“Rip off prices for hotel that gets worse reviews than the holiday inn nearby” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Harbour Hotel

Save Saved
You added Grand Harbour Hotel to your Saves list
Grand Harbour Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   West Quay Road, Southampton SO15 1AG, England (Formerly De Vere Grand Harbour)   |
Ranked #18 of 23 hotels in Southampton
London, United Kingdom
“Rip off prices for hotel that gets worse reviews than the holiday inn nearby”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for the boat show weekend. On the Saturday (21st) I ordered breakfast in bed. This arrived 25 minutes late and was inedible. We called room service and complained and were told they would redo the breakfast, which would have made us at least 60 mins late. Alternatively we could go to the restaurant for breakfast. We declined.

On checking out the next day I was presented with a bill for £35 for breakfast in bed for two! On reiterating my complaint, I was left waiting at reception for 45 minutes to be told by the duty manager, Ken, that since he couldn't prove whether I ate the breakfast they were not prepared to refund this charge. It seems I should have brought the breakfast tray or photographic evidence to reception if I wanted a refund!

We have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions and have been happy with the food in the evenings (although very pricey) but this hotel is 100% focused on short term gain - my bill for this weekend was in excess of £700 and the attitude of the manager has lost this hotel a customer.

• Stayed September 2013
Madhu B, Operations Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear a-j-dunlop

I am very disappointed to read your review, please accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations and for the shortfalls in service you encountered during your stay.

I have investigated the points you raised and discussed your comments with our Duty Manager who has advised me that a full refund for breakfast was deducted from your bill prior to your departure.

I do hope you will change your mind and give us the opportunity to restore your faith in the service and standards we provide at the Grand Harbour Hotel.

477 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Considering that the Grand Harbour is a high-profile and 'luxurious' hotel the lack of cleaning and maintenance is staggering. This is such a shame as the hotel has a great ambience on entry, with a beautiful atrium, fragrant fresh flowers and a luxurious feel. I can't comment on the food, however the leisure facilities are crying out for a bottle of jif and a pair of marigolds! The water cooler outside the changing rooms on the way to the pool is FILTHY, with actual MOULD floating in it. I complained three times about this, as having used the facilities with a little one this is an invitation to illness. It stayed the same. The steps down to the pool are rusty and in need of a lick of paint. The equipment in the gym is old and creaky. There is often no-one on reception. On reading othew reviews here it seems the poor maintenance continues throughout the rest of the hotel. As people have commented, needing refurbishment is one thing, but keeping old facilities clean is easy surely? The one positive I would comment on is that the Serenity Spa is good, clearly new and pleasant. Expensive, but nice.
Sort it out Grand Harbour.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Madhu B, Operations Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear hrpj

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding our Leisure Club facilities following your stay at the hotel.

As such I have made a thorough investigation into the points you raised and whilst I acknowledge your personal opinion and comments I can confirm that we do have an intense cleaning schedule in place to ensure that the cleanliness of the pool, spa and gym area is maintained to an excellent standard. With regards to the manning of the leisure reception please be assured we have recently recruited more team members which I believe will assist in this matter.

On a postive note I was delighted to read that you enjoed your time in the Spa, we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the executive suite and was horrified at how dirty and disgusting the shower cubicle was(I could not possibly use it!). The furniture and decor were very tired and in desperate need of a facelift. The hotel was ideally located for the boat show and only a short taxi drive to the restaurants on Oxford street. The staff are pleasant enough but seem understaffed ( we waited 25 minutes for our car to be brought from the valet car park despite being reassured that they would do it straight away). Room service breakfast was nice but let down by the VERY over cooked eggs.

• Stayed September 2013
Madhu B, Operations Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Donhumphrioni
Thank you for your review. I have checked personally the room you stayed and I must apologise and admit that maintenance work was overdue on the shower cubicle. Regarding the need for refresh, I can confirm the we have started a maintenance programme targeting our bathrooms prior to the full refurbishment of all our bedrooms which is due to start in the New Year, an investment of £4million is planned for the hotel which will include air-conditioning in all bedrooms plus new beds and a full refurbishment of the restaurant and bar area.

