“Great Views of the Solent & Island beyond” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Great Views of the Solent & Island beyond”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We happened on The Churchillianon on our first visit by chance when we were driving across Portsdown. Since then we have visited a number of times and never been dissappointed.

“Awful experience!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

4 adults one baby, arrived at 7pm, they had run out of most drinks, orders our door pretty much straight away, waited patiently for 2 hours! And still no food, so when we went to the bar and said we are leaving, we have given up now! She said 'I will go check' she came back and said 'they are just dishing up' but then we still waited another 20mins so we didn't actually eat till 9:30!..
I wish they just have said there was a wait for food, we would have gone back another day! Making a one year old wait that long is ridiculous!.
Also 2 of us had the 'homemade' curry! Which was awful, so bland! Tasted like a weight watchers micro curry meal!
Worst experience I have ever had!
Such a shame as I had heard great things about this place.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Hard roast potatoes, rude waitress.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This place has gone down in the past few years.
Firstly, my daughter ordered an adults pasta meal which comes with garlic bread. After 10 mins the waitress comes over and informs us that they have no type of bread at all. I ask if there is none at all!! Waitress replies NO.
I ask if we can have a partial refund? The waitress then replies yes 5p!!!!!!!
At this time my daughter was using the bathroom, so I informed the waitress that I will come to the bar shortly and inform them what we would like to do. When I approached the bar I had to wait 5 mins as there was 1 person serving food and drink! THen the waitress finally comes out. I ask her if there is nothing else that they can offer. The waitress then replied "like what" I then replied"chips???" She then said ill go and ask! They did swap the bread for chips, but it would of been more professional of just offered that in the beginning than a 5p refund!!!!!!!
Once our food arrived the roast potatoes were rock hard!!!!!! Meat was dry....disgusting. we Would never go back! Nobody came over to see if our food was ok.... Nothing!!!!!!!

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Hampshire UK
“Great Views, Good Food, Service Needs Attention”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Who could doubt that the views from The Churchillian are the best on the South Coast? Food was good (if a little pricey - £9.25 for Bangers & Mash with just 2 sausages!), Mixed Grill was huge, tagliatelle carbonara was excellent. Didn't like having to go to the bar to order but that's personal choice. Appeared not to have enough staff for the numbers of tables (which were all taken + outside also), therefore tables were left with crockery/glasses etc for some 30 minutes after diners had left them. Good atmosphere. £76 for 4 (main course, drinks and 2 coffees)

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“book a table”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

lovely food, with a varied menu, but a little expensive. fabulous views high over portsmouth. large free car park. disable friendly access. book a table though, as it gets very busy. when i went, most of the tables were reserved, so only a couple free when we arrived.

• Visited June 2013