“Cheap but clean” 3 of 5 stars

4 Florence Road, Portsmouth PO5 2NE, England   |
London, United Kingdom
“Cheap but clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

We were two couples and had two double rooms one with private bathroom and it was just what we were looking for. It was clean and the location is also good.
I could not believe the price, it was excellent value, I will stay there again no doubt and I have recommended it to all my friends for a very affordable break in great Portsmouth.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

Having stayed in hostels in Europe and Australia, this was the first time I've ever booked a hostel in the UK. Based on past experience, I was expecting something basic, yet sanitary and functional. How wrong was I! The building immediately smells of cigarette smoke and wet dog (possibly also weed). Negotiated the grumpy woman on reception who told me to warn my friends who had stayed the previous night to be quiet or they would be thrown out. I told her I was neither their mother or father and they could do what they liked.

Went up to my room, which was basically a bedsit. A large sparse room with a dirty bed and floor, and a feature of some kind of mould creeping up one corner of the room. didn't dare look in the bathroom. Turned around and left and checked in the lovely hotel next door instead who luckily had a room for me.

I was told later on that this place acts as a sort of halfway house for those who need it, so be prepared to meet some, err,.. 'characters'.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Can't complain at all, friendly staff, clean basic rooms. For £15 a night I coulnt have asked for more, didn't have the breakfast so can't comment on the good. Clean enough, bed, shower & toilet...token strange Irish dude thrown in for free!

• Stayed November 2013
Sutton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We got there to check in and upon arrival we noticed this stench of cigerette smoke, the lady behind the desk was really unfriendly, and everything looked so dirty so we just left it we didn't want to be there another moment. Yes it was a cheap room but still there is no excuse for bad hygiene!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Wodonga, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

But as much as it's average, I have zero complaints about the value and the cleanliness.... The staff were quiet and are not what any hostel needs, but just take into consideration that this is Portsmouth and well if you're staying there it's generally not to party it up like you would in some other major cities! So I can't ask for to much other than to be clean, safe and reasonably priced, to which these guys were.... So thanks!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

The backpackers has all the facilities you require, kitchen, lounge/tv/games room with a pool table. The lounge is a smells a bit funky and the couches are very grotty. I stayed in a 4 bed dorm, the bedding looked well lived in. The shower wasn't the best and would fill up very fast so you couldn't stay in there long unless you were happy to see flood the tiny space. It was warm and I had a good nights rest, there was a window. My light didn't work. Overall for £17/night, you can't really complain. But I think it was noted being cheaper at the door, so might pay to book direct rather than Hostelworld. Half hour walk to station or 6 minute taxi ride. It is close to the waterfront/park area. Though if you were going for a holiday then I would recommend going to stay somewhere on Isle of Wight. The young lady that greeted me was pleasant. The place is just old fashioned, so if you don't mind and just want a place to stay, then it's not that bad.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Plymouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I travelled with the previous reviewer, and echo his comments. We arrived and had to wait 20 mins for someone to answer the door, (even though the guy checking us in had seen us pull up in the car, whilst he was outside smoking), to find out that the main door was broken and you can just push it to open it, Room ok'ish, 1st night was ok'ish, (due to no security to get in main door) 2nd night went out and they had fitted a new lock, they didn't call, text, email, or leave a note on the door to tell us the code, or leave a new number that we could call to obtain the code, even though they had both my mobile number and email address. Therefore we were locked out for the night, and had to sleep in the car (lucky I had car keys with me), no real apology from staff, and made it sound like it was our fault for being out late!!! We had to fight for money back. there is better accommodation close by for a little extra.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Portsmouth and Southsea Backpackers Lodge? Share your experiences!