“Poor food” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Poor food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Went in on a monday night, the staff were friendly, helpful and inviting. The food however was over priced and poor quality. For the price i expected good quality sushi, what i got was at best very average, some of it was almost inedible. Much better japanese places in southsea, try nara on albert road.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

32% Recommend
London, United Kingdom
“Worst restaurant we have eaten in- avoid”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

My partner and I recently went to this restaurant for a seven course tasting meal. I will outline what was actually given: one tomato to share was given, a tiny piece of miso seaweed was given, some soup that was barely edible, two tiny pieces of salmon, the seaweed rolls and two chicken skeweres. The food was not enough to feed anyone, portion sizers were tiny. Secondly the food was not cooked to any proper standard, the chicken was barely done so I could not eat it. It looked raw. The taste of the food was poor, I have cooked far better myself.

In addition to the tiny portion sizes and the poor taste, we were constantly interrupted by the manager. She was trying to push us to buy other food and kept on giving us explanations. This may be helpful for some time, but not every five minutes which was interfering and rude. There was no respect for us.

Finally they rudely put on a 10 per cent service charge with the bill so you do not get the option of deciding whether you want to tip. All in all, I ended up starving hungry, food was terrible and the experience was dreadful. Shoulld pay their customers to go to the place, dreadful experience. Plese avoid at all costs!!!!! I have eaten at other japanese restaurants and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

• Visited December 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Portsmouth
“Couldn't use my groupon voucher”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I bought a groupon voucher to use for November. Shame they didn't reply to emails, or return phone calls. I had to get a refund from Groupon (well, annoyingly a credit) because I couldn't ever get through to book. Very annoying.

Visited November 2013
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

My girlfriend and I enjoy japanese food and so were excited when we bought a Seven-Course Tasting Menu for Two from Groupon. While the food was not terrible it wasn't great and if they were hoping to encourage people to come back following their tasting experience they failed badly. The portions were small which was to be expected although the tiny amount of sushi we received was a surprise. A shame as the atmosphere was good but the food was so average that i don't think we'll be visiting again any time soon.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Reading, United Kingdom
“Vegetarian food with seafood inside??? Disgusting food and service!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Three of us dining, One Vego and one pregnant and partner. Looked good from the outside with a decent menu, normally would search trip advisor if I was going to a new place but this looked good from the outside and wasn't familiar with the area.... Oh how we were wrong. Checked with the waitress if the seafood was fresh. Waitress replied YES! I ordered the Seafood Udon soup in that case. Would have happily chose something else if it wasnt. We also ordered Mussels,mixed grill platter, dumplings, Edamame beans and a side of chips. Vego Friend ordered the veg tempura and veg Ramen soup with a 'vegetarian' seaweed broth. Mussels came out cold and rubbery, They tasted like they had been defrosted on a bench, put in the bowl and the hot broth poured on top defiantly not fresh and mussels themselves were not up to the temperature of the broth. We ate 2 and sent them back. Told the waitress they are not fresh like we were told, she tried to tell us they were fresh and from today. We didn't want a replacement as it would have been all the same again. Dumplings, tempura veg, edamame beans and chips were fine, nothing special. Seafood Udon was not fresh but edible.

Mains came out. Grill platter was tiny and NOT fresh. No surprise there. My friends Vegetarian ramen soup came out with this odd looking white disk with pink around the edges???? We called the waitress over to ask what it was, she had no clue so checked with the chef and he said it was Fish!!! Bloody fish in a Vegetarian option. My friend being a strict vegetarian for 15 years felt instantly sick. We explained this to the waitress and asked for the bill as we had enough by then. She brought the bill over expecting us to pay for everything. We told her that we would not pay for the Vegetarian soup or the cold defiantly not fresh mussels. She called her boss and came back to the table saying there was a language barrier between the kitchen and waitress and that the processed fish disk is a veg product! Bulls**t!!! We told her we are not paying the full bill as you cant expect her to eat that after telling her its fish. Meanwhile she called her boss and I googled that disk to find out if she was telling the truth..... Ummm NO!!! It was defiantly processed white fish. Explaining this to the waitress and getting a response of "OH I dont know im just the waitress".... Exactly its your job to bloody know what you are selling and to be able to communicate with the kitchen. What if she had an allergy or something! Waitress called her boss again to come back and say If we could pay for everything else except the soup and out of the own waitresses pocket she would pay the rest. I cant believe her disgusting boss would expect her to do that. We told her no that isn't fair we are not paying for both those dishes and nor is she. Her boss is the one who needs to deal with this now. So she called the boss AGAIN who would be here in 5 mins who proceeded to tell us we had to pay the FULL bill.... bla bla bla. "Its a home made product made from a flower" then changed her mind and said she would try and find the packet for the disks from the kitchen. Couldn't produce anything of course!!! Thought it was home made?!
In regards to the mussels she told us they were ALSO fresh but a few seconds later explained she gets them in fresh and freezes them straight away. UHHHH so in that case they would not be fresh then. Basically she just bulls**tted her way through what ever she could to get the most money out of us. We told her were are not paying the full bill at all which I thought was fair. So she called the Police to deal with it. She came back to us and said So how much you want to pay?? We said for what we ate!!! Like from the bloody beginning as this should have never gone this far. The bill would be reduced by 11 pounds which we might have been ok with paying before all this but since she was so rude yelling at us and dealing with this so poorly we decided to wait for the police to come. We were told it could be upto 1 1/2 hours wait for them to arrive. By this time we were fed up. Policed showed up 15 mins later thankfully and we settled on 40 pounds. Owner wanted more but if you ask me they were lucky to even get that much. They still had the nerve to charge us service charge. REALLY???!!! What bloody service. A waitress who has no idea and a owner who is a lier and has no idea how to deal with complaints and customers in general. She should not own a restaurant!!!
We did get an apology from her in the end.. Just! And to the Owner I hope you read this and actually do something about the way you run a restaurant.Thank you for ruining our time in South sea.
DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY HERE.and please dont bring anyone Vegetarian and you cant trust the food nor the staff!
****Worst Service I have EVER had and worst food I have had in a long time. Never been in that situation before and I hope no one else will experience the same thing we have at @asian Japanese tonight. Play it safe and if you really want Japanese go to the 2 other places in Portmouth as im sure they are 100 times better.

• Visited November 2013