“4 stars - don't make me laugh!” 1 of 5 stars

NOVOTEL SPRING OFFER
Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
GreenLeadersBronze level
South Shields, United Kingdom
“4 stars - don't make me laugh!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We have just returned from a weekend in Southampton where we had the misfortune to stay at the Novotel. No way on earth is that a four star hotel! The toilet in our room took almost 5 minutes between flushes to fill not good when her s a family in the room that includes a teenager there was 18 inches of space between the bed and the wall which meant. You had to either take turns walking past the bed or roll over the bed to get to the other side! We stayed Friday and Saturday night - when we went to bed on Saturday the beds hadn't been made properly I had to remake them to ensure that the sheets were flat. At breakfast on Saturday morning I requested a poached egg instead of fried or scrambled - after waiting over 10 minutes I got a totally inedible vinegar soaked offering! We were so disappointed with the quality of the hotel and the food we skipped breakfast this morning and ate elsewhere . Also on check in we were not offered morning papers neither were we informed where or what time breakfast was served. We went in the pool to relax after our journey to find the sauna had been turned off (this was at 8.30pm and the pool area is open until 10pm) also the changing rooms were cold. I may certainly would not return to the Novotel in a hurry. I have stayed in cheaper hotels than this and received much better service!

Room Tip: Don't waste your money here go to another hotel!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Glenn_Findlay, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and contacting me directly regarding your recent stay with us. I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay at Novotel Southampton. Our Sauna is activated by a switch near to the entrance; this does take 15 minutes to come to temperature and my apologies that our team did not inform you of this when you went to use these facilities. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating the matter and will reply to you directly.
Glenn Findlay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Polish first
Faro, Portugal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

When I was looking for a nice place to stay for a quick visit to Southampton, I stumbled over the very nicely presented images of the hotel. It looked so modern and avant-garde. But careful: pictures are a great marketing tool! The lobby is indeed modern and quite pretty, but the rooms are very tiny, the bathrooms are wet cells and the beds have cheap squeaky mattresses.
Although the staff was very friendly and welcoming, the overall experience is none I would want to repeat.

Stayed October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I have noted your comments regarding our pictures; I can assure you they are of this hotel. Our Mattresses are memory foam mattresses on a wooden and Metal Frame, my apologies if you did not find this to your expectations and I do hope this you will consider staying with us should you return to Southampton.
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I just spent one night at Novotel Southampton during a short trip to the city.

As I've come to expect from the Novotel brand, the hotel was clean and modern. Check-in was a breeze and all the staff I encountered were helpful and pleasant.

My room had everything I needed for an overnight stay. Bed was very comfy. The only thing I would mention is that the temperature inside the room got quite hot throughout the later part of the evening, and I then turned down the thermostat (although I was unsure it had much of an effect.) Later on I slept well enough so not a major issue all things considered.

I had dinner at the bar as a treat, and the food was lovely. Steak cooked just as I liked it and the starter of squid was very tasty. Breakfast the next morning had the usual continental/cooked options. Again staff were attentive and cleared plates etc. from the table as I'd finished with them.

The location of the hotel was a big plus for me - close to West Quay, IKEA and the harbour, which were all things I had on my itinerary to visit.

Overall I had a pleasant stay and, if I can get a good deal, may stay again next time I'm in Southampton in a couple of months' time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourself at Novotel Southampton. We do hope we can be a part of your next stay at Novotel Southampton when you return.
malaga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stopped here for a night before embarking on a cruise.

The hotel is superb, the rooms are lovely and the bed was deliciously comfortable. The bathroom was very well equipped and spotless although, as usual, the mirror was a little far away from the front of the the basin top and the lighting not very conducive for makeup application.

The buffet breakfast was excellent, varied and delicous. Unfortunately we had eaten dinner at home before checking in so could not experience their interesting dinner menu.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Novotel Southampton. We have noted your comment regarding the Bathroom Mirror and Lighting and we look forward to your next visit. Kind Regards
Felixstowe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights a couple of weeks ago.

Room had everything I needed, including a fridge. Tv channels are a bit limited, and forget trying to connect your own DVD/Media player.

Bed was a super comfy memory foam type, so I got a good nights sleep the first night.
Despite turning the thermostat right down, the room was too warm the second night?

Room was quiet too, despite being near the main road.

Breakfast was excellent & tea was the proper strength.

I don't eat in hotels because its too expensive, so you've got the option of McDonald's or a TGi Fridays next it. TGi is fine and food good. You could eat at the Ikea restaurant, which is a short walk.

Its only 5 mins walk from West Quay shopping centre and a load of other outlets

Apart from the hot room, the only other grip I have is no free WiFi

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Novotel in Southampton and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Set in the middle of a retail park, opposite the docks and beside one of the main ring roads and your heart at first sinks. But once inside it's a joy to stay here. Spacious foyer, friendly staff and everything is very quiet. This is great place to relax and escape the bustle of outside. Room well equipped and the bathroom, like all Novotel bathrooms, is wonderful. Beds comfortable and we slept well. There was one small problem with our room (no one's fault) which was dealt with quickly. I was travelling with my family - staff were very family orientated , free children's gift on arrival was a nice touch. The only negatives were the lack of free WIFI (so many hotels give it you free these days), the cost of the breakfasts (useful tip: go to IKEA across the road) and the size of the leisure centre which had a very small swimming pool (too small for such a large hotel) and titchy changing rooms. But on the whole this was an enjoyable stay and we'd be happy to return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Many thanks for your review here on tripadvisor. We are glad you and your family enjoyed your stay, I have noted you comments regarding our Wifi, Breakfast price and leisure centre. We are all looking forward to seeing you again in the future.
Glenn Findlay

Been to Novotel Southampton? Share your experiences!