“A lovely surprise indeed!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Abbey Lodge

You added Abbey Lodge to your Saves list
Abbey Lodge
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   30 Waverley Road | Southsea, Portsmouth PO5 2PW, England   |
Ranked #22 of 37 Portsmouth B&B and Inns
London
“A lovely surprise indeed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

After a long search on the internet for what I want in an accommodation I went for Abbey Lodge. From the moment I booked the room I promptly got a reply about some questions I had regarding the stay and the room which was a good start I might say. However, as we approached the doorbell I still had a little bit of worry of what awaits us as we enter...'coz believe it or not...you do get a little bit affected by what you read on sites like this so it's always a risk if you decide to go anyway with your own instincts. With that in mind, I tried to expect the worst but also hoping otherwise. To our surprise...from the moment we entered the reception area to being shown the room and how and where everything is...my oh my... we were impressed! The owner was very chatty and funny and told us so much about the area in minutes. He even gave us personal tips where to eat and so on. We loved the set up of the room...better than other 4-5 star hotels we stayed in. Facilities were bang on...newly renovated I would imagine... and the bed was to die for... It was hard to get out of bed after laying in such royalty... :D My aching back really benefited from it...that's for sure. We went straight out and enjoyed the sunset... the beach by the way was just down the road... also a man made lake if you turn left and keep walking in that direction...maybe another 10 minutes...Dinner was -u name it- Fish and chips...very fresh even had the skin on...which I don't usually get which was something as it was so crispy... yummmyyy! After that... stayed in the room till morning... Wi-fi was really good in the rooms too! Well the best part I would say is the special breakfast I requested the night before which came hot and fresh. The sausage was very fresh and I could probably eat a couple more as it was that nice... hehehe (blame it on the big belly) checking out was very straight forward and no fuss. I have to say if I would definitely book again next time I visit this area.

Room Tip: back rooms were good esp in the morning... bright sunlight goes straight in the room... u can stand...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

This B and B is ok for an overnight stay...certainly couldn't stay longer. I personally would go out of my way to do what I could for my guest but unfortunately the landlady doesn't and comes across rude and a little too regimental. We felt like we were naughty school kids.
The area is run down and rough all the houses and flats down that road had smashed windows or sheets acting as curtains.....felt like we had to sleep with one eye open.
Room was clean and respectable and breakfast was good.....was not allowed any extra milk to take to our room to make additional tea as we had what we were given!!!!
The shower I just found funny....a cubicle that you can't swing a cat in...I waited until I was home to shower.....thank goodness there was a sink in the room to wash.
Could hear others talking and moving around.
As I said ok if you need to get your head down for a night....if you want friendly service who go above and beyond spend your money else where.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Ok - just my opinion, but I'll share my experience for you to make up your own judgement! I booked a 'budget room' and upon arrival, the owner was friendly enough, then asked for payment (it was prebooked through a booking website) - I simply asked to 'see the room first' when his manner changed abruptly, and he refused - I said I wasnt going to pay until I'd at least had a glance at the room, and if that wasnt possible - not a problem, I would go and find another hotel - it was at this point that the owner got nasty, aggressive, and abusive, issuing threats to 'swipe my card' regardless (I dont take kindly to threats, so I left - but beware the Jekyll & Hyde manner of this guest house owner!)

Room Tip: Find somewhere else!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
AbbeyLodge, Owner at Abbey Lodge, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
We seem to be attracting a disproportionate number of credit card fraudsters who end up flaming us on Trip Advisor when they get caught out. This guest booked through Late Rooms and provided a credit card to secure the room on the understanding that payment for the room would be made on arrival.
Alarm bells started ringing when this guest stated he wanted to inspect the room first and if he didn't like it, leave without paying. He seemed quite unable to understand that he had reserved a room against his credit card and that it is quite insulting to infer that the room might not be clean and even shabby and unhygienic; I pointed out that we had been awarded three stars by the Tourist Board, a breakfast award and the top score of five by the Environmental Health Dept so it was unlikely that we were substandard in any way.
With regards to whom was being nasty, aggressive and abusive; suffice it to say that I was not the one sticking a finger in my face and shouting “I'll have you mate, I'm going to kick up such a stink you won't know what's hit you – either I get to see the room or I will write a **??** bad review on Trip Advisor” Oh well at least he is a man of his word!

After 25 years in this business we have learnt not to allow access to our rooms until full payment has been made. The usual trick is to get into the room and then find every reason under the sun to avoid paying. A favourite is that "I have to go to the cash point" or "my boss will pay" etc etc. Another common trick is to find some minor fault and then try and negotiate the room rate down.

So why are we so sure that this guy is a con man? Out of curiosity we checked out his card five minutes after he left and guess what? It was declined for insufficient funds!

