“Lainston House - Beautiful Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Woodman Lane | Sparsholt, Winchester S021 2LT, England   |
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Lainston House - Beautiful Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

My partner and I booked this hotel through Secret Escapes which included 2 nights and a 2 course al a carte meal on our first night. We were looking for something romantic and quite but in a good location. This we certainly got here.

On arrival I was taken a back at how beautiful the grounds were and the hotel itself. When arriving we were checked in promptly and we decided to have a drink outside over looking the avenue which was beautiful and very relaxing.

We had a standard room which, was by no means standard. They were beautiful and had plenty of space. I think I was more impressed with the tv in the bathroom which I went out of my way to make use of.

Food in the Avenue Restaurant was lovely and the service was brilliant. Just a note the wine list is extensive and quite expensive and if you are not really sure of wines it can be quite intimidating. Not a problem though I told one of the waiters what I liked to drink and the kind of price I wanted to spend and he recommended a lovely bottle of wine to go with our meal.

Overall this is a lovely hotel and my partner and I had a lovely time and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ALopez-Bustos, General Manager at Lainston House Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Jemma S,
Thank you for your wonderful review of Lainston House. We are delighted to see that your break with us was a very special one and that the service, the food and drink, the accommodation and the setting were all memorable highlights.

We look forward to seeing again.

Antonio Lopez-Bustos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

The location, property and views, especially the gardens are stunning, on a warm evening no better place to sit with a quiet drink
Combined with superb food, with helpful staff.
We were not resident and went for dinner.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

As a U.S. traveler looking for a charming romantic English countryside location I was more than thrilled with this location. I had just survived a dreadful Hilton hotel in the neighborhood and was very happy to move to this absolutely wonderful hotel that makes you feel like an English country squire for the duration of your visit. The hotel is every it as beautiful as the pictures online. The room was fabulous, beds comfortable, beautiful furniture, huge bathroom. The front desk staff could not have been nicer. Another welcome surprise was how well the free WIFI worked throughout the hotel. I would return in a heartbeat.

Stayed September 2013
ALopez-Bustos, General Manager at Lainston House Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Kweill,
Thank you for taking the time to review Lainston House after your recent visit. I am pleased to see that the hotel, location and the service from the team were able to create that quintessentially English countryside romantic experience you were looking for.

We are really grateful for your endorsement and look forward to seeing you back soon.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Arrived on a beautiful sunny day, easy car parking, checked in smoothly. Camellia room with views down the tree lined 'avenue' (park) was perfect for us - huge comfy bed, armchairs, a desk to work at, and still space to walk around. Hypoallergenic bedding was provided without any fuss. Fixtures and fittings all smart, clean and in working order. Great contemporary bathroom with TV, fantastic rain shower and two basins. Super toiletries. Complimentary hot drinks - the coffee bag for the cafetiere is poor, very weak result, but the hot chocolate is delicious! Not keen on the mugs - the china used downstairs is lovely, so ask for china cups in your room and they will oblige. Lovely gardens to sit in and games to play if you have family or friends with you. We had lunch on the terrace. The food is expensive, but you are paying for the convenience and the location as well as the quality. The hotel arranged for a taxi to take us into Winchester (£10.60 each way) for our dinner at No5 Bridge Street (delicious and fun). A very good night's sleep followed by a tasty breakfast, and then sadly it was time to leave. I would stay at Lainston House again without a doubt, and would happily recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Stevie65
Thank you for sharing your experience of Lainston House following your recent visit. I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable time with us and that your room was comfortable. I am also pleased to see that you used the 'Service en chambre' and will continue to monitor feedback about the strength of the cafetiere coffee bag. It is great to see that you found a good alternative on the hot chocolate but in any case our room service team is available 24hr to prepare your favourite cup. We have recently enhanced the in room coffee offering in our Exclusive Junior Suites and Suites with the latest Nespresso machines and pods which has proven very popular.

Once again, thank you for your comments - we look forward to seeing you back soon.

