“Soft bed in a good, modern hotel convenient for motorway and Winchester” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Winchester

You added Holiday Inn Winchester to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Winchester
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Telegraph Way | Morn Hill, Winchester SO21 1HZ, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Hampshire, UK
“Soft bed in a good, modern hotel convenient for motorway and Winchester”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Saturday evening 21st December 2013 and overnight; We stayed here as part of my wife's company Christmas party. We had previously enjoyed an excellent meal here, back in August 2013, at a friend's birthday party.

The hotel is located just to the east of Winchester, near the junction of the A31 and the A272 near the "Percy Hobbs" roundabout. Easy access from both M3 J9 and M3 J10 via the Spitfire Link and up the side of Morn Hill. This location enables you to reach the Portsmouth Ferry terminal within 45 minutes (there is a closer Holiday Inn, near M3 J13 in Eastleigh).

The car park is on a slight slope and it can be a little windswept; plenty of disabled parking bays but NONE are right next door to the entrance.

There is a massive atrium for the Reception area. We found good-sized bedrooms where everything worked. The meal (around 16 tables of up to ten people on each table) was spotless; every course was served at the correct temperature and at the same time for everyone on the table. This little piece of excellent co-ordination behind the scenes SHOULD be the default in every hotel but is sometimes lacking. The Holiday Inn Winchester team can be proud that they delivered flawlessly.

The bar is well-organised - benchmark GBP19 for a 75cl bottle of Montepulciano D'Abruzzo - a fair price for an hotel bar.

Breakfast the following morning was an excellent buffet (the only drawback is that my wife prefers fried eggs but this was not this option - scrambled eggs were the only option, but this was hardly a major problem).

But oh my Lord - the BEDS!. We have a firm mattress at home and we are regular (Platinum) users of Marriott hotels and other hotels within the Marriott family, where the beds are firm. This Holiday Inn hotel bed was TOO soft. We didn't quite get to the point of sea-sickness, but the bed was too soft. Sorry but there it is, dropping a perfect "FIVE" to a less-than-perfect overall "FOUR" rating.

Mike

Room Tip: Steer clear of the lift areas; otherwise no specific warnings
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you so much Mike H for such a comprehensive review! I am delighted that on your return visit for a Christmas function you enjoyed it again.

The events team worked very hard to ensure everything ran smoothly with the support of our kitchen brigade.

I am sorry the breakfast team did not point out that fried eggs are always available as well as poached. I have spoken with the team to ensure more signage is on the buffet for future guests.

The beds normally score very highly with our guests but I do appreciate everyone has a different preference.

Thanks again Mike and wish you and your wife Happy New Year.

Siobhan Thomasson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Nothing more to say than this is the best Holiday Inn I have stayed in and as a gold elite member I've stayed in a few.Spotlessly clean,easy parking and location.Friendly and efficient check in and great location for the lovely City of Winchester and the new Forest.Stayed on a Saturday night and also got the Christmas rate of just £35,waste cognised as a gold elite member and allocated a quiet room to my club profile specifications. I will definitely return.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear Letzgonow

WOW! What a fabulous review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and will ensure that your comments are passed to the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back in 2014
Kindest Regards

York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Visited the holiday inn winchester for a casino themed party night and was taken back by the size, cleanliness and decoration of the hotel and particularly the room the night was held in. With ease of access to the bar, sectioned off, and the toilets within steps it is ideal! In my eyes the night was a great success, but particularly due to one member of staff (Charlotte or Chelsea?) who was happy and polite to all customers, not fazed when one very rude man shouted "oi" and waved money in her face. However, as I said, it was hit and miss as none of the other bar staff were able to supply cocktails, shouting and interrupting this young lady when they were ordered. In all 11 cocktail pitchers came to our table, by the same lady, and many to others, yet every time my husband sent to the bar she would be busy serving while laughter was heard from a shut door at the back of the bar. We were that impressed when we were offered table service by her when waiting for our taxi, that my husband offered her a job In my sons nearby pub, or failing that a £50 tip which she refused before saying she'd split it between the team, which we didn't think was deserved by many. I would like to hear this star is recognised and rewarded, as otherwise our night would not have been nearly so good. The food was very good, particularly for such a large group size, and I look forward to an opportunity to dine in the restaurant (which appears to be award winning) . On the whole, a great hotel with the potential to be fabulous if more staff had the right attitude and were competent and willing.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you Annabeldevon for such a lovely review. I was especially pleased to read that Chelsea really made your evening a success, I will be sure to pass your comments to her directly as well as share them with the team.
On our busy party nights we did have a few members of staff working as glass collectors that were under 18 and therefore unable to serve at the bar, instead they worked tirelessly behind the scenes to ensure that the bar staff had everything they needed to serve our guests (polished glasses and pitchers), perhaps this was the laughter that you heard? However I will ensure that these comments are passed to the Food and Beverage Manager for him to investigate. We get many compliments about how attentive and friendly our staff are and I do apologise that you felt that they were hit and miss.