So it would seem that he had no intention of paying us at all – thank heavens we insist on payment on arrival!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Getting off the train we phoned the hotel and asked how far away the hotel was from the station.. only to be sternly put in our place that 'it is not a hotel we actually run a b&b' shrugging the rudeness of this first sentence off we thought she was just a little odd. But after meeting her face to face we realised she really was rude and obnoxious. Although the majority of us were over 40 we felt like we were naughty school children in the headmasters office during the welcome talk. Our friends also booked to stay here for the night and when they arrived at noon the next day, one asked to go to the toilet after a 6 hour drive. She was very rude towards him reminding him check in wasnt while 2 oclock. Although in the end she agreed to let him use the shared toilet he paid £55 to use we were once again left feeling very akward and 'told off'.
This is a huge shame as the rooms (very small mind) were very clean and tidy. Adequate for a couple of nights stay providing you intend to go out and just use it as a place to rest your head. Breakfast was lovely and you cant knock her for that what so ever.
We had come to Portsmouth for the football and location wise it was 10 minutes ride to town and 5 to fratton park. Taxis very cheap and reliable paid no more than 5 pounds to travel to each part of Portsmouth.
In a nutshell this women needs to stay in the kitchen and leave her husband run front of house.

• Stayed April 2013
Home, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Booked in to arrive between 3pm and 9pm and when I arrived at 6pm the lying manageress had cancelled my booking and had already charged my credit card for the full amount. She lied about trying to contact me and she lied about her credit card machine not working and demanded cash. After I checked my bank statement and she refused to credit the money so I reported her to my bank for credit card fraud... The room was cold and the food was very ordinary even by English standards and the town she calls home is a dump.
Plenty of other mini hotels in the street, go somewhere else!
Don't say you weren't warned!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
AbbeyLodge, Owner at Abbey Lodge, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
We might possibly be forgiven for having a simple and robust policy in place to protect us; and most importantly our guests, from credit card fraudsters and thieves: For payment on arrival, we will guarantee a booking against a valid, authenticated card and can only accept chip and pin cards when presented.
This first-time reviewer has curiously registered on Trip Advisor as having a Home in Kansas and used an invalid credit card with an unverified Australian address to secure his reservation and subsequently registered on his arrival with a non-existent address in Switzerland. Furthermore his telephone number was invalid and uncontactable and his email was never answered.
There is no way that we could have charged his (?) credit card because all the address details supplied by him are false and he was unable to enter a correct PIN when he presented his card. Incidentally, our credit card terminal is working perfectly and promptly rejected the transaction when no PIN was entered. A copy of this absolute cancellation was given to the reviewer – so what is his problem? We have never lied to him as he asserts; rather, quite the contrary. We have since checked our Credit Card Statement and no monies have been taken at all, as one would expect!
We are very surprised that this unauthenticated review has been published as it encourages fraudsters and con-men with dodgy credit cards to publish malicious reviews from clearly dubious one-time sources in Kansas (?) or Australia(?) or Switzerland(?); please take your pick - but not their cards!
Rest assured that we process your cards with due diligence and strict scrutiny and are certified to meet the fullest requirements of the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCIDSS) which is directly regulated and tested by VISA and MasterCard (in the USA) and reviewed annually. We will gladly send you a copy of our certificate – we really must put it on our web site!
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a well-furnished, clean and comfortable establishment. That said, they do not go the extra mile. When booking I made it clear via email we had to catch the 0815 Brittany ferry to France the next day.By return email, I was told no problem--a taxi next morning at 0730 would see us there in time. However, on arrival when I asked for breakfast at 0700 I was told by the landlord it was not possible. He described breakfast as "complimentary" and that their website made clear breakfast was only served between 0800-0900 (did not see their website as used a search engine to book). To be fair, he did offer to see if his wife could make sandwiches. I have stayed in B&Bs all over the UK and this was a first. We all (two couples) thought this very poor service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Lingfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Booked Abbey Lodge via LateRooms.com and although it seemed a little pricey for a B&B (we were charged £70 per room plus an extra £20 upon check-in for breakfast), we are certainly not complaining! We were greeted very warmly and shown to our comfortable en-suite room which was very well equipped with little extras you would expect to find in a hotel rather than a B&B. Breakfast was indeed 'award winning' and definitely worth the extra!! Although we only stayed one night, we would have no hesitation in coming back for longer. By the way, no problem with parking as there is plenty of street parking around and the Abbey is very near the Kings Theatre (just round the corner). Thank you Mike and Linda, (and the young lady who waited on us at breakfast), it was indeed a pleasure to stay in your home.

Room Tip: Room 4 is probably one of the best.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Abbey Lodge? Share your experiences!