“An excellent choice” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Highfield House Hotel

Save Saved
You added Highfield House Hotel to your Saves list
Highfield House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   119 Highfield Lane | Portswood, Southampton SO17 1AQ, England   |
Ranked #11 of 23 hotels in Southampton
Brighton
“An excellent choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

This is an excellent hotel for the money. Our room was quiet and very clean and well equipped. We had a good breakfast the next morning - great options for a Full English all good quality and well cooked. There was also a possibility for cold cuts, cheese and hard boiled egg plus juice, coffee and toast. Oh - and fruit salad and yoghourt.
The thing that further makes this hotel is the friendly and helpful staff for whom nothing is too much trouble. We needed an earlier check-in than they offer and when I phoned ahead the receptionist could not have been more accommodating. In the event we arrived earlier than intended and when I went in to check on the situation she immediately - and magically - knew who I was and said our room was ready. She was chatty and kind and took the slight stress out of our tight timetable.
I cannot praise this hotel too highly - and I am an experienced traveller. We would not hesitate to visit it again nor to recommend it to anyone looking for a good value experience in central Southampton.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

257 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

Had a one night stay which was £10 cheaper than the Premier Inn for a family of 4 with breakfast - very good value.

Old hotel with rooms fairly recently refurbished, and our room was very clean. The service, from initial email contact and all through our stay, was excellent. Staff couldn't have been more helpful and were great with two small excited children, bringing two large glasses of milk up to our room for them as soon as we arrived (no charge).

Breakfast was a really good buffet with excellent range, including good quality sausages and bacon. There were plenty of staff keeping everything replenished and clearing tables efficiently.

Its not a luxury hotel but for the price it was really comfortable and with a far better breakfast than in the chains. Will definitely use it again if in the area.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

total value for money!... a super breakfast!.... wonderful staff nothing was too much trouble.... clean room.. fresh bedding and towels etc ...close to restaurants and shops...theres plenty of parking at this hotel we shall defo be booking in the future!!!! thanks for a lovely stay!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Gt Missenden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

It's OK - professional staff at reception, good welcome, clear explanations etc. Room and bed were small, however, it was clean and bed was fresh smelling and comfortable. Desk chair was heavily stained ... ugh. Bathroom seemed clean but sealant around bath was grey / mouldy in places and there was a hole behind the shower controls. It was a thermostatic power shower that held its temperature well.

So generally clean ... but ... it's just so very tired and dated. Definitely in need of a refurb.

Breakfast was a buffet ... it was OK ... everything was hot, but bacon was rather dry and hard. Coffee came from a self-serve machine - average. Staff were pleasant and attentive, clearing plates, keeping everything clean etc. Even saw a chef checking temp of the various hot dishes which I've never seen before (was it precautionary or have they had a problem?).

So, overall it was clean but dull and uninspiring. Would I stay there again? well, it was conveniently located for us as we had a family 'occasion' at the nearby church ... so in similar circumstances I would stay there again. But other than that I wouldn't go out of my way to visit again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

I really wanted to like this hotel more than I do, as it's not one of the big chains and the people who work here are very good at their jobs.

I was given a very friendly welcome on arrival, including local eating options. I requested a quieter room as I'd read about some rooms being noisy.

I was put in a room in the older part of the hotel with an assurance that it was one of the quieter ones. Unfortunately there were too many bangs and crashes, doors slamming (causing my room to actually shake) and creaky floor boards for me to agree that this was a quiet room. The icing on the cake was being able to hear one of my neighbours snoring. Ugh. My sleep was disrupted significantly and we all know the consequences of sleep deprivation...!

The room itself was quite small but very clean and everything seemed to work, including the built in trouser press/iron which looked like it had been attached to the wall for a great many years. Toiletries were sparse but I never rely on them for my ablutions when travelling anyway, so no biggie. TV only had 4 channels. The bed was a smallish double but comfortable. Bed linen was average quality.

Breakfast was as good as others reviewing this hotel have already stated.

The speed of the complimentary wifi was variable, being average to poor, but I really like that it didn't cost extra.

Complimentary parking at the hotel is a bonus.

Unfortunately, due to the problems I experienced with poor soundproofing, I won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: My room on the first floor of the older part of the hotel was very noisy.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

Clean fresh rooms and an amazing breakfast! Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Nyon, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

After the misery and shabbiness of most English hotels, I was delighted to find Highfield House. The reception was extremely friendly and at the same time professional. We were given a room under the roof, which after a few minutes we found uncomfortably hot, so I asked to be changed. We were immediately given a lower level room, with apologies and a complimentary bottle of wine and box of After-Eight mints. Now that's service with even more than a smile. The room was clean and functional: everything worked, and the only jib I could find is that there is no fridge.
Free parking and free internet (but why isn't it free everywhere? It doesn't cost them anything after all...), and the best English breakfast I have ever had. The chief receptionist told us that "people come from far away for our breakfast", and I can understand why. The fried eggs were fresh as daisies, not lying in oil for hours; the sausages were the most delicious I have had; the bacon was perfectly eatable (although I don't think much of English non-streaky bacon); the coffee was incomparably good, and since you help yourself from an infernal, yet wonderful machine, there is no wait for it.
The only downside was our meal at Highfield's "associated" establishment, which was one of several the receptionist recommended to us. This was the Highfield Pub, situated half a mile up the road from the hotel. Although they give a discount of 20% to the hotel guests, I have rarely been in such a sad, decrepit place, with an equally sad meal. But that should be the subject of a separate review.
All in all Highfield House was a pleasant surprise, and we shall certainly be staying there again.

Room Tip: Romms under the roof tend to overheat in the summer. Rooms on the front tend to be noisy from the ro...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Highfield House Hotel? Share your experiences!