“Great staff & great value & great breakfast” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Southampton

Save Saved
You added Hilton Southampton to your Saves list
Hilton Southampton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bracken Place | Chilworth, Southampton SO16 3RB, England   |
Special Offer
Save up to 20% off
Ranked #20 of 23 hotels in Southampton
Sewell, New Jersey
“Great staff & great value & great breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My husband and I and another couple stayed here. We arrived by a van transfer from Heathrow. We were catching a cruise out of the Southampton Port the next day. The staff is outstanding and tribute to the Hilton organization. The room and bathroom were very clean and the service was excellent. We were on the same level as the check in desk and faced the entrance to the hotel. It was very quiet. Taxi service was very prompt. The breakfast was absolutely delicious with a great variety, well attended and with great service. Only have great things to say about this hotel. However, the Hilton needs to spend some funds to update it. They have a par excellence staff and should make some investment in refurbishing this very nice hotel. It could be "excellent" if it was updated.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SouthamptonTrip, General Manager at Hilton Southampton, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very kind feedback regarding your stay and our staff here at Hilton Southampton, I will be sure to share your comments with our team.

In regards to your comments about out decor, I am pleased to assure you that we have plans in place to refurbish our hotel in 2013 with our third floor being the first to see improvements.

Thank you once again for your comments regarding your stay, such feedback is important to us and I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

767 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

My husbands employers booked accomodation and an event here for long service awards dinner. We were warmly welcomed, our room was available on arrival which was a surprise as we'd been told it would not be ready. the staff are very friendly and welcoming and give the impression that they are there to make your stay as wonderful as possible. The banquet meal was excellent, the service was of a very good standard and the breakfast one of the best I've had.
I enjoyed it but given the company paid for it I can't comment on value for money etc.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SouthamptonTrip, General Manager at Hilton Southampton, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very kind feedback regarding your stay at the Hilton Southampton. I am pleased you enjoyed your experience with us and I will be sure to pass your comments on to to our team.

Thank you once again for your comments, I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Hotel booked months in advance so we could explore regions of New Forest (in the rain)! Ample car parking, terrain gradient means reception/entrance located on level 3 with a total of 4 levels. The bed was rather uncomfortable and we requested an additional duvet, which was kindly placed on top of mattress by housekeeping; leading us to believe this was a regular guest request!! Surprisingly noisy plumbing but at £35 per night it was tolerable - our room was on level 3 so perhaps overall level 4 would be quieter? Excellent traffice noise soundproofing as location is very close to M3 yet nil traffic heard. Easy to commute to heart of new forest, approx 30 mins to get to Beaulieu in a downpour!

Room Tip: Opt for top floor (level 4) as quieter
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Hilton Southampton, it is always a nice to hear how our guests enjoyed their visit and we do look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Warmest regards

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Booked this one on the net - it was further away from the airport than expected £13 in a taxi.

The first thing you notice about the hotel is is the entrance - the automatic barrier has seen better days and you start to fear that this may be the same for the rest of the property. (one chance to make a first impression and all that!!!!!)

Well, the reception and public area are spacious and clean. Staff are well presented and knowledgeable in fact the staff are better than average! (well done).

The hallways to the rooms match the disappointing first impression with doors needing attention
and sweet-papers and empty cans left in the lift area due to the fact there seemed to be no rubbish bin!

The room was fine comfortable bed - bathroom small and a little outdated. No power outlets (plugs) bedside which isn't great with laptops and phones to charge.

Restaurant - was OK - good young waiter!

PET HATE: free public wifi but have to pay in the room! Not great for the business traveller!!!

Overall - if staying in Southampton again I'm sure I can get better for the money!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SouthamptonTrip, General Manager at Hilton Southampton, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Hilton Southampton.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your experience with us and would like to thank you for your kind words about our staff.

I am sorry to hear of your disappointment with regards to our current décor. I would like to assure you at this point that plans are in place to refurbish our hotel in 2013.

The cost of our WiFi however is a set cost for all UK Hiltons, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience this caused. Complimentary WiFi is however available for our Gold and Diamond HHonors Members in our guest rooms.

Thank you again for your comments regarding your stay at the Hilton Southampton such feedback is important to us. I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Bushey, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

This is a clean good hotel with most facilities. Couple of down points are scored by parking problems especially on a Saturday night. Expect to have to drive round a lot. Breakfast was a bit cold, food not being kept hot enough.
Its ok but please dont pay full price as its not good value at that level.Hunt around for at least 2 for 1 type deals

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
SouthamptonTrip, General Manager at Hilton Southampton, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Hilton Southampton.

I am sorry to hear of your disappointment with regards to our car park, we have recently had an extension of our car park completed to ease this problem.

In regards to your comments about your breakfast experience, please feel assured that I have passed your observations on to my Food and Beverage Manager for investigation and remedial action as appropriate. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you again for providing your comments, such feedback is important to us. I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Fleet Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed here for one night, with my son, 2 weeks ago for one night. Contrary to some of the negative reports, I found the hotel to be perfectly adequate.

The room was clean and we had an excellent nights sleep in a twin bedded room.

The staff on Reception were excellent and very welcoming. We ordered a taxi and this duly appeared on time and about 10 minutes after booking.

The location is excellent if you are travelling on somewhere although you would need a taxi to get into Southampton itself if you are not driving.

The only gripes I could find were:-

We used the bar on 2 occasions - luch & dinner - and both times I had to go and find some staff to serve behind the bar itself.

I really do not want to pay to park, particularly if the barrier is left up all the time. Thus, if a car was stolen the thief could drive away. The point of paying to park is some re-assurance of security for the vehicle!!

We would come back and stay here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
SouthamptonTrip, General Manager at Hilton Southampton, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Hilton Southampton, it is always a nice to hear how our guests enjoyed their visit.

I am sorry however to hear of your disappointment with regards to the car park charges. I would like to clarify that the implementation of this is to help us cover the cost of security in the form of; lighting, barrier maintenance and CCTV within the car park. This charge also helps to prevent outside cars from parking in our car park, ensuring that there is adequate parking for our guests.

In regards to your restaurant bar experience, please feel assured that I have passed your observations on to my Food and Beverage Manager for investigation and remedial action as appropriate. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you once again for your comments regarding your stay at the Hilton Southampton such feedback is important to us. I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

surrey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The public areas of this hotel are spacious and comfortable and the staff pleasant and helpful,
but that's where the happiness ends.
The bedrooms are dark and very dated, with no air-conditioning and the smallest, most uncomfortable double beds on earth.
Our bed was so bad it should have been disposed of on Guy Fawkes night and I would imagine the only way to get a nights sleep would be with some sort of chemical assistance.
This place is very far below the usual Hilton standard and the company seem to be content with billeting low-end cruise traffic and the odd travelling sales wretch. It's time for a major re-fit.
It should be pointed out the hotel isn't actually in the centre of town, a trip into the High Street will cost you around £12 each way by taxi.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the Grand Harbour!
Dear Guest,

At Hilton we continually aim to attain and uphold high standards of attention to detail and guest satisfaction from the very first stage of booking all the way through to a hospitable and ‘hassle-free’ stay and check out. I deeply regret that we clearly failed to meet your expectations during this Hilton Journey. Having read your comments – please be assured that I have raised the matter with my relevant Heads of Department and left them with no doubt how imperative it is that we maintain our usual high Standards.

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Hilton Southampton such feedback is important to us. I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Hotel Manager

Been to Hilton Southampton? Share your experiences!