“Great evening and stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Winchester

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Winchester to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Winchester
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Telegraph Way | Morn Hill, Winchester SO21 1HZ, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Great evening and stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

A group of us attended the fab 'evening with Adele' last Friday and all of us had a wonderful time, nice welcome, good food served hot (never easy for a large group) and the amazing Amy Baker entertaining us. The room was clean, comfortable and breakfast the next morning just what you would want, again a group of us proved no problem and were accommodated together.
All the staff we meet were polite, smiling and able to answer any questions. Looking forward to the next time!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you so much Janet K!

We have had some great feeedback from our Adele tribute night! I was thrilled to read you also stayed over in your group and enjoyed the rest of the hotel!

I hope to see you at some more of our events.

Siobhan Thomasson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
sandhurst, berkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We booked a table for Sunday lunch with my in laws, husband and two children (8&6). The food was so tasty, I had the roast beef, but also had some of my husbands pork belly. Best food I have tasted for sometime. We also had desserts all at a cost of £9.99 for two courses and £14.99 for three. Service was also brilliant, very attentive staff and also very helpful. We will definitely be going back for food.

• Stayed September 2013
Wow! Thank you so much SuzannaP for a great review!

I do think we offer great value for money with Sunday lunch and so pleased you enjoyed it!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Booked to stay at the Holiday Inn near Winchester with slight trepidation having heard some not such great things - we were very mistaken!

Welcomed by a very friendly receptionist who answered our various questions with ease about location of the wedding we were attending locally.

Comfortable room, very clean, perfect for what we needed (a place to crash after a family wedding!).

An okay breakfast the next morning - staff quite rushed, and standard buffet options. Would have been nice to have bread rolls/slightly nicer bread for toasting.

For the price we paid, we thought it was excellent!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Vv83,

I was concerned to see your comments, regarding your trepidation about joining us, however delighted to see how much you enjoyed your stay!

Many Thanks

England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Stayed here on business on 26th September '13 (room 264)

Very modern hotel about three miles outside of Winchester.

Positives:

- Excellent staff - polite, friendly and professional
- Convenient parking
- Well appointed bathrooms with a large bath with shower over
- Good quality food in the bar

Negatives:

- Did not receive my early morning call, despite booking it early evening and then checking again at around 11pm that it was set up, as I had a very important meeting to attend in Winchester the following day - unforgivable in a business class hotel!

- The toilet only flushed intermittently. On reporting this to reception at check-out, another customer overheard and commented that she had stayed at the hotel several times previously and that every room she had stayed in had been the same, including the one from her previous night's stay. In her words, she was "sick of reporting it". Again unforgivable, if this is a known problem that is not rectified.

- The hotel is very modern and whilst I usually enjoy staying in modern hotels, I found this particular one to be soul-less and devoid of any character whatsoever.

- The cooked breakfast looked very unappetising, in the way it was presented.

- No free wi-fi

- Too far from Winchester, to be classed as a hotel serving that area (in my opinion)

Summary:

If on business, I would only stay here again, if there was no availability in comparable hotels in the Winchester area.

If I was traveling with my family on a recreational visit to the area, I would avoid.

Room Tip: Only a low-rise hotel and generally quiet, so would probably make no difference.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear John 1664

Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Winchester. I wanted to personally thank you for the positive comments you have made about the hotel. I am very proud to have such a friendly team here at the hotel and I am glad that they made you feel welcome. I am also pleased that you were impressed with our parking, good quality bathrooms and bar food. Free car parking is a huge perk that our hotel offers and this is due to the fact that we are based 2.4 miles from Winchester City Centre. It also means that many guests choose to leave their car at the hotel and jump on the local bus for the 5 minute journey into Winchester - stress free and environmentally friendly!

With regard to your other comments i would like to apologise for the problem you experienced with your wake up call. This is now being investigated with the company who manage our telephone system and will be rectified immediately. With regard to the toilet flushes we are aware that on occasion there are problems and our Maintenance Manager is working to address these with one of our suppliers however it is not a problem that can be fixed overnight.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the presentation of breakfast. The hot items served at breakfast are presented in dishes to help the food retain its heat. I will check with the breakfast team to ensure that they are being regularly topped up and kept fresh. Finally with regard to wifi - we offer all hotel guests 30 minutes free of charge. After this there is a charge, however our gold and platinum loyalty members (members of the IHG rewards scheme) do receive 24 hours wifi free of charge.

