“Fantastic staff let down by average food” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #167 of 449 restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Azzurro is a popular chain of Italian restaurants across the UK serving a mixture of pasta and pizza staples together with a selection of more sophisticated dishes. This Portsmouth branch is set next to the Spinnaker Tower in the revitalised area of Gunwharf Quays, and has a relaxed, family-friendly vibe, with colouring sheets and children's menus to keep the kids entertained. It is also a splendid choice for summer functions, with the outdoor terrace offering a spectacular view overlooking the Solent. Inspired by the finest Italian recipes, Azzurro uses the freshest ingredients to create a great selection of classic Italian dishes and frequently changing specials to ensure that you can enjoy a new culinary experience with each visit. Each meal is freshly prepared on-site, meaning that you will be served good food fast, rather than just fast food. As well as stocking some truly exceptional wines from both traditional and New World regions, the bars at Azzurro also offer some of Europe's most loved beers on draught and bottled.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Fantastic staff let down by average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Based on this visit, the Portsmouth branch of Azzurro is lucky enough to have a truly fantastic group of waiting staff - everyone was smiley and helpful, with particular praise for the wonderful Karolina, who remained cheerful, friendly and patient even when my dad nearly poked her in the eye (accidentally, I hasten to add!).

I ate in Azzurro a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the food, but this time it was decidedly average, shading to not-very-good in places. My mum's spicy chicken pasta had an unbilled sour cream sauce which added an odd, and not entirely welcome, Mexican flavour to an Italian meal, while my pizza had a rather unpleasantly rubbery, chewy base: ever-helpful Karolina offered to replace it but, being hungry and not wanting to hold up my parents' meals, I stuck with it, although most the crust got left as verging on uneatable. My ice cream dessert was served on a hot plate and so was partly melted before it even got to me, the coffee was so strong that even devoted coffee drinkers like myself and my father struggled to drink it, while the accompanying milk, served in a handle-less jug, was hot enough to burn (as I learnt to my cost when I tried to pick it up).

The overall impression was of a rather sloppy, uninterested kitchen letting down the excellent front of house team, which is a great pity.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
karen m, Guest Relations Manager at Azzurro - Portsmouth, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback and the praise for our team and especially Karolina! Your comments regarding the food have been noted and are being addressed. We look forward to your return visit.

Karen

61% Recommend
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Nice views, shame about the food!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Having visited Gunwharf Quays for a shopping trip, decided to treat ourselves to an Italian lunch before taking the fastcat back across the Solent to the Isle of Wight. We were attracted by the pleasant surroundings and lovely seaviews. The waiting staff were attentive and quite charming.

We started with a selection of breads and olives which were excellent. My cranberry juice was delicious. However our main pasta dishes were truly awful. I had chosen prawns in a garlic sauce. The 'prawns' were tiny, tightly curled and chewy (clearly over cooked and/or of poor quality) - not edible, so sent back. My husband, who is diabetic and has to eat regularly, did eat his beef strips in pasta, although not particularly enjoyable.

Visited June 2013
Dear Reviewer

Please accept my apologies for any dissatisfaction when dining with us as this is certainly never our intention. I will ensure that your comments are taken on board.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great views and good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

I'll keep this one short and sweet! It's often not easy being a sole business traveller. Restaurants are often geared to couples and groups, which leads the chains to pick up the slack. After an average experience in a neighbouring restaurant last night (Coast2Coast) I followed the recommendations on TripAdvisor and ended up in Azzurro tonight.

Portsmouth is generally pretty dismal, but the views from Azzurro over the harbour on a sunny evening were lovely.

There were only two waiting staff working a busy restaurant, but despite this, service was something that some restaurants with ten times the staff (Coast2Coast for example) should aspire to. Friendly without being over familiar and attentive.

Food (though not amazing) was great, with good portions, freshly cooked and offering good value for money.

I'd recommend Azzurro if staying in the area!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear Customer

Thank you for your review - see you again soon!

karen
London
“Fantastic Everytime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I have eaten here 6-7 times with a friend and I don't live in Portsmouth. Fantastic views incredibly friendly and attentive staff and so helpful. The food is always excellent steak was lovely the three times I have had it. Pasta is lovely, I have yet to have the pizza but it looks really nice. I have visited the Waterloo and London Bridge restaurants and the food and staff have been excellent also. They have an excellent Lunch menu which I had this time on my own, pasta or pizza and soft drink, excellent value.
Please Azzuro come to Guildford.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
karen m, Guest Relations Manager at Azzurro - Portsmouth, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for a glowing review!

Kindest Regards

Karen
“Exellent food with a great view.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

My favourite place to eat in Gunwharf, lovely food, wine and service but best of all the view, a real gem.

Visited June 2013
karen m, Guest Relations Manager at Azzurro - Portsmouth, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Guest

thank you for your kind review and we look forward to seeing you again really soon.