“Fantastic!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Medbar La Penthouse

Medbar La Penthouse
50 Oxford Street, Southampton SO14 3DP, England (Formerly Medbar & Kitchen)
+44 23 8023 1555
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Medbar La Penthouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #173 of 638 Restaurants in Southampton
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Fantastic!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Me and my friends decided to try out this restaurant on a Wednesday night and it was great. As soon as we walked in through the door the lovely waitress welcomed us and seated us at our table. Me and one of my friends had a seafood Paella and my other 2 friends had a Seafood Kebab and a Chicken Souvlaki. It tasted really fresh especially the fish. Compared to the other restaurants on the road like Oxford Brasserie, you can really tell a difference between the two. We also received a complimentary starter as we sat down which we thought was a great idea (something different). The service was really good, the manager kept checking if we were ok with everything, he made us feel like we was at home. Il definantly be back again and I do recommend this place to everyone. It's great to have a change on Oxford Street!

Winchester, England
“Delicious dishes, smart location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

We visited on a Tuesday evening, using a Groupon voucher covering two courses and a glass of wine. The glasses of French white wine were a full 175ml measure and tasted fine. My wife chose whitebait as her starter; I chose grilled tiger prawns in a chilli sauce. Both of these were well presented and tasted great. The waitress brought a black pepper grinder on request. For the main course my wife chose a Persian Salad containing chicken, grapes and avocado. She was very happy with the dish. I chose chicken souvlaki (many thinly cut pieces of chicken packed tightly on skewers) served with a well dressed mediterranean salad and french fries. This was an exceptional dish. The chicken had been delightfully marinated and tasted authentically mediterranean, reminiscent of a Greek holiday meal. The chips were crisp on the outside, fluffy on the inside and very hot. Excellent! I enjoyed the dish a lot. We ended with two coffees, made from a proper machine, and these were good too. As we were leaving, the manager opened the door for us and I asked him if the chicken had been marinated in yoghurt. 'In many things!' he replied with a smile. I find it hard to understand some of the previous reviews that spoke unfavourably of the chef's efforts in this restaurant. We were very happy with everything that was served to us. The service was very pleasant too.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Amazing head chef !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

It was so good. The food was great, the atmospher and service was exelent. After dinner we asked for the chef to say thank you to him for the delicious food.
Ps. He was nice for the chef to come out because you dont get that in many places. He is too young to cook like this !

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Great Food - Pleasantly Suprised.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Found it by chance as we where on our way to Pizza Express and noticed it on the other side of the road. Glad we went inside as the service was first class and the food was excellent. I had Chicken breast with rice and it was superb, my wife had the Seafood kebab which was also very good.

Cooked to perfection and will definitely return.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Disappointing at best...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Just returned from a night out here for a friend's birthday. Restaurant was chosen based on previous good reviews, but these seemed completely unfounded...
Night started poorly when we were informed that the advertised Happy Hour of "5pm to 8pm" didn't actually start until 6:30, resulting in us taking our custom to a different bar for over an hour and a half. (which when the bar is totally empty, seems like very poor business acumen). When we returned for food things didn't improve. The cocktails were some of the worst we've ever had: both the bello is and margaritas were almost undrinkable and the food was over-priced, poor quality and in one case the seafood was raw. The staff did not care when these issues were raised, so I would advise against this restaurant, especially when there are so many other (much better) ones on the same street.

• Visited November 2013