“The Best Penang in Hampshire” 4 of 5 stars

Sara's Thai Restaurant
273 Portswood Road, Southampton SO17 2LD, England
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Portsmouth
“The Best Penang in Hampshire”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Recently visited this branch after the other Sara's in Waterlooville closed down some time ago. I was informed that Sara had left the business a couple of years ago but the same crew were still working this branch. I am pleased to say the food is absolutely as I remember it, excellent! It was head and shoulders the best Thai around Portsmouth/Waterlooville. Now I frequent Southampton more often I will be sure to swing by more often. I am pleased the same staff and chefs are keeping this superb restaurant going. Highly, highly recommended.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Southampton, United Kingdom
“Nice..... no Spice”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I hate giving bad reviews. But this is constructive criticism of a potentially nice restaurant. Recently we had a meal at sara's with friends;-

The food tasted good ;- Bigger portions needed.

The service was slow ;- Please offer drinks as soon as a customer arrives. we waited 20 mins.

The service was wrong;- Our order went to another table and was then retreived and put in front of us after someone else had prodded it around. NO NO NO.

Get the food to the table at the same time;- I waited 15mins to start my (now cold) meal, waiting for my friends orders to arrive at the table, annoying.!

I wanted Coffee and Dessert ;- Plates were cleared and... We were forgotten, whilst the staff chatted. The moment had gone by the time we asked for service. I shouldnt have to ask !.

AND Dont empty my beer into my glass every 5 mins;- Its not wine- I left it in there to keep cold. Dont do this and try to sell me another beer. P*** off please... I mean that gently..cos thats how I felt at the time, its very annoying. Dont treat the customer as an incapable idiot. There are times to serve and times not to. get the orders and other service right first.

All this being said, I know that the staff tried very hard to please us and they were lovely, happy people. But the management needs to get organised. They have the makings of a very good spot to dine if they sort the niggles.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
theCrews, Management Team at Sara's Thai Restaurant, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Hello JCbikerMC1
Thank you for your reviews and we are sorry that we can't pleased you with;
-; a portions size of your meal -- the size of each dishes are different but we can guarantee the quality of the meat we use. However we still believe that our portion size is a good size to compare with other Thai restaurant in the area and some in London.
-; a slow service -- average timing of taking drinks from the customers is at 5 mins after customers are ready at their seat. This depends on how busy we are and it is more likely to giving you a slow service on a busy day and if we have a new staff in training. We do not approach the customers when they seem to not ready to be asked for the service, especially when they are in a big group because sometime they are busy chatting themself. This is a challenge to our waiting staff wether being giving a good service or being giving customers an awkwardness.
-; a wrong serving -- we understand this is unexceptable and this should not happen. It would be kind of you to have told us to have a new dish. We more happy to fix it for you on the day. However, we will have a close look on this matter and call a training for our waiting staff.
-; a delay of food arriving -- due to our small kitchen, to serve a group more than 6 people to have their meal at the same time is difficult, to be honest. But we are trying our best to improve on this matter.
-; a long wait for other service -- we do apologise to keep you wait long to call for desert or coffee.
-; a "too much caring" on keep checking/pouring the drink for you -- we are sorry if this is not satisfy you. We doing this not because we have the intention of trying to sell you more drinks but we want to make sure you are happy with your drinks and have enough.

This restaurant has been running for 8 years. This is small place offering you a genuien taste of Thai food. All the time we try to create a friendly service and asmosphere. As some visitors have a good intention to try to change us to go "big" in management system, more professional way of giving the service. Please allow us to have a say that we appreciate all fair comments and reviews from all customers and make it clear that we are always happy to hear your say and fix our mistake on the day of your visit. Our aims is to be a friendly local restaurant and giving you a friendly service and friendly asmosphere that we can share and talk like friends. Remember if you don't like your drink being pour of of the bottle just because you want it keep cold, please tell us before you left. Because we won't know until you leave the reviews about it and we can't do anything else for you.
Hedge End, United Kingdom
“the starters are mindblowingly good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The main courses for 3 of the four of us were only OK.

Birthday celebration for me and my son. We had quite a build up, because me and my partner had eaten at Sara's before and loved it. Our boys had never eaten Thai before.

The starters were as billed, Di had fabulous fishcakes, me and Finn had soup to die for and Zak had the best spare ribs he'd ever eaten.

Mains - Di's Weeping Tiger was not weeping - they couldn't get the brandy to light. It also wasn't sizzling...it was a bit of a disappointment from the spectacle expected and it only tasted OK. My ginger chicken was as good as I';d expect from my local chinese.

Finn's amazing fishfood bonanza was 'wierd' which in Finn's language meant 'I won't be having that again' and that isn't because he was trying something unexpected - he's tried alot in his time, from obscure offal to insects and oysters and is open to enjoying anything if it tastes nice, so this wasn't to do with being a first time Thai experience. Zak enjoyed his Duck Tamarind though.

I would go every day for their soup and starters...you know when things are so good everyone wanted everyone else to have a taste? The mains were disappointing.

Might go back...since it seems to be the only Thai place in town to visit...maybe this was just a bad night, but as I type this I probably won't, even typing this a week later i feel kind of flat about the whole experience.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
theCrews, Manager at Sara's Thai Restaurant, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Hello adriangarside
Thank you for your review. And we are sorry that our mains didn't wow you while all starter did!
Again, we are sorry to hear that our "weird" fish food bonanza that you called (and I think it was Haw Mok Seafood) can not satisfy your son more than a taste of an insect! We believe that the liking of the food is depends on individual taste.
We have been serving Thai food on this road for 8 years. We cook how it suppose to be and how we eat it. However,we are not the only Thai restaurant in town. You have Mango, Lelawadee and The King and I to try out. We highly recommend Mango for you to go to. The food at this place might suit your son's style more than ours.
Moreover, we thanks you again for being kind enough to tell us everything was nice when our waiting staff went to check with you if everything was ok.
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Tasty Thai”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Lovely flavours, all the dishes we shared were individual and had some really Asian flavours - lemongrass, ginger etc Service was friendly and helpful - giving us some guidance on new dishes.

Visited February 2013
Southampton, United Kingdom
“best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

it deserves its reputation as the best Thai restaurant in the City. Its menu ranges way beyond the standard Thai eatery, offering bold, authentic Thai flavors. i go there with my 2 kids all the time.
my children love their Noodles- noodles are a long-time favorite.But don't stop there. The menu is huge and the prices reasonable

• Visited February 2013