John I am disappointed that you found the hotel soul-less and devoid of character. We are a modern, light and contemporary building with decor to match and our guests normally like the feeling of spaciousness that the hotel offers.

We take all feedback very seriously so thank you for your time and I hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.
Guernsey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I booked this hotel for 2 nights as I was coming over from Guernsey to accompany my daughter who was taking my granddaughter who was starting at university in Winchester. I booked the cheapest rate that I could, which included breakfast for "one or 2 people in a room". So, by booking 2 rooms, we only had 3 breakfasts. Which I maybe I wouldn't have minded so much had the food been good. It was very poor.

As we were tired on the night we arrived, we really did not want to drive the 3 or 4 miles into the city to eat. The restaurant menu was both uninspiring and expensive, so we ate in the bar, which was no better really. They charged £3.40 for a black coffee, which we thought was far too expensive.
This is not a 4 star hotel, but they are trading on the fact that there is nowhere else to eat in the area. This hotel is not near to anything. If a Premier Travel Inn were too open nearby, they would loose business, as this is not a 4 star hotel.
We only chose to stay here as the hotels in the city were full by the time our granddaughter got her exam results and knew where she would be studying, but we certainly would not choose to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Heathergy

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your experience however our rates are very competitive with all other local hotels. If you book a breakfast inclusive rate, the rate includes breakfast for either one guest or two, so if a couple are staying in a room they both can have breakfast.

Our menu is usually well received so I am sorry that did not live up to your expectations.

Regards

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

After a close family funeral I had to find somewhere to stay with my son to stay in the area overnight at short notice to see family from LA. This hotel charged me £159 for a twin room as I was informed, the Southampton boat show was on. One can't order funeral dates.

At least I hoped the stay would be okay. It was and it wasn't. The disappointments were no free wifi - at least my iPad and iphone5 could not get the 30 free mins the General Manager has stated on tripadvisor that there is, but there we are! The breakfast was average with tasteless sausages and the worst tasting coffee in years I've experienced. I didn't drink much of it. The apple juice was good though. At least also there was a shoe polisher, and the decor was stylish.

Having been to many hotels over the years this was one l left feeling that at half the price I would have given it another star or two. Disappointed after a sad day.....

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Andy X,

I was very sorry to read that you were in the area attending a funeral, it is such a difficult time for all.

I am quite alarmed to read your comments regarding wi-fi as we have a standard 30 mins comp code which everyone gets. Did you not receive this at all, or it just didn’t work?? If you have time could you let me know as I would like to investigate, info@hiwinchester.co.uk

Our sausages at breakfast are award winning sausages made locally, however as you have raised the issue, with our Head Chef, I will investigate if we can find anything better in the market place.

Thank you again for your review Andy X

Regards

Dubai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Stayed 3 nights from Friday 13th. Did not notice until arrival back in (overseas) home location that my reservation had been for £128.00 / night inclusive of breakfast however I had been charged £140, £160 & £135 / night instead. £51.00 over charge which due to international call rates means it is not cost effective to chase up.
Restaurant is good, had 2 good meals there, Elizabeth is attentive and knows the menu well, sadly the hotel also caters for coach trips which does make breakfast a more crowded affair than I would prefer. Wireless coverage is poor in-room which is not expected with todays technology

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
siobhanthomasson009, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winchester, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear JustinDubai,

Thank you for your comments, especially regarding one of our team members, who I have passed on your lovely comments to.

I am very sorry that you have what appears an inaccurate bill. I do appreciate international calls are expensive so could I ask you to perhaps email me at info@hiwinchester.co.uk the name of your booking, your dates etc. so I can investigate this further. If we have made an genuine error, I apologise now and would like to rectify the situation immediately.

Thank you again for getting in touch and I look forward to hearing from you.

Siobhan Thomasson

Been to Holiday Inn Winchester? Share your experiences!