“Good place, but good value?” 4 of 5 stars

NOVOTEL SPRING OFFER
Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
GreenLeadersBronze level
USA
“Good place, but good value?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

I stayed at the Novotel Southampton for two nights, 2-4 Jan 2010, before embarking on a transatlantic crossing to New York on the Queen Victoria.

I got a really good deal, but even still, I thought that the Novotel was a good place to stay. Clean room, clean bathroom, clean lobby.

My biggest complaint is that Internet is £10 per 24h. Although it also includes other technologies in the television package, I'd much rather have been able to buy WiFi a la carte -- or just have it free.

The bathtub in my room was very high, which was noticed the most coming out of the tub. With just a towel rail to hold on to, and a long step, I would NOT recommend this hotel for those with mobility issues.

Breakfast was a good typical buffet, though not sure if it's worth the £13.50 it normally costs.

Overall, I felt the Novotel was worth it for the price I paid. Had I paid full price, I'm not sure if I'd have been quite as satisfied.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

We stayed at the Novotel Southampton for 9 nights over Christmas. Overall, it's a nice hotel - the reception, bar and restaurant area all look to have been recently refurbished, and were always clean. Reception area has an iMac for guest use, free for 20 mins.
The breakfast that came with our room was fine - the dining room has a buffet of the usual breakfast foods, cereals, fruit, hot breakfast, muffins etc. Room service dinner however, was HORRIBLE. The steak was inedible - it tasted like it had been cooked in burnt cheese. The rest of the dinner while edible, was definitely not worth the price we paid. I would highly recommend NOT eating at the hotel, except for breakfast. There is a TGI Fridays next door, which sadly, is much better.
The rooms were nice enough - clean and comfortable. However we could hear toilets flushing all around us, and when the family above us partied until two in the morning, it took 2 complaints and 2 hours to get staff to ask the to be quiet.
Internet is pricey, but if you pay 10 quid for 24 hours, you get a good range of recent blockbuster films available on the tv. Parking is also expensive, at 3 pound per night. I would give this place an extra half star on top of my rating.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Bendigo, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

Another comfortable stay at a Novotel. When travelling with children, it really is hard to do better than the Novotels.
We didn't tell the children there was a pool, but there is! Room comfortable, with sufficient space 2+2. The children slept on the double sofa bed - which is actually 2 full sized, rather comfortable single beds.
Shower curtain arrangement a bid awkward, and anyone with balance difficulties may find it hard to step in and out without assistance.
We ate dinner in the restaurant, lovely food and good service. They even have some cubicles for single dinners with television sets.
Plenty of parking space available, if staying in the hotel it is a minimal charge. Fast food restaurants, Tesco home, and Toys r Us are in the same area. Very convenient to the docks.
Buffet breakfast very nice, but nothing exceptional. Would stay again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Oak View, CA, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

We stayed here one night prior to a cruise and were very pleased with the hotel. The staff was friendly and helped with our luggage when no carts were available. There is a computer terminal available for free for email/internet. We had the breakfast included in our room rate and really enjoyed the meal. There was plenty of cereals, eggs, bacon, sausage, cold cuts, breads,pastries, fruit and different juices. Coffee, tea also.
Our room was small but clean. The bathroom appears to have been remodeled very recently. It was spotless. There was a small amount of re-modeling ongoing, but it did not affect our stay.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Barry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2009

i have stayed in the novotel at the begininning of december. I have stayed before on several ocassions for shopping trips! The lobby. leisure center and reception area just got newly refurbished and its really clean, modern and lovely. The reception staff was equiped with lagguage scales and also offered to check us in online for our flights! To put it in a nut shell i could not have asked for more that i got offered from the staff in Novotel Southampton everything was perfect

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2009

Hello,
writing reviews is not a thing I do often.
That's why I am more than happy to share my experience of stay with future guests of yours.
I was truly delighted with high standard of front desk service, excellent food quality, room maintenance and drink bar offer. What's more, during my short stay, there was some redecoration works on, but it was easy to spot, that hotel staff does everything to provide the highest possible standard of service. All the potential inconvenience that might have bothered the visitors were minimized by friendly and supportive staff.
I must admit that my stay there was pleasant and comfortable, therefore next time I am be in Southampton, I won't hesitate to choose your hotel again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2009

the hotel was just refurbished, it looks amazing, spacious, modern furniture, everything is great, the restaurant as well, we had lovely meal. I had stayed at this hotel before and when I entered the hotel I couldnt believe my eyes. I thought I came to another hotel.
I would recommend this hotel 100%. excellent location , few minutes to city centre

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Novotel Southampton? Share your experiences!