“Brilliant Food!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Food!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Ashby's are probably the best Gastropub in Portsmouth! The food was absolutely amazing, the venue and atmosphere is also really relaxing and enjoyable. The staff are friendly, knowledgeable about food and wine and it was a pleasure to dine there. There is clearly a lot of thought and pride that goes into the restaurant and the food it produces. The menu selection is delicious and I cannot recommend Ashby's enough!

Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
“great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Good food, excellent service. Laurent was a fantastic host. Honestly the best meal had in a long time. chef came to our table and asked if everything was ok and if we had a good evening.Wot a bonus. Will come back again Ashbys

Visited October 2013
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Wonderful end to our holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Food, service and ambience were really excellent. I had found a menu online and was already drooling. When we arrived the menu was under redevelopment with new dishes being tried out. However, I wasn’t disappointed. There was plenty of variety and more to drool over. The young man serving us was knowledgeable about the menu and very helpful in answering our questions. Service was patient, quick, well organised and professional.

It’s a long time since I’ve seen my tiny, frail, 94 year old mother work her way through 3 courses with no waste (the portions are very generous) and it was the first time ever that I’ve seen my picky, 30 year old son, with a small appetite, eat 3 courses! My mother and husband are by no means strangers to Coq au Vin but have never had one with such depth of flavour. My son was worried about the pesto (doesn’t normally like it) in the cream, pesto and white wine sauce with the Chicken and Mushroom Linguine but the chef went light on the pesto, especially for him. (Certainly cooked to order and he loved it.) I’ve never been a fan of sweet and savoury dishes and have always avoided them when eating out. However, I decided to try the Confit Duck Leg with a Cherry and Port Sauce. I needn’t have worried. The meat was tender, the skin beautifully crisp (though next time I might ask if the sauce can be poured around the duck rather than over – just for me). The cherry, port sauce didn't give a harsh contrast to the savoury duck. It was a subtle, but delicious, blend. Absolute bliss!

So it was an education of the palate all round and a wonderful climax to the end of our holiday. Many thanks, Ashbys!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Perfect evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I celebrated my 22nd birthday at ashby's, it was a little different to how I expected it to be but was blown away by the excellent service which was provided, the amazing food which was all cooked to order and presented beautifully. There were 10 guests all together and everyone said how lovely the night was! Will definatly be coming back for another visit, thank you ashby's!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Southsea
“Usually deserted - which is a pity”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I'm amazed at the number of reviews this place has got because I've rarely seen another living soul in there. Its possible to walk in, sit at the bar for 10 minutes and walk out again without ever seeing customers or staff. Maybe its self-service?

Its a pity because it nicely decorated with good private seating areas and reasonable food, but they really seem to depend on business from their hotel guests.

For goodness sake Ashby's make some effort to get more customers in and generate some ambience!

• Visited June 2013