Saturday evening 21st December 2013 and overnight; We stayed here as part of my wife's company Christmas party. We had previously enjoyed an excellent meal here, back in August 2013, at a friend's birthday party.
The hotel is located just to the east of Winchester, near the junction of the A31 and the A272 near the "Percy Hobbs" roundabout. Easy access from both M3 J9 and M3 J10 via the Spitfire Link and up the side of Morn Hill. This location enables you to reach the Portsmouth Ferry terminal within 45 minutes (there is a closer Holiday Inn, near M3 J13 in Eastleigh).
The car park is on a slight slope and it can be a little windswept; plenty of disabled parking bays but NONE are right next door to the entrance.
There is a massive atrium for the Reception area. We found good-sized bedrooms where everything worked. The meal (around 16 tables of up to ten people on each table) was spotless; every course was served at the correct temperature and at the same time for everyone on the table. This little piece of excellent co-ordination behind the scenes SHOULD be the default in every hotel but is sometimes lacking. The Holiday Inn Winchester team can be proud that they delivered flawlessly.
The bar is well-organised - benchmark GBP19 for a 75cl bottle of Montepulciano D'Abruzzo - a fair price for an hotel bar.
Breakfast the following morning was an excellent buffet (the only drawback is that my wife prefers fried eggs but this was not this option - scrambled eggs were the only option, but this was hardly a major problem).
But oh my Lord - the BEDS!. We have a firm mattress at home and we are regular (Platinum) users of Marriott hotels and other hotels within the Marriott family, where the beds are firm. This Holiday Inn hotel bed was TOO soft. We didn't quite get to the point of sea-sickness, but the bed was too soft. Sorry but there it is, dropping a perfect "FIVE" to a less-than-perfect overall "FOUR" rating.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Winchester Hotel Winchester
- Holiday Inn Winchester Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The perfect destination for leisure, business or families. Our 141 luxury and contemporary bedrooms offer ultimate comfort and amenities, including: high-speed wi-fi, luxury beds, power showers and luxury toiletries.Enjoy lunch or dinner at the AA Rosette awarded Morn Hill Brasserie, or relax with a drink or light meal in our contemporary lounge bar.Our stunning location on the edge of the South Downs National Park makes the Holiday Inn one of the most spectacular Winchester wedding venues, catering for to 180 guests. We also offer event hire for parties and celebrations.For all things business, the hotel provides excellent accommodation, as well as meeting rooms and conference facilities. There are 8 boardrooms available for hire, which also includes high speed wireless internet and free car parking.With great parking and access by the M3 motorway, train or bus - the hotel is ideally located to explore the historic city of Winchester and surrounding attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Expedia and Venere so you can book your Holiday Inn Winchester reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.