“Not too bad” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
“Not too bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

This was the second time we ate here, the first was a disaster where we were charged for DRI is we never had and the wait was far too long. This time much better, the service was better and so was the food, it wasn't as busy so that might explain it. Probably will try again soon.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“One of the Best!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

I have driven by on this restaurant on numerous occasions and have wanted to eat here for a while but had been put off by some of the rumours that I had heard about the very slow service.

However, last Thursday I thought i would give it a go to see whether the rumours were true! Well I was very pleasantly surprised and can honestly say that this is one of the best Indian meals that i have ever had (and I have eaten in many different ones in the South East. The decor is very fresh (and different) and compliments the warm ambience of the room. We were promptly shown to a table and our drinks order taken very soon after, along with our order for poppadums. The menu is extensive, with good variety and choice. Our order for mains was taken and our meals arrived in good time. The food was outstanding. Portion sizes were good and everything was fresh. I had Chicken Dansak and it was superb ( I always judge a restaurant by it's Dansak and this was one of the best). The Naan's are huge and very well cooked, as were the side orders of Brinjal and Bindi baji. I was so impressed that I visited again last Wednesday. Nothing was different, the same standards applied. I did mention to the waiter that I had reservations about dining there as i had heard bad things about the service and he did say that they do get problems on Friday's and Saturday's. i appreciated his honesty so it looks like those days are best avoided unless you are happy to be prepared to have a more leisurely meal. Don't let this put you off though as it is worth trying out. I've now found my new favourite Indian restaurant!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Portsmouth England
“Spice is Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

First visit to this newly opened restaurant. Pleasantly surprised. Chic surroundings, no unbearable music. Food was excellent and not too pricey. Will definitely go again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hampshire
“very plush Indian restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Not one to normally write reviews, but felt I had to respond to the recent negative feedback, my wife & I visited Spice Village for the first time last Thursday 21st November following a glowing recommendation from a friend. On entering the restaurant I was overwhelmed by the plush appearance, it seems no expense has been spared with the decor & furnishings, my first thought was, this is going to be expensive, how wrong I was. The service was first class & the food was exquisite. Drinks were no more expensive than the local pub, and the rest rooms were of a very high standard. Like everything in life, you can't satisfy everyone all of the time, however, it always pays to pass the attitude test. We enjoyed it so much, six of us are booked for this Friday.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fareham, United Kingdom
“Early Christmas Meal”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Arrived at 7.20pm for 7.30 reservation (12 people) - eventually left the restaurant at 10.30 - service absolutely appalling - half hour wait to order drinks - starters arrived at 8.45pm - main course at 9.45 pm. If the main meal had not arrived then we were all ready to just walk out. We would not go there again. Several other tables complaining about the service - i.e long wait for food. They have seating for a lot of people but only very few staff (5 or 6 waiters). No manager on duty to complain too - a lot of very unhappy customers - query bills and complaining about the wait!!!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere