“Rancho's restaurant, Southampton” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“Rancho's restaurant, Southampton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

What a fantastic place. One of our favourites. We have been so many times and never had a bad meal. There is no better place in Southampton to get a fantastic steak. 5 star and then some. Thanks Ranchos.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Southampton, United Kingdom
“Gone downhill since my last visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have been to this Rancho many times since it opened and I have to say it has gone downhill since my last visit. I went there December 2012 with a friend as we wanted decent steak and in the past I remember this restaurant being worth the money. We reserved a table as it does get quite busy, and arrived about 7pm.

Unfortunately things went downhill rather fast.. It took 25 minutes for our drinks to turn up, after repeatedly asking members of staff where they were. It was a moderately busy night but not to the extent that a 25 minute delay for two drinks would be tolerated. When we finally found a member of staff willing to take our food order it took 40 minutes for the starters to arrive. We actually watched them sat on the counter for 10 minutes before one of the two waiters who were seemingly just talking to each other in corner decided to bring it over. To make matters worse, within all of 5 minutes our main course was brought over as well.

The steak was unfortunately not cooked as requested. While the rest of the food was tasty and cooked great, the steak was undercooked and the one member of staff who would actually talk to us simply said "its cooked how its cooked" and walked off.

We decided to order dessert in order to make up for the bad steak, to which we were bemused that both of the desserts were served with large soup spoons. When I finally managed to get hold of (who I believe was) the assistant manager, I asked him if cheesecake was typically served with soup spoons and he replied "the others must have been in the dishwasher" and promptly walked off.

All in all, not a great experience. I remember Rancho use to be great for food and great for service. It seems as of late they have slipped considerably.

My recommendation: If you can find another steakhouse I would go there, and only visit Rancho if you aren't too fussy about your food or the service.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Steakhouse - Doe exactly what it says on the tin.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Have been here a few times now and have enjoyed each visit as much as the last. A range of different steak house meats but with the main attraction being the steaks which are all cooked to your liking and even to you specific weight requirements! (I.e the steak weight of your choice!) Atmosphere is always lovely and staff are pleasant. Love it.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Great Steak and fine wine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have visited this branch of Rancho several times and the food has always been excellent but for one exception: the prawns. Twice they have been under par for me, possibly cooked from frozen? Every other dish that me and every member of the groups I have been with has been really good.
I once visited as part of a group of about 12+ and we were given excellent service and the food was served in good time and all together with only compliments to be heard.
I have also visited with someone who knows a lot more about wine then I ever will and chose some fantastic bottles of red to accompany each course. There use to be half price ribs on a Wednesday, worth checking if thats still on.

Visited June 2012
“Paleo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

If you like your meat cooked well and some tasty side options this seems to be the place to come to. Big group of us had a meal on a Saturday night. Selection of dishes were all good. I had chilli squid and a churrasco fillet. Both very good. Next time I am going to try the ribs which were massive and reported as excellent by members of our group. Wine list ok.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere