“Clean and welcoming hotel” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Malvern Rd, Portsmouth PO52NA, England   |
Ranked #6 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Petersfield
“Clean and welcoming hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I stayed one night at this little boutique hotel. The young lady at reception was very helpful and welcoming as were the staff at breakfast. I stayed in an executive double room which hosted a king size bed and small 2 seater sofa. The bathroom was quite small but adequate although if you were staying longer then having no where to unpack your toiletries might be a pain. The shower was a reasonable size but have to say the 'power shower' was a little disappointing as it was lacking in 'power'. All that aside though it was very clean and had lovely large bath sheets which were white and fluffy. All in all a lovely little hotel but watch the prices - we were lucky enough to book just the day before and got a good £30 off. A very pleasant stay in a very clean hotel (yes I did the finger dust test) and would recommend it and certainly go back.

Room Tip: We had room 2 and no complaints other than the disappointing shower
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ellie H, Manager at Florence House Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Thank you for reviewing the hotel. I am glad to hear that, apart from the shower, all was enjoyable with the stay. We are glad we passed the finger dust test - this is something we feel an absolute priority - cleanliness is a must!

many thanks and hope to see you again

All at Florence House

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Our room was tastefully furnished and comfortable, the shower cubicle could have been cleaner though. Our original room was across the road so we had to walk outside for our breakfast which wasn't very nice, also our first room was very noisy being next to the front door but we complained and they moved us the next day to a lovely room at the top of the main house - the shower cubicle in this room was also not very clean. But all in all it was a great stay and when we go to Portsmouth again we will stay at Florence House.

Room Tip: Room 6 at the top of the house was very comfortable and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I see you were upgraded on arrival to one of our Super King rooms, I am sorry this was noisy for you but glad you could then move to another Superior which suited you better. We will certainly be addressing the fact you found shower trays not up to our standards.

We do hope to see you again in the future.

Kind regards

Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in the top 5 in Portsmouth for a reason. It was clean, cosy and fairly priced. My bed was very comfortable and the room spacious and clean. I had a lovely view from my bathroom across the houses. It really could not be faulted.

Breakfast was very tasty and the staff accommodating. Unfortunately, my colleague and I had a few problems with our hire car when there (unrelated to the hotel), but the staff made a point of checking we were ok/if we needed any help.

Overall if I returned to Portsmouth I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your review, we are glad you enjoyed everything about the stay and hope to see you again.

Best regards

Mayenne, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stuck in Portsmouth due to bad weather we were lucky enough to find this fantastic boutique hotel. Staff were very pleasant and helpful and arranged a breakfast to go for us as we had to leave very early the next morning. Rooms were spotlessly clean, warm and comfortable. The bed was lovely with white crisp bedding and fluffy pillows. The bathroom had luxury toiletries and huge towels. We stayed in room 7 which had everything we needed, TV, Tea and Coffee making facilities and free WIFI. We will definitely stay here again and have no hesitations in recommending this fantastic little gem.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review, I am glad we could help you when you were stranded in Portsmouth! Breakfast to go is certainly popular and I am pleased you could take advantage of this and enjoyed the room allocated.

We hope to welcome you when you are next stopping in the area.

Best wishes

All at Florence
Northampton. UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Having tried it's sister hotel Stattons (across the road) last year. This time my wife and I decided to try Florence for one midweek night.
We had (mid priced) room #2. Which is the blue one pictured top left on their website gallery.
It is over the front door and faces the road. But you'd struggle to tell that as it was so quiet and peaceful. Beatifully decorated with it's white furniture. The bed is quite ornate, but not over the top, and was pretty comfortable. We both slept well.
The en-suite is very narrow, and features a shower, basin and toilet. Be careful bending over when getting dried. You may burn your backside on the towel rail!!!!
The door to the en-suite needs shutting properly or it will swing open to totally obscure view of the wall mounted tv when lying on the bed.
The shower I have to say was pretty weak. But certainly clean, like the rest of the hotel.
A decent continental breakfast was included. With Full English available at a supplement.
Parking, as others have said is on the street with a provided permit. It works. I didn't get a ticket from the warden.
Would I go back??? Yes. I am in July. Already booked.

Room Tip: The middle priced rooms have a settee. Cheaper ones I'm told do not.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review we are pleased you found your room clean, quiet and comfortable. I'm glad parking was no issue for you and you enjoyed our breakfast service too.

We certainly are looking forward to welcoming you again in the Summer.

Best regards

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I say away a lot with work so spend a lot of time in hotels, usually I stay in chain hotels to get the loyalty points but this hotel is just too nice to miss. The rooms are all beautifully decorated and the service is always great. They even brought the take out I ordered up to my room for me with a tray and knife and folk. I've stayed here several times both with work and with my partner and its been great every time, great breakfast selection with peanut butter! Of the times I've stayed there no annoying kids ether which is always a plus. Great for both work and for a romantic getaway!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for leaving us a review - I'm pleased the hotel suited you for both your business and leisure needs.

We hope to welcome you and your partner again.

Kind regards

All at Florence House.
Derby, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Overall this will be a good review, it is a shame that Tripadvisor do not have a Good rating which is what I would have given this hotel.
Portsmouth is not a cheap place so the value is probably about right, although I have stayed at Stattons the sister hotel which I thought was better for a couple of reasons.
Stattons has off road parking and although the hotel includes a road permit it is still not as secure in the tight roads in Southsea. Also we booked the Florence Hotel but were put into a building across the road Somerset House which was not made clear when booking. not a great problem really but an outdoor trip for breakfast.
The service was very good and helpful and the breakfast was very pleasant and filling and service again at breakfast very good.
The room was well appointed we had Room 4 in Somerset House, couple of points the bed was very creaky and woke you up turning over during the night, if would be even noisier for anything else! As in most convrted house hotels the sound proofing from room to room is not brialliant and you could people snoring in other rooms. One other annoying point was that the keetle lead would not allow you reach the table so the kettle was on the floor.
The rooms were spotless and the shower lovely.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review, it is always nice to welcome guests to our different properties across the group we have in Southsea.

I am sorry you did not like the parking arrangements at the hotel. Generally we do not find guests struggle with parking at all and the permit (free) works well. We are very pleased you experienced excellent reception and breakfast service from our staff and the breakfast suited you.

We hope to welcome you back to one of the group if you visit the area again.

Very best regards

All at Florence House.

Been to Florence House Hotel? Share your experiences!