“The night before....” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Saxmundham, United Kingdom
“The night before....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

WE have stayed here five times before cruising from Southampton. The hotel is in a great position for the port and the cruise terminal. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the price per night is good value. You do need to book a table for evenings as it is very popular.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea facing room they are great views
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
rwalker2014, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear Guest. I am delighted that you chose to stay here at the Holiday Inn Southampton once again prior to your cruise. The packages offered are great value as we do aim to provide competitive rates for everyone. It is fantastic to read the team here look after you and it helps mark a great start to your cruise holiday. I hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you once again.
Robert Walker - Cluster General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Polish first
Gurgaon, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

The hotel is a good budget hotel for people travelling business for short stays. The rooms are not very big, so it could get a little stuffy if you plan to stay there with family. The staff is friendly and the breakfast is nice in a very sunny restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the Cruise Terminal and you may get to see the occasional Cruise ship in port.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest. Thank you for your comments posted from the recent stay at the hotel. I will feedback to the relevant team members who will be delighted that they helped make your stay comfortable.
I hope you will return when on business again.
Kind regards. Robert Walker Cluster General Manager
Dunwoody, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Great location. Restaurant better than most Holiday Inn hotels. Has Indian cuisine and British fare. Included breakfast has great variety. Walking distance to mall. Rooms are well appointed. Old part of town nearby.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
rwalker2014, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Guest, I am delighted to read that your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Southampton met with your expectation and that you enjoyed the terrific shopping mall close to the hotel. I hope that should you be in the area again you will choose to stay here.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

Took a Reward Night at the Holiday Inn on a Wednesday, as I was Visiting Queen Mary 2 for a tour and lunch on the Thursday. Hotel is in a Great Location for Ship lovers as the rear of the building overlooks the Mayfair and City Cruise Terminal, and from the front you can see ships at the Ocean and QEII Terminals. Check In was great, and the Lady on the desk was polite and helpful, acknowledging it was a reward night, and accommodating my request for a room over looking the Mayfair Terminal. Room was clean and comfortable, not as modern as some people seem to want theses days, but no different than most Hotels I have been to that are not a Travel or Premier. Left my bags in the room and made the most of the beautiful day, walked to the Main West Quay Shopping Centre for a late afternoon meal and the ASDA for some supplies, both are within a few minutes walk from the Hotel. Returned to my room to freshen up before walking to the nearby entertainment complex to catch a movie. Had a Drink at the Bar, which was quite and was served quickly and politely, before retiring for the night. After a Great nights sleep, awoke and opened the curtains in time to see QM2 sailing up to the City Terminal, Left to take some pictures of the Ship from Mayfair Park, which is almost outside the building. Then I decided to take breakfast in the hotel restaurant which was £16+ and the Full English was superb, right up until I took a mouthful of cold Black Pudding, thinking I had made a mistake of leaving my favourite breakfast item to last, I went up a took a new piece, this was also cold. I told the helpful wait staff, who promptly removed the Black Pudding from the Buffet, but the experience had left me feeling Physiologically queasy, (although it did not cause any actual illness) due to not knowing if it was under cooked or just not put under the heat lamps properly and took the shine of a fantastic breakfast . Returned to my room to gather my belongings and went to check out and pay for the Breakfast, where the Gentleman behind the desk also tried to Bill me for the Room, until I pointed out that it was a reward night, (something that the lady from the day before seem to know so why he didn't I can not say).

Over all a Good stay with attentive staff, acceptable rooms and probably one of the best locations for Cruisers and Ship enthusiasts. I am returning to the Holiday Inn again in May on a Part Reward Part Pay night this time, but will may choice to go elsewhere for Breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest, Thank you for your comments. Our hotel is committed to providing our guests with the highest level of services and facilities, which we fell short on this occasion. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure that your expectations are met in the future. I hope that on your return visit in May you choose to take breakfast at the hotel where you will see that the issue you experienced on your last stay is not a true reflection ad is an isolated case.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

We booked to stay at this hotel with our 2 year old daughter for 2 nights whilst we attended a local theme park, I rang ahead a few weeks before and asked for a cot to be put in the room and arrived at find it there which never seems to happen to us! when checking in the receptionist gave our daughter a colouring park which she loved! Then my husband had the reception staff up the wall asking for irons! He had 3 separate ones sent up declaring they wernt working when eventually kris the man working on reception said he could send them to the dry cleaners for him and we could collect them the next day, all for free! Ice and drinks were delivered to the room within minutes of ordering, on the second day their was a problem with the key card getting in to peoples rooms, kris came to help us get in and even got us a free drink to apologise for the inconvenience which really wasn't an issue! The hotel was clean, the staff were helpful and friendly, right next to the port so ideal if going on a cruise, the staff advised us on nice places to eat and even booked a table for us, finally when returning home wr had a letter apologising for the key card issue (which wasn't really an issue) excellent hotel, great staff, special mention to kris who was more than helpful, would defiantly recommend x

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest, Our hotel is committed to providing our guests with the highest level of services and facilities We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests. Kris, who is one of the hotel's newest team members will be delighted to get a 'thank you' from a guest. I appreciate your comments and am pleased that the team ensured that your stay met with your satisfaction.
I hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn again in the future.
Bexley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

My sister and I have just returned from a very relaxing weekend at this great hotel. We received a very warm welcome from Andy and his colleague when we checked in. Our room was very clean and comfortable, and having a choice of soft or firm pillows was just brilliant. We dined in the restaurant on both evenings, and thoroughly enjoyed our meals (thank you Chef), the staff were very attentive and friendly and made sure we had everything we needed. Breakfast was amazing, such a fantastic choice of food and well worth experiencing. We were looked after by Ruth and Mellie on both mornings, and again, made to feel very welcome. I will definitely be returning here in the Summer, along with my Grandchildren, to take advantage of the special package they have here to visit Peppa Pig World. Thank you once again to all the staff at Southampton Central, and I look forward to seeing you all again soon.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your excellent review of our hotel The team here, especially Mel, Ruth & Andy will be thrilled to hear that they helped make your weekend fabulous.
Hopefully should you be in the area, whether visiting Peppa Pig or shopping at Wets Quay ou will choose to stay here at The Holiday Inn again.
Camberley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Just arrived back from lovely wknd in Southampton and right from arrival we were greeted warmly by reception staff and having arrived about midday we were given a room straight away which was a bonus as we were able to get ourselves organised before heading out, we had room 909 on the 9th floor which had lovely views overlooking the docks, room was spacious and clean and I can honestly say the shower was the best ive ever come across in a hotel and the towels are lovely soft and thick, breakfast was superb and you get the added bonus of use of swimming pool and gym. Parking is £7 per day which I think is fairly reasonable, we parked the car on arrival and didn't use it again till departure as all shopping etc is withing walking distance of hotel. I would not have any hesitation using this hotel again if going to Southampton.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
rwalker2014, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for your kind comments about your recent stay here at the hotel. Your feedback to myself and team is vital as it helps ensure we continue to deliver a great service to all of our guests. I hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you to the hotel again in the future.
Robert Walker

Been to Holiday Inn Southampton? Share your experiences!