Bristol, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We came to a wedding reception here last weekend. What a beautiful place. We were early so we waited in the library and admired the Gibbons wood carving. The wedding took place in the barn and was just beautiful. The food was all lovely and the staff helpful and friendly.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

The most beautiful cared for hotel in an amazing setting. We had a gorgeous junior suite decorated in quality furnishing. The hotel had amazing things to do... We walked the exciting grounds and looked at the amazing kitchen garden where they grew beautiful fruit and veg for the hotel. There were owls, Pigs, ducks and a beautiful Orchard. The 2 hotel bikes were free so we took a ride to a local pub for a G&T then rode around the exciting grounds.
We had afternoon tea which was fair value for money £24.50 per head included unlimited tea which made it a better buy then other food on the bar menu. Breakfast was beautiful and fresh with a selection of quality yogurts and fruit.
The only negative was that you need a lot of money to eat and drink in the hotel. Dinner in the main restaurant on an evening was £45 per head for 2 courses if i remember rightly but it is tiny and without bread rolls leaves you hungry! and I'm not a big eater. Service is good but maybe the tables would be to close for some? The second night we had room service which we chose a steak at £29.50 but it did feel more fulfilling.The bar snacks again we felt were very small. The only conclusion i can draw is that the hotel must cost so much to keep and they do that well. So charging higher prices is a must. A great hotel for a special occasion with a great personality.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
ALopez-Bustos, General Manager at Lainston House Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Dear claire D,
Thank you for your wonderful review of Lainston House. We are delighted to see that you enjoyed the hotel and were able to explore the grounds before enjoying our traditional afternoon tea.

I am also pleased to read that you were able to appreciate the value added by the quality of produce and location.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The good and very good points. A fabulous hotel and grounds set in beautiful countryside.
My cousin and I arrive on Monday mid day for the lovely light and delicious wine and two course lunch.We meet up with two friends who had traveled from near Manchester. Followed by a informal, friendly and interesting millinery talk by hat maker Rachel Drewer. A afternoon stroll around the grounds was enjoyable. Viewing the owls and chatting to their resident falconer and his black dog.
A short walk up a lane and across a field took us out on a nearby lane and close by was the charming and food and toffee cheesecake heaven pub 'The Plough Inn'. Book ahead or get there as they open to get a table even on a Monday.
There were bikes available for the guests to ride locally but sadly they were never two free and usable during our stay. On the morning we checked out we were informed by staff that one had suffered a broken front wheel and the other a broken chain the evening before, cyclist be aware no street light and no lights are attached to the bikes!
The but and down and disappointing points of our stay.
Our twin bedroom at Lainston House Hotel was booked over a month ahead by myself yet we were given a room which was a little cramped , had a faulty and noisy bathroom fan in a nearby room. This noise went on all night despite us calling reception at 9.30 pm to inform them and as were getting ready for bed. So not a peaceful or restful nights sleep was had.
Not then helped as the room had only a bath with over shower and not a walk in shower as I had especially said I needed and had requested at the time of booking due to me having two lower back prolapsed discs and a dodgy right hip.
I used the shower mat (found in a draw in the bedroom) yet I slipped and couldn't save myself as no hand rails of any sort so now I'm sporting a painful and nasty bruise on the back of my left and good leg.
Would I go there again yes. Would I stay there overnight again? No and as the manager said and pointed out that they say in their booking terms that " they can not guarantee any such special requests".

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear DBverycherry,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay to attend one of our very popular ladies lunches.

I was delighted to have the opportunity to talk to you during your stay and I was sorry to hear about the noise and the issue with the allocation of rooms. Our team was not able to hear any noise when reported - after your departure our maintenance team discovered a faulty valve in the bathroom to be cause of the issue.

Once again, thank you for all your comments, which were taking as an opportunity to monitor and improve our guest experiences for the future.

I look forward to seeing you back in the not too distant future.

Antonio Lopez-Bustos

Been to Lainston House Hotel? Share your experiences!