the food and wine is great and it's wonderful to be made to feel so special when one stays here.

Room Tip: My favourite room is 'Heather' it's huge and wheelchair accessible. It's quiet too b...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Parbold_Standish
Thank you for your amazing comments about Lainston. It is always a pleasure to welcome back returning guests that have become ambassadors of Lainston House and Exclusive Hotels through the years, especially those who like you have held their wedding and other special occasions with us.

The Mountbatten room is indeed a very beautiful dining private room. The wood panelled walls give that extra warmth and I love to see guests dining there in the winter, with the fire lit and the dimmed lights.

Once again, thank you for your review - I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the hotel the night before a meeting being held at Lainston House. When i arrived the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. When I entered the bedroom, all I could do was smile! The room was simply stunning; an oak four poster bed with the most comfortable pillows, a sumptuous bathroom with heated floor, seating area and large writing desk, all tastefully decorated, reflecting the charm and characteristics of this historical building. The WiFi connection was strong and there was a great selection of in the room refreshments including luxury hot chocolate!

The meeting was in the converted barn, accessed via a beautiful walkway. The room again reflected the period features of the hotel, with a few modern additions! The business lunch was divine with smoked salmon to start, followed by a carvery and scrumptious desserts!

The only thing that could have been improved was the signage to the hotel, my satellite navigation took me close but not quite there, thank goodness for Google maps! On my departure, I did notice a sign to Lainston House, however this was obscured by ivy and not in the most obvious place!

Thank you to all the staff for a truly wonderful stay, I have already dropped the hint to my partner and hope to return again soon!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear MyersH87,
Thank you for taking the time to review Lainston House following your recent visit. I am delighted to hear that you had a successful meeting at the Hotel and that the accommodation and the team were helpful and friendly.

Some say that WiFi has become a must in recent years. From the beginning we have invested heavily to ensure that our guests have a strong and reliable connection free of charge with sufficient bandwidth to replicate the requirements of a professional these days. I am delighted to see that this was a welcomed serviced for your and your colleagues.

I have asked the grounds team to check the local roads to ensure that all signs are visible, as some older map versions of sat navs do have the wrong location for the entrance to the drive.

I will be delighted to share your feedback with the rest of the team. We look forward to welcoming you back if not on business, maybe for a leisure break, in the not too distant future.

Banbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We were upgraded upon arrival on Sunday afternoon. It was my birthday on the Monday so it was a nice gesture on their part.
The room was amazing, being a suite on the top floor of the main building. Gorgeous.

The afternoon tea was lovely and I sat on the garden terrace and read a paper. The taster menu dinner was fine and was almost equal to our fine dining experiences at Ode Restaurant in Shaldon in Devon.

The dining room is a little old fashioned and formal but perfectly agreeable. Breakfast pancakes delicious as was the granola.

A lovely stay and one I would recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ALopez-Bustos, General Manager at Lainston House Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Smith03
Thank you for your wonderful review of Lainston House after your recent Sunday visit to celebrate your birthday.

I am really pleased to hear that the team had the opportunity to add to the special occasion by upgrading your accommodation and to see than even the weather was kind to allow you to enjoy the Terrace and gardens.

I will be delighted to share your comments with the team, especially with the Restaurant and Kitchen brigade. We are looking forward to your next visit.

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed at the hotel one night for a wedding, also held at the hotel.

Service we received was excellent, with a member of staff carrying our bags to our room. Everything in the hotel said quality, including the bedroom furnishings, toiletries, wedding organisation and food, at both the wedding and at breakfast next morning, which was delicious and included a range of locally sourced foods.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Helen D
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about Lainston House after your recent visit whilst attending a wedding.

It is fantastic to hear about your excellent experience and hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Abbotsford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

While visiting my cousins in Basingstoke this past September, they treated us to our very first ever Afternoon Tea here at the Lainston House in Sparsholt. But first we took over an hour to walk around their gardens and grounds and enjoyed taking a look into their bird sanctuary and their vegetable gardens. After all that walking we were all hungry and enjoyed an amazing Afternoon Tea inside this most amazing estate home! Food was amazing as were all our tea choices. We also were treated to some amazing French Champagne ...so what an awesome experience! The service was impeccable as was the quality of the sandwiches, scones and biscuits and all the sweets! I definitely took some pictures so I will never forget our time spent here! Definitely worth visiting and would recommend this to those who want to experience the best Afternoon Tea in England!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Barb F
We are really pleased to read about your wonderful experience of Lainston House, the grounds and the Afternoon tea. I am delighted to hear that the team were on their usual form and looked after you and your family, and that the food and drink helped to make such a marked occasion even more special.

Thank you for your endorsement - I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Antonio Lopez-Bustos

Been to Lainston House Hotel? Share your experiences!