“Good food & service, but not all that...” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #71 of 644 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Tapas, Thai
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions
Description: The original Thai Tapas Bar. Opening in 2007, Mango has become renowned on the south coast for its great food and atmosphere. Set on the corner of Portswood road and the Bevois Valley student area, Mango's uniqueness appeals to all age groups. People often talk about the restaurant's ambience - there's nothing quite like the energy that spills out of Mango's front doors: Low lighting, candles, big windows, exotic murals and filigree dividers, great music and warm and friendly service all contribute to its success, but the food is ultimately its greatest pull...All food is freshly prepared to order, by expert, Thai chefs. Spices are specially imported from Thailand and only fresh ingredients and locally sourced meat is used, with a good selection of vegetarian dishes. Specialities from the tapas menu include the Coconut Chicken and Na's Crispy Beef, and the Thai curries and noodle dishes from the main menu are not to be missed by any account. Mango really is a little gem in Southampton, and now there's another one in the centre of Southampton's Cultural Quarter!
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Good food & service, but not all that...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We were greeted by very smiley staff, and a warm atmosphere for a blustery cold Saturday night. The waitresses were lovely, and well presented, however I think the duty manager looked a bit too casual.

The menu's were a bit beaten up, but I think I'm just being a bit picky. There was a wide selection on offer, however what irritated me was the confusion between starters and tapas. It seemed there was no starter section, but a larger offering of tapas. All were priced at £5.75, (some with a supplement of £1) so we were of the understanding that we could order a selection of them for our main courses. However, it soon became apparent that these were just glorified starters. It became quite difficult to decide what to have, as we were torn between tapas and main meals. We ended up ordering 2 tapas and one main meal. This filled us up, but I think the restaurant is missing a trick or 2 with the communication of their menu. Had there been a discount for ordering a certain amount of tapas (which their normally is in places like that) we would have been tempted to order more. And had it all been a bit clearer, we would have had more than one main course. All a bit confusing to be honest.

Otherwise, great service, very fast food, and a lovely atmosphere. Can't really fault it too much, but I'm not really in a rush to go back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Brilliant food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I ate here on the off chance it might have some decent food. I was not disappointed, it was delicious and having travelled thailand and the far east this establishment lived up to everything I expected!

“Great food but pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I really like Mango and we have eaten here quite a few times (Portswood restaurant) but it is always an expensive meal.

I like the tapas style which is quite novel for Thai food. I think my favourite dish here has to be the crispy squid- yum! And the crispy beef. The panang curry is my favourite curry dish.

I have however, experienced a decline in the level of service in my last couple of visits which is a shame. The service was a lot slower and drinks were forgotten and small stuff like that.

I do like the atmosphere at Mango Portswood though and find the fact that it is small and almost cramped actually helps with the atmosphere of the place. I would recommend trying to get seated upstairs in a 'booth' style area if there are more than 2 of you though.

Visited October 2012
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Visited the High Street Branch last night (Sat) which was packed with a buzzy atmosphere, the food was excellent, we shared a selection of Tapas with one Pad Thai main meal, which was more than enough for 2 Girls, The staff were friendly and polite, especially the Manageress (blonde hair) sorry we did not get your name, who was so welcoming. Do not take notice of the rankings on this website, a number one ranking in my book, we will be back!!

“yummy!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Mangos is a lovely restaurant i have had the pleasure of experiencing both restaurants in portswood and above bar. on all occasions i have been extremely happy with service and quality of the food.

they can always squeeze you in and are very welcoming. i have never had a bad experience so friendly and the atmosphere is buzzing i always feel looked after.the ambience is relaxed and feels as though you are on holiday. i think mangos is very stylish and trendy. a great place to go with a group of friends or a date.

the food is outstanding very yummy and you can mix and match tapas with your mains nothing is a problem.

I would definitely recommend both restaurants. This has got to be one of my favourite places to eat in southampton.