“Fantastic little place!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic little place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Me and my girlfriend really enjoyed staying at the florence house hotel. It was a pleasant, warm and cosy stay and the staff were very nice and welcoming. The room was clean, bright and decorated to a modern high standard with all facilities..very comfortable bed,sky tv, tea making service,lovely en-suite, etc and plenty of space! In the morning we had breakfast which was very tasty and there's plenty to choose from on the menu. I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and would stay there again! 10 out of 10!!!! Thanks again to all the staff at the florence house hotel:)

Room Tip: Choose the superior room...great price and very nice!!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
DanielFlorencehouse, Manager at Florence House Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2012
Many thanks for your review and comments. We hope to welcome you again soon,

Chris and all the team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

I booked into this hotel over the new year period following the largely positive recommendations on trip advisor. Indeed the hotel is clean and the dining room area is very pleasant however do be warned that the owner of this establishment urgently needs to develop some customer service/people skills as he is exceptionally rude and dismissive.

During my stay it was essential for me to use my computer for work (I actually brought a laptop and Ipad with me due to the importance of being able to access the internet/outlook) and was reassured that the hotel advertised unlimited WI-FI access. On the first night I attempted to access the internet on both the laptop and Ipad to no avail. I checked with my husband who works in IT to double check that the settings on my equipment automatically allowed for the IP address to be read etc.

As the settings were all as they should be I approached the owner (by phone as reception had closed) to ask him whether he could help me access the net. When he appeared from his quarters the owner seemed unhappy to be disturbed, dismissive and thoroughly disinterested proclaiming immediately that "this has happened before" and that it was nothing to do with the connection but "my computer having the wrong security settings" he said that he and his wife were using the net right now and that there was nothing he could do for me.

I informed the owner that I desperately needed to use the internet and asked if we could try typing in the IP address manually. He refused stating that he was not prepared to do this and again advised that it was my computer(s) that had the issue. I asked if I could perhaps use his laptop briefly in the communal area for a few minutes and he simply refused. I have never known such unfriendliness/ poor levels of customer service in all the places I have stayed. I informed the owner that I had checked both computers several times with my husband who works in IT and confirmed that there must be something wrong with the IP connection. I asked whether I could then have a discount on the cost of the room as WI-FI cannot be accessed. The owner stated that he would not give a discount as there was nothing wrong as he was able to use the net. I advised him that as such I would be writing on tripadvisor that WI-FI is not available to customers and magically the very next morning and for the rest of the duration of our stay I was able to access the internet!! Me thinks that the owner knew very well that there was something wrong with the connection as after all if it really had been my computers why would they have magically started working overnight??

Whilst this issue was resolved as it had happened on the first night of a three night stay it really did leave a bitter taste in my mouth. I felt uncomfortable coming down to breakfast and it really spoilt our stay. Had I been able to transfer to another hotel and get my money back I certainly would have. The owners really made us feel that we were an inconvenience in their home - the breakfast timings were not appropriate - we had wanted to be away by 8.00am/8.30am some mornings but they do not serve breakfast until 8.30am at the weekends. The day before new years day they left a note in our room telling us that breakfast would be even later (they could not even be bothered to mention it at check in or at breakfast that day) - are they really putting their customers first or their own desire for a lay in? It would have been nice to have been asked.

Lastly I would point out that the photos on their website are distorted and the alleged 'Delux' room was too small for me and my relative who lived out of our cases on the floor. We literally had to take it in turns to get ready as we got in each others way. Finally the shower facilities were clean but poor as the shower only gave out a dribble of water.

Breakfast was basic to say the least - their selection of pastries amounted to Croissants everyday it became a bit of a joke :) and a cooked breakfast was £8.50 I believe - once again demonstrating the real "I can't be bothered" attitude towards making guests feel comfortable.

I would definately not recommend this hotel to anyone - particularly not business guests who require early starts and access to the internet.

What a shame..............

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Firstly, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

I am very glad you found the hotel clean and the dining area pleasant but the remainder of your review we read with much disappointment.

I am sorry you experienced issues with the Wifi connection and did not receive the help that you required. We can only apologise for the experience you had. We have, as you heard, experienced trouble with our internet and we have now upgraded this to ensure that guests experience only faultless wifi service that does not cause them problems.

Regarding breakfast times. Generally over the New Year it is rare to find a guest that wants to have breakfast early and we actually find this preferable to guests to be seated later after a lie in. Rest assured it makes absolutely no difference to staff because telephones must be manned and other matters attended to so staff were certainly not trying to have a lie in. We certainly would have served you an earlier breakfast if requested.

I am sorry that you had trouble with the shower – this is not something we have experienced before and we would have liked having this brought to our attention before you left so we could have resolved it for you to make your stay more comfortble. Deluxe rooms have a spa bath in them not a shower so I am unsure of where you were staying to look into this further but we have performed a full check of all showers. Photos are not distorted in any way – this would be misleading – they are however designed to show the full breadth of the room with all features rather than just a small area of the room.

Regarding the cooked breakfast charge we decided to bring this about a year ago after finding that many guests, particularly during the week, did not actually want cooked breakfast and a continental was sufficient. Accordingly we reduced room rates to add flexibility here and better value for money for those not wanting to have a cooked option.

Once again I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay. We would be delighted to welcome you again with a preferential rate or complimentary upgrade where available – please just contact us and we will help you further. We would like to show you the hotel as the relaxing place it is designed to be and as other reviews show.

Very best wishes

Newport, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay at the Florence House Hotel. We used this hotel as a temporary residence during a transatlantic move. Without a doubt, the hospitality and warm hearts of the faculty was a constant factor during our visit. The attention and care delivered to guests easily compares to that of a quality B&B. I would certainly stay there again and would most definitely recommend the Florence House Hotel to friends and family alike.

Room Tip: Let them know if you have pets in advance.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments, we are thrilled you had such a good stay!

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

Best described as "a corner of Chelsea in a corner of Portsmouth".
Myself and my partner stayed for one night, visiting my daughter at the University, having booked through booking.com. 10/10 from us. The room was delightful with large screen SkyTV, en-suite, very comfortable bed with quality duvet and sheets, etc. We were even given a business parking permit as parking is not easy in that area. Very friendly. Many thanks. Good value for money at £69 B&B for two - for a non-budget hotel ;o)

Room Tip: we stayed on the top floor which was both quiet and had good views
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Thank you kindly for your review! We hope to welcome you again when you next visit your daughter,

Guernsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

I stayed one night with a very small puppy that i had just collected prior to a ferry the next day to Guernsey. I was really impressed with the attitude of the two staff I met who were friendly, polite and went out of their way to assist me. The room i had was convienient for me and good value for money. The hotel has been decorated with taste and i would return if the need arises.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for your review, I am very pleased you found staff welcoming and helpful,

We hope to welcome you again,

Best regards

Devizes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

My wife & I stayed at the Florence House Hotel for 1 night only & booked through Bookings.com. On arrival the receptionist was very friendly & helpful and showed us to our room. She explained the facilties very clearly which included Sky TV (incl Sports) & free wifi.
The room, although compact was very comfortable & clean. Continental breakfast (jncluded in the price) was good with a nice variety of cereals & juices etc. Cooked breakfast was available at additional cost. The hotel is ideally located for shopping & restaurants in Southsea and is only a short walk from the sea. There is off street parking for 3 cars with permits available for street parking. In summary, the hotel offered excellent value for money & we will definitely stay there again when visiting the area.

Room Tip: There is a wide choice of rooms available at Florence House & the sister hotel Somerset House wh...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your review, we are pleased you found the hotel good value for money and we hope to welcome you again,

Many thanks

England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

only stayed 1 night but very clean comfortable hotel, we stayed in their house opposite so had to go back to main hotel in the morning, if this is an issue for you check when booking where your room is,

Room Tip: ring when booking to ask if in main hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your 5* review, we are glad you enjoyed the stay with us,

Very best regards

Chris

Been to Florence House Hotel? Share your experiences!