“Nice and Quirky” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
coventry
“Nice and Quirky”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Been on a few occasions now and really enjoyed each visit. good quality beer and nice Sunday lunch with various live music. Nice and cosy in winter and the owner was very helpful when asking about specific beers etc. looking forward to visiting again soon,

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

78% Recommend
Hythe, United Kingdom
“Great beer, shame about the staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I want to like the Platform Tavern. It's in a useful location; decor in the original bar is thoughtful; the beers can be great; the food is ok and the music can be good.

It's just, well, I just never feel welcome there. The bar staff make me feel like I'm just not good enough for their pub. Like they expect hip and trendy young folk, and when I waddle in they roll their eyes and think 'what's this old git doing here?'

But don't let that put you off. Maybe I've been unlucky, and frankly a slightly chilly welcome is something I can put up with if the beer is this good. Just don't expect a friendly welcome.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Pembroke Pines, Florida
“Nice atmosphere, friendly staff, OK food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

It was my first time there and I was there around 5 pm, there were not many guests inside. The girl and the guy working there were very friendly and welcoming. Ordered local draft beer and burger with chips, the food was OK, beer was cold and fresh. Everything went smooth and I ended up sitting and drinking there longer than anticipated. I find this tavern to be very good, not sure how is the ambiance and service later in the evening.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Great food, nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We visited on a Sunday lunchtime and the food was lovely. It is on the expensive side, £10.95 for roast beef, £13.95 for lamb shank, but it was really, really nice and gave generous portions. The service was good and although the food took quite a while to arrive, we weren't in a hurry so it didn't matter, especially as there was live jazz to listen to. The puddings were huge and a bargain at only £2 each. I would definitely visit again.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Jaw-dropping...for all the wrong reasons...you just don't call customers that...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Right, OK, where to start...well I'll start by saying I used to work close to this pub and had eaten and drank in there many times with no complaints so having had such a poor experience there last night has made me wonder what on earth has happened to this place?

I'm appealing to you, owners of The Platform Tavern, to put things right. I don't often write reviews and I'm a pretty easily pleased sort of girl but I feel compelled to offer the following:

1. If you struggle with large bookings, don't do them. Accepting them and then putting a third of the group on a separate table at the other side of the room will never be much of a winner.

2. For Christ's sake get your staff some training in customer services (more on this later. See points 5 & 6).

3. When you have only two vegetarian mains on your menu, make sure you have enough of them. There's little more miserable experience than the vegetarians having to decide who'd be the lucky 'winner' of the one remaining spinach and ricotta cannelloni. The other option was nachos but without the meat chilli, which if we're honest is a snack/starter. Veggie chilli is dead easy and freezes well so this to me is just plain lazy.

4. Have a vegan option. How hard would it be to have a simple pasta dish in a tomato sauce? Or a curry and rice? It's not difficult to feed a vegan and you don't have wildly deviate from your menu. Come on, the vegans will thank you for it. They're a loyal bunch when treated well.

5. When a pregnant woman asks a reasonable question as to the contents of a pie, for God's sake (and I can't believe I'm having to point this out) just answer her. No catches, no cons, it really is that easy. Don't expect her to be OK with the sarcastic suggestion of going to a 'vegetarian cafe up the road'.

6. If one of your waiting staff asks if the party would like to pay all together or separately be aware that this gives at least the illusion of choice. I know that when people choose to pay separately it can be a right faff (I've been a waitress) but there are never any circumstances when it's considered reasonable that when choosing the latter that customers should be called and I quote: "B@$?@%!s". Yes, I know, I could hardly believe it either. You don't even have to dig out a copy of Debrett's 'New Guide to Etiquette and Modern Manners' to know that this is not on...ever. (I did type what the waitress called us but Trip Advisor's filters will not accept 'profanity'...hey, if a machine can't accept it, neither will I!)

A couple of members of our party had a word with the manager and to be fair he was polite and apologised but it shouldn't get that bad in the first place.

In terms of the food it was OK but to be honest we just wanted to get out of there.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere