“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 23 hotels in Southampton
Northampton
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

This was a highly priced room and so I expected good things. The disappointments were several
1. Sloppy front desk on arrival - non- professional
2. Dark and oppressive decoration for the hotel.
3. I ordered a wake up call and a newpaper at check in- neither arrived.
4. Breakfast - sloppy and unprofessional service - two attendants were more interested in chatting to each other - slouching on sign in podium.
5. This Hotel has a training and management problem - and a gloomy atmosphere.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, September 15, 2010
Dear Member
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I was sorry to read you felt your stay was disapointing for which I sincereley apologise. Please be assured I will be addressing your points with my team to include some refresher training where necessary. I hope you will return to the hotel in the future.

718 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Oulu, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

We spent only a night here, but we enjoyed it very much. The hotel room and bathroom seemed recently renovated and were both quite spacious. There was a nice complementary tea service in the room with a selection of teas and coffee. The reception staff were very friendly and courteous and not only let us store our bags after checkout, but called a cab for us to reach the train station. The only complaint is that I wish we could have stayed a few days longer. We were very satisfied with both the hotel and the price, which was very reasonable. I would definitely recommend this hotel to those staying in Southampton. It was in a very good location, down the street from the main shopping district (perhaps 10 min walk).

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, September 8, 2010
Dear Member
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and would recommend the hotels to others. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

I recently stayed in Southampton (first visit) at the Mercure hotel (The Dolphin) with my boyfriend because we visited Southampton for his birthday. The hotel was lovely; a historic building which has clearly had a lot of refurbishment. Although it is very modern in it's design; it has still kept the buidlings character and charm. I was very impressed with the furnishings and design as a lot of hotels/B&B's can be quite old fashioned!
It is excellent value for money; especially as the location is in the town. It is a short walk away from "Oxford Street" (lots of restaurants) ,the shops and Ocean Village.
Breakfast was a choice between continental or full english in a relaxed atmosphere.
The staff were friendly and looked smart. The bedroom was quite warm, but there was a fan provided which we used. I was also pleased to find a hairdryer as I had forgotton mine! The only problem I had was the seagulls waking me up, but I don't think that is an issue here!
Overall I would recommend this hotel, very pleasent and clean, in a good location!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, September 7, 2010
Dear Member
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I was really pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay with us. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next visit to Southampton.
Usk, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

Lovely old coaching inn, sympathetically modernised. Good parking facilities with easy access. Friendly and helpful staff - our ground floor room flooded in a torrential downpour and we were immediately upgraded to a suite with no fuss or additional charge. Clean and comfortable rooms with all mod cons including satellite TV. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, September 6, 2010
Dear Member
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay. Apologies for the problem due to the terrential rain I would like to assure you this has now been addressed. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming your back on your next visit to Southampton
kind regards
Leicester, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

We booked the cruise package which included dinner, bed & breakfast, port transfers by taxi and 15 days car parking.

When we arrived we asked for a downstairs room and we were given the only one left which was a disabled room at the front of the hotel, we were a little worried as previous reviewers have said that these were noisy, we didn't have to worry as the noise outside wasn't particularly noticable, (we did expect some noise as we were in a city centre hotel).

The restaurant is very easy on the eye, modern and well decorated, the staff are very gracious and attentive and the food was surprisingly good in fact the food was fantastic, I had a fillet steak to die for! The starter and dessert were both very very good.
The wine list was pretty decent too.

Breakfast was buffet style and very average which was a bit of a dissappointment considering how good the food was at dinner.

The bar area is lovely and cosy and the drinks are well priced.

The room and bathroom were large although I think this had more to do with the fact it was a disabled room, we had a fan in the room which we used as it was a little warm and it kept the room at a perfectly good temperature.

The bed and pillows were very comfortable.

When we booked this hotel we recommended it to our neighbours and they booked the same package, they also really enjoyed their stay.

I really have to wonder if the negative reviewers stayed at the same hotel as we did, because from check in to check out the staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly and if we need an hotel in Southampton again we will definately be back here.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, September 3, 2010
Dear Member
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us. I will ensure your feedback gets communicated to the team. I hope we have the pleasure on welcoming you back on your next visit to Southampton
Wiltshire, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

We stayed here at the end of July due to its proximity to both the town and the docks. The hotel is basically at the end of the high street, so couldn't be any closer and the docks are an easy 10/15 minute walk.

The reception staff were superb, polite and efficient, in particular Alice, so full marks there. We had a room overlooking the cobbled alleyway which was fine. A small amount of noise from the street during the late evening, but nothing too onerous. The room was hot, but cooled down with opening the windows and we didnt need to use the on-site fan.

It was all spotless and the bed was large and comfortable. Breakfast was included in the deal and was of good quality and as much as one wanted.

We enjoyed our stay and would stop again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, August 30, 2010
Dear Member
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay. I will pass your feedback onto the team and in particular Alice. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

Stayed at this hotel before our recent cruise and came away with mixed feelings. We have listed the pros and cons and hope they are useful:

Good points:
1: The best point about the hotel by far was the restaurant and it's staff - the evening meal was one of the best we have had in a long time and breakfast was relaxed and very, very good. Well done to all concerned - we had a lovely evening meal and great relaxing start to our holiday.
2: The bedroom though small was very modern, very clean and as we had requested a room at the back very quiet and we had an excellent night's sleep. The bathroom was fine - can't see any problems. The new posh sinks are great we couldn't find anywhere to put the soap ! Sounds daft but a very minor practical thing for the Manager to try out !
3: We had been worried about the location of the hotel having read some reviews but were very pleased with where the hotel is situated! We had expected something like Soho but we were really pleased to find ourselves a 5 minute walk from the main shopping area. The area looks like it is being given a 'face lift' and I am sure that things will improve. There was a bar opposite and a busy road infront of the hotel but to be honest we quite enjoyed people watching ! It isn't as bad as people make out though I can imagine that on a hot night with windows open it would be very noisy. We didn't feel uncomfortable in the area at all.
4: The cruise package was very good value - we paid £165 for our stay which included room, Half board, parking for 2 weeks and transport to and from the port. This worked well. Our car was perfectly safe.
5: The historical character of the hotel - it is really special.
6: The young trainee on Reception who did her best to help us on her first day and the friendly bar staff / restaurant service

Things that need improving:

1: Reception - our whole experience was coloured by our 'welcome' or lack of it. We had had a terrible journey of nearly 6 hours and when we phoned to ask for directions whoever was on the desk couldn't direct us to the hotel ----

2: Reception - when we arrived there was confusion about our room - we had originally booked an upgrade room for our stay. When we arrived and saw the rate charged we questioned that we had been given a standard room. The person on Reception was very abrupt and basically told us that they "don't do upgrade rooms". We knew this to be untrue but hadn't the energy to challenge it. We had contacted the hotel a week prior to our stay to ask for a room at the back and could only guess that we had been moved to the rear of the hotel but not told that this was not an upgrade room -- and yet they DO do upgrade rooms and have an e-mail to prove it. We let it be and accepted the room ---- though annoyed by the tone of the receptionist. We feel that we should have been told that a move to the rear of the hotel would affect the standard of room - though to be fair we did not pay the extra and the room was very nice.

3: Reception again - a lovely young trainee greeted us and was trying to help us. When given our room we had no idea where to go and asked her where our room was. She asked her colleague (as she had no idea) who just replied "On the 2nd floor". That was it -------- thankfully, the trainee, on seeing our stunned look showed us where the lift was, though apologising that she was new and had no idea where the room was after that. Anyone who knows this hotel knows how difficult it is to find rooms and when you have lots of very heavy suitcases it does help if you have some idea where you are going.

4: Reception - on checking out we checked with the same receptionist (the experienced one) about where we left our luggage. We had seen luggage left in the foyer which was near an open door and were concerned about leaving it. We were told via the web site that luggage is left in a secure room and the receptionist told us that it "would be moved".
We returned from a walk in to town 2 hours later and the luggage was still there ----

To sum up - the Reception team we dealt with need some training - they can make or break a hotel and the lady we met was certainly not someone that I would like to be training a new member of staff. First impressions mean a lot - especially after a stressful journey. Thankfully the other parts of the hotel detailed above made up for the short comings of some members of the Reception Team.

Would we return - if we cruise from Southampton again we may be tempted to go for a hotel with a view of the port BUT would not dismiss another visit because of all of the many,many positive elements of the hotel and hope that areas we have raised are addressed.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, August 28, 2010
Dear Member
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I would like to assure you your comments will be discussed at length with my team in order to address the areas we need to improve and also to say well done and thank you for the areas we exceeded your expectations. I hope you will choose to stay with us on your next visit to Southampton.
kind regards
Neil Brailsford

Been to Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin? Share your experiences!