“Wasnt overally impressed!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Wirral
“Wasnt overally impressed!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Okay so I have stayed in many hotels across the country and whilst most of these have been 5 star I wasnt going with high expectations but I was totally unimpressed! First of all I couldnt find my way to the hotel car park and ended up parking in the street opposite, which actually worked out quite well as it turned out to be cheaper than the hotels car park which they charge you for! So first of all if you go I would park in the street opposite in the blue banded area, if you aim to get there after 4pm you only pay for 2 hours then it is free until 8am in the next day!

Check in was quite pleasant, although I was pointed to the lift and never really confirmed as to what floor and the actual destination of my room! No word of what was on offer for evening meal and where we could get this either.

Our room was on the first floor, 107 and was extremely hot, the heating wasnt on and opening the window fully didnt really help the situation. They had put in a camp bed for my daughter, I wouldnt of let her sleep on it for fear of her having an accident, it wasnt safe by any means and she ended up sleeping in the double bed with me and using the camp bed for her teddy bears!

The room was okay, bed was comfy, fresh linen and tea and coffee available. Another grumble though £12 for Internet! Are they having a laugh! I was paying £89 a night! The TV.....well the channels were all over the place! Not a good reception at all really.

Breakfast though was good, good selection and my wee girl enjoyed it. However at night we fel forced to go outside of the hotel to look for food, one night ending up in the local Weatherspoon and the second night at Burger King!

I cant fault the location, the hotel however I feel have a few standards which have slipped somewhat. I didnt feel it was a safe location and not very family friendly.

I dont think they can justify the £89 a night rate they ask, would I stay again? Probably not!

Room Tip: Ask for something around the back of the hotel...and a fan!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us.

These points will be discussed with my team to help us improve the quality of service and facilities we offer our guests.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel in the future.

Neil Brailsford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights sun / mon after taking daughter to university.double room at back of hotel was good value clean and nicely furnished.large car park and polite efficient staff. Breakfast a little over priced at £10 but otherwise a lovely hotel and in a perfect location for the city centre .one word of warning as next door to club would suggest not a good idea having room at front of hotel fri sat sun

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Dear Guest

Really aprecaite all your feedback and will ensure your kind words are communciated to the team.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

Spent three nights at the Mercure Southampton, whilst on business there. Very good welcome upon my arrival. Breakfasts were excellent, with an excellent buffet selection along with a good selection from the menu. Rooms were very clean. Bathrooms were slightly dated but still very clean. Entertainment in the bar was very good on one of the evenings. Would recommend anyone who needs a good business hotel to stay at the Dolphin Mercure Southampton Centre.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I was delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and found the breakfast to be good quality.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Gosport, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Arrived here for a good nights sleep after a gig..
Outer hotel is a little dated, but it's better that way!
Reception was wonderful, very decorative with art on the walls and very comfortable furniture! The receptionist was very welcoming with the other to look after our bags whilst we wait for the check in time, (we were early!)
It had a nice, safe elevator which could only fit 3-4 people inside at best. The stairs were nice and wide.
We asked for a double bed but didn't get one so we just squeezed 2 twins together, but that wasn't a problem as the beds were comfy!
The television was very nice and big with a huge variety of channels available.
This is the best bit! - This hotel has a bath and the bath was fantastic, it was a big bath! The complimentary soap and shampoo were great too, they left us smelling fresh & fruity!
Tea and coffee were available in the room with a kettle and tea/coffee sachets already placed in the room (with more available on request).
We had no trouble with any noise, neither did we have any trouble with the room/hotel.

I highly recommend this hotel for couples on my experience!

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor and that was great!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us here at The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I was very pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and made good use of our facilities.

We hope to welcome you back soon

Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

I was on a weekend away for the boat show with the wife, and was taken by surprise with the good standard of service, the brilliant location, and very comfortable night's sleep that was received at this hotel.

The entrance hall is very welcoming, however it is a tad of a maze to find your room. The rooms are clean with a good supply of amenities. The bathroom provides an amazing waterfall shower, however could do with slight modernising or thorough cleaning of limescale-ridden tiling.

All in all you can't really go wrong if you're just looking for a good night's sleep in a good location.

• Stayed October 2011
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us here at The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and found the team to provide good service.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back perhaps for the the Southampton Boat Show in 2013?

York, Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

This place is okay but,
Rooms at the front lots of noise
Rooms very hot
No gym or pool - unlike most hotels

The breakfast was good, the staff were very friendly and helpful as well.
I would stay again but only if neccassary

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Guest

Really appreciate your feedback and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

What a lovely hotel with bags of character. But beware. My room was on the front - the sun had been shining in it all afternoon so as soon as I entered it was really hot. No air conditioning. The window was open and due to the fact that my room (307) was directly above the bus stop and the hotel is situated on a busy part of the road so I needed to close the window. On my way out for the evening I asked the reception if they could provide a fan. On my return they had put a fan in my room and turned it on, so it was a lot better and the sun had gone so I opened my window. Not such a good idea as there is a late bar opposite!! The breakfast was really good in a really nice dining room with very efficient staff.

Room Tip: Preferably not a room on the front.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Dear Guest

I appreciate your contructive feedback and was pleased to read the staff addressed your concerns.

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcomig you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Neil Brailsford

Been to Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin? Share your experiences!