The hotel is very well located and is only a 15 minute walk away from Gunwharf Quays and the Spinnaker plus another 10 minutes to reach the historic dockyard. If you wish you can follow the coastal 'Millennium walk' which follows the sea wall and takes in many of the historic parts of Portsmouth complete with information boards.
Parking could have been a problem because there are only a very limited number of places on site, as a result we had to get a parking pass from reception each day throughout our 3 night stay and park on the road outside. However this wasn't a major issue because there were ample free spaces in close proximity to the hotel.
When booking we paid extra for an executive room but were very disappointed. The room (number 630) itself was spotlessly clean and well furnished with a 40" flat screen TV, air conditioning, bathrobes and plenty of toiletries. It was the bathroom which was the problem, it was the smallest I have ever seen in any hotel room anywhere in the world. It was so small that it was impossible to find any floor space to put down the bathmat. On opening the door, which almost touched the toilet immediately in front, you had to step to one side of the toilet then close the door in order to reach the basin. Fortunately we are not on the large side but had we been it would have been very difficult. I can't believe that other rooms in the hotel, whether executive or standard, can have such a small bathroom and assume we were just unlucky.
However one benefit of being up on the 6th floor was a great view of the Spinnaker which is lit up at night.
As usual in a Holiday Inn you have to pay a substantial sum for wi-fi access which I find totally unacceptable in the modern world because it costs nothing to provide.
In general we ate at Gunwharf Keys because it offered a great choice of restaurants (mainly chains but I do recommend the Old Custom House), however we did eat in the Traders restaurant at the hotel one night. Service was slow and we had to ask for our wine twice but the meal itself was surprisingly good. I had an excellent rib eye steak which was perfectly cooked and my wife's lamb was also good quality meat which was well cooked, they were both accompanied by some of the best chips I've had in a very long time (years). The restaurant itself doesn't have much character and there is no windows or natural light but I'd eat there again (if only for the chips !).
Breakfast was buffet style with the tea/coffee served at the table. It was OK but, as is often the case with buffets, the food is only warm and can dry out. There was plenty of choice and overall I've no complaint.
Overall it was a good hotel in a great location let down by a tiny bathroom, if we are in the area again then I would choose the hotel but wouldn't upgrade.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Portsmouth Hotel
- Holiday Inn Portsmouth Hotel Portsmouth
- Portsmouth Holiday Inn
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located near the seafront in Portsmouth in the heart of Hampshire within easy access of the M27 MotorwayOnly a five minute walk from Old Portsmouth where you can spend a nautical day discovering the famous Historic Dockyard and ships HMS Victory, HMS Warrior and the Mary RoseThe leisure and shopping destination Gunwharf Quays near the Spinnaker Tower is set on the waterfront and minutes from the hotel with designer label stores, cinema, bowling alley, comedy club and numerous bars and restaurants. Port Solent is one of the south coast s most impressive marinas with shops, restaurants, bars and a cinemaThe hotel consists of 165 en-suite fully air conditioned bedrooms, Spirit Health Club, Academy Conference Centre, Restaurant, Bar and Lounge AreaThe excellent accommodation has all the comforts you would expect from a first class hotel including interactive TV's with movies and Play Station Games and high speed internet accessThe facilities include Restaurant, 24 hour Room Service, Lounge and Bar Area and complimentary use for residents of the Spirit Health Club with gym, indoor pool, Jacuzzi and sauna. The hotel has 9 conference and training rooms and can accommodate from 2-150 delegates in the fully air-conditioned Academy Conference Centre with wireless internet access and all day tea and Starbucks coffee. Accessible & Family Rooms available. Kids Stay & Eat Free (terms and conditions apply)The hotel has limited onsite parking but can supply permits for in house guest for the ample parking surrounding hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Agoda, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Orbitz, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Venere so you can book your Holiday Inn Portsmouth reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.