I am pleased you took advantage of our lovely location close to the docks and local amenities, as you mentioned the hotel is right at the heart of boat show and this is a very busy time which will occasionally mean it takes a little longer to complete a normally quick service. Thank you for your patience and acknowledgement of our fantastic team at the hotel, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Harbour hotel in the not too distant future.

Greensboro, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I have read many of the reviews stating that this hotel needs a refurbishing. That is so true, but a hotel can be old and still be clean. This one is NOT. The mirror was broken off, the chair arm was torn, there was mold on the shower wall. But, the most disgusting thing was when I took out the tea kettle to heat some water. It had dust on the spout. When I looked inside, there was caked-on grime. This had not been cleaned in a very long time. In addition to the room being old and dirty, there was no air conditioning and NO window. We had to prop the door to the balcony open with a chair during the night. Then, when we went down to their "fancy" dining room, as soon as I sat down for breakfast, I looked up and saw a giant spider web over the entrance door. It was yellow, as if it had been there quite some time.
Don't let the outside and the lobby fool you. This is not a nice hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Madhu B, Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Mamalyn27407
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I was disappointed to read that your recent stay did not meet your expectations, please accept my sincere apologies for any shortfall in standards and service you experienced.
Please be assured I have noted your comments and feedback and have personally discussed them with our Housekeeping Manager in order that they may be addressed immediately.
I am delighted however to let you know that we are about to start a refurbishment programme in the new year which will incorporate a full bedroom refurbishment including new beds and the installation of air-conditioning, plus our restaurant and bar area will also be fully refurbished. A total investment to the Grand Harbour Hotel of £4 million.
I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Delray Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We booked this hotel through Booking.com, and our confirmation stated "half board included." When we arrived, about 10:30 am, after flying a "red-eye" to London Heathrow, the room was not ready. We were exhausted, so sat in the lobby, sleepily for some time. Once a staff member even woke us from our stupor to tell us they were working on a room. We got the message and dragged ourselves (luggage was checked with the concierge desk) outside for a short walk to the nearby mall for a snack and coffee. There is a pricey restaurant in the hotel, but we felt the walk would do us good and save some cash as we were short on £. After getting settled in our room, a nice room overlooking the harbor, but no AC and it was 90+F that day. They had provided a fan and we were able to prop open a large window for air flow. This is Uncharacteristic weather for Southampton.
At this point it was time for dinner. I asked what was included in our booking at the front desk and was told unless we booked the "Cruise Package," dinner was not included. We ventured out. Next morning I asked again and got the same response. I did not have my booking document on hand regarding half-board, but it should have been noted on our booking and the staff should have checked. I am still trying to get a partial refund from this hotel, but they have not responded to my online request after over a month.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor, overlooking the harbor, as opposed to overlooking the city. The pi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Grand Harbour Hotel right opposite Southampton Boat Show so great location
Bit pricey for a 4 star but good rooms with decent size beds. Understand it's about to be refurbished - does need a bit of updating
Had two evening meals at the hotel one from the Season Menu and one form the A La. Carte. Both excellent and reasonably priced as was the wineWould be happy to stay here again but would need to save up

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear slt504221

Thank you for your review and positive feedback, I was delighted you enjoyed both dining experiences at the hotel and I will of course forward your comments on to our Kitchen Brigade and Food & Beverage Team.

As you mentioned we are due to undergo a refurbishment in the New Year when all bedrooms will be refurbished and air-conditioning installed in all bedrooms along with new beds. Our Number 5 restaurant and Royal Bar are also to be fully refurbished, so very exciting times ahead for the hotel.

I am pleased you would be happy to return to the Grand Harbour hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Berrow
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Booked this hotel last year as a De Vere hotel we have used this Hotel many time for pre cruise.
We booked a £165 deluxe room with harbour balcony view.
This room was disgusting not even basic cleaning
Could not see out of the balcony window as it had blow
Mould every were
Cigarette buts on balcony
Moss mould on balcony
Fridge Still have previous customers food in it
Stained bedding
Floors had not been vacuumed
£10 to park car it has been £5 all the times before
Contacted them they didn't even bother to respond
Disgraceful Dirty hotel

Room Tip: Don't go if you think it is De vere they have sold to a French company
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Harbour Hotel? Share your experiences!