“Great place, but some failings...” 4 of 5 stars

Lainston House Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Woodman Lane | Sparsholt, Winchester S021 2LT, England   |
Ranked #2 of 11 hotels in Winchester
London, England, United Kingdom
“Great place, but some failings...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This is a great hotel in blissful surroundings. My wife and I held our wedding reception here many years ago and have also been back several times, either for weekend stays or just for long lunches and afternoon teas. In general the rooms and room service staff are fine. The restaurant is ok but don't expect brilliant food, just good. It's a bit "up itself" in this regard, as 'sailornipper' commented. The Manoir aux quat'Saisons it is not. The lounge to the right of reception is a wonderful place to while away the afternoon. A significant issue is that, apart from the bar, this not very large lounge is the only place to sit down and consequently it can go from peaceful bliss to total overcrowding in the space of a few minutes. Somewhat of a let down for a hotel of this advertised calibre. But nevertheless, an excellent place to be and relax.

Room Tip: I would always insist on a room in the main house.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Lainstonhouse, General Manager at Lainston House Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Michael C,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Lainston House. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your latest visit and value your feedback.

With regards to your comment about the food in the restaurant I would be delighted to discuss this with you personally as I am not sure what is meant by "up itself". We take the quality of our food offering very seriously and consider it to be as good, if not better, than anything being produced in the area. I would agree that we may not be quite to the standard of Le Manoir aux Quat Saison just yet but then few hotels are although our philosophies are very similar. The Avenue is our fine dining restaurant and the experience is intended to be just that but delivered with warm and friendly service. For those wanting something a little more relaxed we have very recently introduced a new menu to The Cedar Bar which includes a selection of sharing platters, simple salads and steak.

The Drawing Room is our main lounge and is very popular with hotel guests and those joining us or afternoon tea due to the wonderful views and open fires but I accept that space is limited especially during the winter months when the gorgeous gardens and terrace are not an option.

Thank you, once again, for your review and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to Lainston House and perhaps discussing your views on the restaurant very soon.

Best regards

503 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Ravenna
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a three night break at the Lainston Hotel. Lovely surroundings with open log fires in the entrance and lounge areas. The room was very nice, with great bathroom and shower. Service in the restaurant was excellent and the food choice ranged from ok to very good. The one area where the service let it down was the co-ordination from the restaurant to the lounge for post dinner drinks, coffee etc. All three nights we had to ask two or three times for coffee, and the lounge/bar staff did not ask if we required any service. In all a very good stay, but room for improvement in certain areas.

Room Tip: Good view from rooms at the back of the hotel.
Dear Dodeen,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Lainston House Hotel. I was delighted to read that on the whole you had an enjoyable stay with us but disappointed that the communication between the restaurant and bar teams with regards to your coffee and digestifs post dinner was lacking. I have subsequently addressed this with the respective department managers to ensure this is remedied going forward.

Thank you, once again, for your review and I very much hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Lainston House in the near future.

Best regards,

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from the Lainston Hotel. It was the most Fabulous Hotel I have ever been to. We like our weekend breaks, and have tried many hotels all over the country - including the Waldorf in London. I can honestly say that the Lainston was the best one so far!
On arrival we drove through the sweeping grounds which looked stunning. On entering the hotel, we were greeted by a roaring fire and very friendly and helpful staff. Our suite was amazing. With a huge 4 poster bed with gorgeous carved wooden posts - a selection of current magazines, books, high back chairs and a sitting area. Plenty of tea, hot chocolate and coffee - with a special espresso machine and cafetierre. As it was my birthday - they had even left two beautiful cupcakes with 'Happy Birthday' on top to greet us! The bathroom was enormous with a jacuzzi bath and very impressive shower. Our evening meal was wonderful - we had an early dinner 7pm so we were the first couple to sit. Initially it was a little stiff - we whispered to each other and some quiet background music may just have made it more comfortable. But as other guests arrived then the place became more alive and we felt more relaxed. The actual food was amazing. The service was quick and efficient - the wine list was very pricey though.
There are lovely lounge areas to sit in - one with a pianist.
Breakfast in our room was a perfect way to finish our stay - and delicious.
Check out was quick and easy - I would definatly like to return to the Lainston and would strongly recommend it to anyone. It is not a cheap hotel for a quick get away - it is a very nice 5 star hotel with 5 star hotel prices. But you certainly get what you pay for and I loved every minute of my stay and was happy that it was worth every penny I spent for a short break at this little slice of Heaven!

Dear Zoemick,

Thank you for your wonderful review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Lainston House Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to play a part in your birthday celebrations.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to Lainston House in the near future.

Best regards

Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Had stayed here and enjoyed the room and surroundings two years ago. Had doubts about the restaurant then but came back for a two night visit this weekend. Requested room being refurbished and given standard room in modern area. Bit noisy with lots of children running around corridors. Nice bedroom and lovely bathroom with great shower and bath TV so 5* here. Took ages and two phone calls for room service but may have been busy.
Restaurant again lets them down. Too 'up them selves' is probably the best description. Wine overpriced (especially as you're going to pay another 12.5% at end - not unique here but increasingly grates). It had been busy and suspect some things were running out. The fish, when it came, was not right. Not sure if it had been frozen or was just not a good piece but smelt wrong and was tough. Mentioned to staff but no come back - no visit from chef or waiter, just abandonment. No acknowledgement we were not happy with meal. Neighbouring table being schmoozed by sommelier but we were ignored as had only ordered two half bottles.
Lovely area to explore. Had a walk locally, then in New Forest and visit to Winchester. Chose not to eat in restaurant again...
Lots of nice things about the place and a great setting but let down by overall attitude.

East Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Just come back from Lainston House. It's a lovely hotel with excellent staff. Our room was very nice, fantastic shower and tv over the bath which my son thought was amazing - a first for me too!! Down side was we had an infestation of flies (big ones) in our room. The hotel were clearly aware of the problem and the room was obviously treated somehow as they died fairly quickly once in but they kept getting in which was a shame as it was off putting and meant I didn't relax as much as I might.

The afternoon tea is lovely, a real treat. The food at dinner however wasn't as good as I've had in hotels of this class and I found it an expensive disappointment. Seemed to me the chef was trying too hard to be inventive at the expense of flavour. Would not have dinner there again. The children's food is very overpriced for what it is. I don't want to knock this hotel as it is very nice but the flies and the dinner were negatives. Overall though a lovely break in a lovely place.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 1 night on a special afternoon tea package. It was absolutely amazing from entrance to the hotel, service, food for the whole stay. The afternoon tea was plentiful with the best tasting scones ever!. Our room was the junior suite (Ruby) and we had a fantastic jacuzzi bath aswell as a massive walk in shower. The package did not include dinner so we orderd a taxi to take us into winchester town centre and this was a short drive and only cost £10. We will definatley be returning for special occassions. Thank You to Lainston House for making our honeymoon stay a memorable one.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We have stayed at the Lainston before but this was some time ago so we were anticipating the level of service we had earlier. We were not disappointed as our weekend break was marvellous. They also had to cope with a large wedding (which was well away from the main body of the hotel) but we didn't notice any problem at all re the service we received.

The Lainston House will never be cheap and you wouldn't stay here and eat if you were worried about every penny, but you do get what you pay for. The staff were all very helpful and friendly and the promised flowers turned up even though it was a sunday.

The only very minor issue was that my very low car grounded on the last speed bump each time I went over it - would be nice if this was lower. All the others are fine.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Lainston House Hotel? Share your experiences!