Okay so I have stayed in many hotels across the country and whilst most of these have been 5 star I wasnt going with high expectations but I was totally unimpressed! First of all I couldnt find my way to the hotel car park and ended up parking in the street opposite, which actually worked out quite well as it turned out to be cheaper than the hotels car park which they charge you for! So first of all if you go I would park in the street opposite in the blue banded area, if you aim to get there after 4pm you only pay for 2 hours then it is free until 8am in the next day!
Check in was quite pleasant, although I was pointed to the lift and never really confirmed as to what floor and the actual destination of my room! No word of what was on offer for evening meal and where we could get this either.
Our room was on the first floor, 107 and was extremely hot, the heating wasnt on and opening the window fully didnt really help the situation. They had put in a camp bed for my daughter, I wouldnt of let her sleep on it for fear of her having an accident, it wasnt safe by any means and she ended up sleeping in the double bed with me and using the camp bed for her teddy bears!
The room was okay, bed was comfy, fresh linen and tea and coffee available. Another grumble though £12 for Internet! Are they having a laugh! I was paying £89 a night! The TV.....well the channels were all over the place! Not a good reception at all really.
Breakfast though was good, good selection and my wee girl enjoyed it. However at night we fel forced to go outside of the hotel to look for food, one night ending up in the local Weatherspoon and the second night at Burger King!
I cant fault the location, the hotel however I feel have a few standards which have slipped somewhat. I didnt feel it was a safe location and not very family friendly.
I dont think they can justify the £89 a night rate they ask, would I stay again? Probably not!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel is a stunning Grade II listed 4 star hotel located in the heart of Southampton - offering a modern and contemporary feel, while maintaining its traditional appeal. Perfectly located to explore the historic old town and walls, extensive shopping centre within walking distance and the perfect place to stay before and after your cruise with park and cruise packages available.Free Wifi available throughout the hotel.Privilege rooms now available. On site car parking available however there is a charge for this service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, EasyToBook, ACCOR, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel Southampton
- Southampton Dolphin Hotel