“Lovely Sunday lunch "Family Roast Style"” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: International
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Lovely Sunday lunch "Family Roast Style"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Took my family for sunday lunch for my daughters 18th birthday. Opted for the family roast for all of us where they bring the meat, pots, veg etc in bowls to your table and you help yourself. Really enjoyed the meal. My starter of mussels in cream wine sauce was particularly good and tasty.
Attentive service and felt well looked after. Drinks are a bit steep here, but not unexpected and at least served well. Also had a crooner on singing for lunch which was a nice touch.
Will definitely return, lovely afternoon.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Southampton, UK
“The demise of Colin the Lobster”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My friend had booked us in on Friday evening to celebrate a couple of Birthdays and a significant event in her life.
The first thing I was aware of as we sat down was the noise. Unfortunately, because of the high ceilings the accoustics were VERY LOUD to say the least. I did not enjoy that I spent the whole evening shouting and repeating myself to my friends, which I might have understood if I had been on one of the huge tables, but was as far from the bar as possible and on a table of 5.
If you are looking for an intimate or romantic evening, you will find it hard to whisper sweet nothings at this venue.
It is however popular as the bar area was full, so perhaps its more a party venue.
The service was good, although a little too attentive as 'everything ok with your meal' was spoken at least 8 times by 4 different people over the course of the two courses.
The food was well presented and hot, and the wine glasses refilled often, but I have come away feeling a bit shortchanged, and this is why.
I ordered half a lobster, and was looking forward to my £17.95 treat with much anticipation.
What arrived was about a quarter of a lobster, and a small one at that. Probably the smallest allowed to be legally landed. It was also completely missing its claw arm, and therefore all the meat within. Now if you have eaten lobster, as I have been lucky enough to do on about 5 ocassions in my life, you will know that a large proportion of a lobsters meat is in its appendage, and with 5 segments of very small scallop sized pieces in its tail and the sliver along its spine I feel I probably ate one of the most expensive lobsters in the country as I have calculated my 7 mouthfulls to have come in at £2.50 a morsel.
Where was the rest of my half lobster? I feel that their menu is most misleading as it clearly states half a lobster and I clearly did not get it!!!!
I couldnt complain as I would have spoilt my friends evening and I value their friendship far more than my food, but I have been left feeling bitterly dissapointed with my experience
Grande Cafe need a menu rewrite, to a 'part lobster' or they need to increase the size of the lobster and include all its edible parts, and not rob the meat for the lobster linguine that my friend ordered.
In summary, the venue is loud, and you are shortchanged on your food, but the staff are lovely, and it does look elegant

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Out standing service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Booked for my wedding anniversary, could not fought any thing food excellent staff very attentive nothing so much trouble.
Really enjoyed the singer created a fabulous atmosphere.
Will defiantly be returning soon.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Delicious :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Visited for the first time, outstanding atmosphere with very friendly and helpful staff. Such a pleasure to go to a restaurant where someone is happy to take the time to advise you on which wine to choose. Delicious food, no delay even though there were big parties and you definitely got more than your money's worth. I've already recommended Grand Cafe to all my friends, very impressed!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Good taste was defiantly off the menu!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

This was an absolutely terrible night out. I'd been trying to get a table for ages and finally booked for my 29th birthday.

This venue is very much a party place with four hen parties on the night we visited.

The restaurant was dirty with stains on the carpet and black chandeliers that were white with dust. We were also sat about 4 inches from the table next to us and the staggered layout meant I was eye to eye with the guy on the table next to us.

I wish I'd visited the toilets before we ordered food as we would have just left without eating. Someone had designed a toilet seat cover out of loo roll that had obviously been there some time. Part of it had slipped into the toilet. On closer inspection, we discovered the toilet check sheet hadn't been signed since 7PM on Wednesday (we visited at 7.30 on the Saturday!).

The service was inconsistent depending on which member of staff you caught as they walked past. They might come back, they might not.

The food was okay but defiantly of a "high turnout" standard.

It was so light and loud that there was no atmosphere at all.

However, the grey ceiling really was a lovely shade. Probably not nice enough to tempt us back, but it was a good choice.

• Visited May 2013