“Lovely. Not well located but really nice. Staff are great” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Harbour Hotel

You added Grand Harbour Hotel to your Saves list
Grand Harbour Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   West Quay Road, Southampton SO15 1AG, England (Formerly De Vere Grand Harbour)   |
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely. Not well located but really nice. Staff are great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Lovely hotel just on the outskirts of Southampton but easy walking distance to most of the city. Three Casino's nearby, and taxis make life so much easier in the winter. Main problem is that the hotel has huge glass windows and in January everywhere seemed very very cold. One of the staff told us that the hotel is up for sale so that may explain why everywhere is just slightly run down? Howeer the staff were wonderful and our room was lovely. Well worth the money.

Room Tip: We had a suite. Go for it! Well worth the small extra payment!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I needed to book one night at a hotel and thought it would be nice to treat myself to a little more than the usual travelodge or premier inn. I opted for a room with 'wonderful views' (see picture of the view from my room) at a cost of £145 (breakfast included), king size bed and free wifi.

On arrival at just before 6pm I parked at the front of the hotel to see if someone from concierge was available to help me unload my belongings, there was no one available so I set about unpacking on my own and ventured to check in, I was told my room was not ready, the wait was not long but I was still disappointed as I had endured a long drive and just wanted to unload and get to my room, having been told check in was from 3pm I didn't expect to have to wait.

The staff on reception were very friendly but I felt they failed to inform me of relevant information as cheaper hotels generally do, I like to be told where breakfast is served, what time etc. On enquiring about breakfast I was told 3 different times from 3 different members of staff none of whom could agree on the actual serving times.

A little later I decided to pop into the restaurant for a drink and a bite to eat, I looked at someone else's meal and it didn't look appetising so I ventured to the bar to get a bar snack and a pint. The real ale was awful and way over-priced at £4.95 per pint, it seemed watery and flat. By now I was losing my appetite so just ordered the soup of the day, this was a bad choice. It was described as Lentil soup but did not taste like lentils and was full of salt, it was accompanied by 2 not very fresh bread rolls. The staff were very friendly and the pianist was good but the rest of the dining experience was truly awful.

So back to the room to find the mattress clearly needed replacing, the table and chairs are positioned to make it nearly impossible to access the balcony, the cleanliness of the room was not good; dirt on bath sills, under sink and rust pipe fittings and everything looked dated.

I resorted to the free wifi in the hope of rescuing the evening but it was so slow it made using the internet almost impossible.

Breakfast was not much better, poor quality food, most of it cold and it looked like it had been sat on the heating plate since the day before.

On exiting my room, I found my bill with many of my personal details had been left on the floor outside my room, I was not happy.

By now I was really looking forward to check out but was told this could take up to 40 minutes due to the huge queue of people waiting to check out and disputing their bills. Luckily one member of the staff took it upon herself to go through the queue arranging express check outs for those of us who were eager to depart.

To summarise I was absolutely gutted at the whole stay, my £145 treat was a complete waste of money and I have experienced far better at cheaper establishments. I do not recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

A party of 6 ladies away for spa weekend for my friends 50th, was bit worried after booking this trip as some the the recent reviews were a bit alarming! Well to put things right the hotel & staff deserve a true review! We arrived early and was greeted with a smile and was able to leave our luggage with concearge,on returning to hotel at 3pm (which is check in time) our rooms were ready, pleasantly surprised by very clean spacious rooms, used the spa facilities, (all clean and in working order) had a lovely meal in no5 restaurant with very attentive staff, after a good nights sleep, breakfast was delicious! We then had our spa treatments, again very attentive pleasent staff, Can't fault our visit, and was true value for money! Well done!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
newmarket
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The hotel was ok. The staff were excellent. Just 2 disappointments. The self service breakfast was fairly bland and there were long checkout queues at peak periods. I felt the car parking was fairly expensive at £10 per day.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Portsmouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here for our anniversary and picked up on of the De Vere deals. The rooms were excellent, they provided ice buckets in your room and service was outstanding. The meal in the restaurant was excellent. A cold weekend so did feel slightly chilly in the restaurant but we were seated next to the heated vents.

Spa was out of action on the weekend we visited.
only a short walk to West Quay shopping centre, great locations

Southampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I was very pleased with this hotel. All the service we received was excellent. We got a great Winter promotion deal on our room (£109 D,B &B kingsize bed with waterviews), and when I emailed to inquire about dress code (I only asked due to a comment I read on here--there is no dress code) and whether we could supplement our dinner I received a quick, polite and very helpful reply. When we arrived at dinner the women who replied to my email (I'm guessing the restaurant manager) she sought us out to say hello, and was most welcoming. Especially knowing it was a surprise for my husband she made us feel extra special THANK YOU Maricel!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We have wanted to stay at this hotel for a long time ,having stayed and got married years ago in the grand hotel ,brighton.We have also stayed through the years at various other de vere hotels,and found them being of a good standard.Sadly, we were very dissappionted.We arrived at 5.30 pm on sat evening,to be told that our room wasnt ready and that they didnt know exactly how long it would take as they had been very busy !My husband showed his displeasure and was then told ,that in 15 mins we would be called from the bar when the room was ready.The free drink we where offered by reception never materialized.After 50 mins my husband went back to reception to find out what was happening and was told that they had forgotten us and the room was now ready!
We had paid £290 for 2 nights in a executive king sea facing room.(agoda) up front.
Room was dirty and didnt seem like what we had booked ,so we rang down to be told that we were in the right room.Bathroom was dirty and mouldy,with mould everywhere.There was dust on all the surfuces ,lamp didnt work in our room and lots of cables laying on the floor,luckly we didnt have children as this would have been a safety risk.We tried to call down but reception was busy so we got ready as we had a dinner date in town,and went out.
Breakfast was good,with a good selection on offer ,but sadly the young lady that served us showed total lack of customer service/people skills.We were out for the rest of the day and apon our return,we had a drink in the bar,where the staff were very pleasant and made a booking to eat in the restraunt.We tried again to speak to reception about our concerns, but due to lack of staff,they were always busy and my husband gave up! Food was very good in the restraunt and the staff were very pleasant.
Monday we booked out and only then were we able to comment about dangerous cables on floor,but the poor girl was so rushed of her feet we decided not to comment about the other things as she had a queue of people.
We have put our photos to show that our comments were just.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Harbour Hotel? Share your experiences!