Once again thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to visit our AA Rosette Restaurant, the Morn Hill Brasserie.

Winchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

We went to the Christmas Party Casino night and it was excellent. Very well organised and the food was superb. The hotel is clean as are the rooms and the bathrooms. The only downside was I found the bed and pillows too soft but that is just my personal taste....my husband slept just fine! Breakfast was great, buffet style but good selection of cereals, yoghurt, toast and full English. Recommend.

Room Tip: If you do not like a soft bed ask at booking if they have a harder mattress in any of the rooms
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear laurella w

Thank you so much for such a lovely review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed our Casino party nights, we have had some great feedback from other guests that have attended them.

I do hope we will see you again

Siobhan

bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Dropped friend off for Xmas cruise at Southampton used hotel for overnight stay and visit to Winchester very pleased with every aspect of hotel that we used .super , !! Free car parking. Special rate taxi .

Room Tip: 202 twin bedded very comfortable
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear BristolLili

What a fantastic review! Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such lovely feedback and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

I do hope you have a good Christmas and New Year

Winchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

We attended the Casino Royale Christmas night. We enjoyed the drink on arrival and the disco. However we were disappointed by the casino tables. Too many people for very small tables, we could not get near them at all. The food was very disappointing. We had eaten in the restaurant several weeks before and enjoyed really good food. The main course served up at the Casino night resembled a school dinner- the potatoes had hardly been roasted and tasted like boiled ones! The turkey looked and tasted like processed school dinner meat. I do not think the evening was value for money at all.

Dear h s

Thank you for taking the time to review your evening at our Casino Royale party night. We have had some amazing feedback from these parties and I was disappointed to read your comments as nothing had been said on the evening.

The dining experience when catering for 150 people in one function will of course be different from dining in our Restaurant, however we do freshly cook whole turkeys and prepare homemade stuffing in our Kitchens so were surprised that you felt it resembled a school dinner with processed school dinner meat.

Once again thank you for your review and I do hope you have a wonderful Christmas and New Year

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

A nice hotel, a little out of Winchester (you'll need a car) with friendly staff and good sized rooms. The rooms are quite well designed in that they have a large living area which is in part facilitated by having well designed but small bathrooms.

There is plenty of space in the reception area and a large bar / restaurant are downstairs.

The biggest niggle I have is the cost of food and drink items in the restaurant / bar. Breakfast was expensive and of very average quality. If I am honest, it was Holiday Inn Express standard, and there the breakfast is included. Drinks and food was also expensive.

Overall however this is a nice place to stay a night or two, but probably no longer.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Thank you gwaredd, for your feedback after your recent stay.

I am so sorry that you felt breakfast was under par, comparing it to an express breakfast, which I was very surprised at. In a Holiday Inn Express you have a choice of three cooked items, whereas here you have eight hot items on the buffet from award winning sausages and all freshly cooked items, and then the choice of eggs, plus pancakes, fish, omelettes, porridge and several other items cooked fresh to order. Our breakfast is one of the lowest prices in the area compared to other hotels as are all our prices. Our food is all freshly made and sourced from the local area where we can.

I do hope that this has not put you off returning to us if and when you are in the area again.

Siobhan Thomasson

Been to Holiday Inn Winchester? Share your experiences!